What's new

Eyes burn/itch when i smoke

Anyone else's eyes burn whenever they smoke? Mine get itchy and inflammed along the lash line primarily. I suspect it's some sort of blepharitis. Any way around this or am I doomed? 😆

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Or ….

8AE3B158-2B67-4328-AA9C-79E15EAF17D3.jpeg

;)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Honest to God considered goggles lol. Haven't been smoking as much since this started happening and it sucks. Churchwardens don't help too much. Might just search for the perfect pair of goggles that don't look too goofy 😅

Ah, it’s a recent thing? They sell protective glasses with foam seal around the edges. Looks almost normal.

Ah, it’s a recent thing? They sell protective glasses with foam seal around the edges. Looks almost normal.
Started after I contracted covid a year ago. Eyes got itchy shortly afterwards, eyelashes shed, then it subsided and only comes back when I smoke now. Definitely not the "long haul" symptom I'd have preferred. All I've got are my razors, books, and my pipe tobacco. My only solace really. But burny itchy eyes really is a bummer and detracts from the more meditative qualities of pipe smoking.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do get that occasionally, but not often. Sometimes I get post smoke sneezing fits too. It tends not to occur (with me) unless there's already a sensitivity from something else, such as hay fever, tiredness, dehydration, or maybe in your case not having fully recovered from a prior illness.

The fix (again, for me), is simply to address the underlying issue that the smoke is exacerbating. That may be sleep, fluids, antihistamines, or just a bit of time for my body to recover from a prior irritant. I haven't had anything that's needed professional intervention yet, but other folks might benefit from that, and need creams or drops to address the underlying issues properly.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Anyone else's eyes burn whenever they smoke? Mine get itchy and inflammed along the lash line primarily. I suspect it's some sort of blepharitis. Any way around this or am I doomed? 😆
Unless you have an infection, I would start by trying some OTC eye drops a few minutes before you light up.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My wife has "onion" glasses. Sounds like what you're talking about. I'd recommend giving those a shot.

Started after I contracted covid a year ago. Eyes got itchy shortly afterwards, eyelashes shed, then it subsided and only comes back when I smoke now. Definitely not the "long haul" symptom I'd have preferred. All I've got are my razors, books, and my pipe tobacco. My only solace really. But burny itchy eyes really is a bummer and detracts from the more meditative qualities of pipe smoking.
Crap. Yes, inflammation sensitivity does happen. Have you tried one of the OTC 24 hour antihistamines, like Zyrtec, Allegra, etc.? It could be as simple as the smoke, or it could be specific components of your 'baccy.:sad:

Crap. Yes, inflammation sensitivity does happen. Have you tried one of the OTC 24 hour antihistamines, like Zyrtec, Allegra, etc.? It could be as simple as the smoke, or it could be specific components of your 'baccy.:sad:
Even campfires do it to me now. But I do notice aromatics are less uncomfortable to smoke. Which is unfortunate because they are my least favorite. English blends destroy my eyes immediately. I have pounds of tobacco I might no longer be able to smoke because of freaking covid induced blepharitis. Wish there were more effective treatments for bleph. The standard ones help. But the smoke seems to overpower them all. All I can hope for is that the onion glasses I ordered helps. If not I guess that's one more thing i can't enjo6n😪

Top Bottom