What's new

Eyeglass cases

What solutions have the other gentlemen on this forum found concerning eyeglass cases?

Hard cases certainly do provide a maximum of protection for one's glasses, are, however, a bit bulky to to put in the breast pocket of a suit jacket. Soft cases offer some protection against scratching or dropping one's glasses, but they could become bent by a seatbelt in the car or if you casually stuff them into your bag.

Many men here in Germany simply stick their glasses into the breast pocket of their jackets without a case. Some time ago in a railway station, I saw a very well dressed man bend over to pick up something, whereupon his glasses fell out onto the platform. He had my sympathy.

When I was younger, one got a decent case for free with new glasses from an optician/optometrist. Now I'm sorry that I unthinkingly wasted them.

Here is a selection of my eyeglass cases:

Attachments

• P1130679.JPG
    P1130679.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I use a hard case for my prescription glasses. Readers, don't use anything. They end up on my head, in a pocket, stuck in the shirt button flap, where ever.

I do not dress up anymore and I put my sunglasses over the back of my collar when out, trading spots with clear glasses as needed. It stays when bending over although jumping on a trampoline is not advisable.
When traveling, my glasses stay in a hard case. Soft cases are for folks who like to buy new ones more often than myself.

Mine also stay on my face. Sometimes with a leash, depending on what I’m doing.

I’ve got transitions lenses because sunglasses were cut just enough off the prescription from my dailies that they were bothersome.

My back up pair live in a hard case, wrapped in a cleaning cloth to keep them stable in the case and prevent scratches.

Carrying a case for my Executive trifocals doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the fuzzy interior. It certainly helps prevent scratching , but after you spend time carefully cleaning your lenses with Dawn dish soap you take them out of the case and the lenses are loaded with fuzz !
I have only one case without fuzz, it's a thin , cushiony material, something like a styrofoam. Haven't found another one !

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What does bother me is the fuzzy interior. It certainly helps prevent scratching , but after you spend time carefully cleaning your lenses with Dawn dish soap you take them out of the case and the lenses are loaded with fuzz !

Change to a case with rose-tinted fuzz.

it probably won't affect how much fuzz gets on your glasses, but at least it won't look like such a problem once you put them on.

I use a hard shell case, as I sometimes wear my eyeglasses and sometimes do not. I usually stuff them into my pants pocket, as unsightly as that can look and it does not work well with all clothing or situations. If I try to put then in a breast pocket without a case I am afraid that I will forget about them and either drop or crush them.

After getting some sunglasses with frames that required a thicker case, I am now more aware and sensitive on the overall dimensions of the eyeglass + case combo. I would like to some glasses + case combo that was thinner overall or some glasses could be folded in half in between the eyes, but I have not looked for them. When shopping for prescription frames I have never came across folding frames so they must not work very well?? or are not fashionable??

Mine go on my face when I get out of bed, and on the nightstand when I get in bed. I do use clip-on sunglasses and those go in a soft case. If they fall out of my pocket they are protected by the case. When outside the house the sunglasses are clip-ons so no worries.
I've tried the transition glasses a couple of different times over the years but they don't change to clear fast enough when I'm getting in and out of a truck all day. Plus the fact that they don't darken when I'm in the truck. I thought about ordering prescription sunglasses but then I'd be taking a chance of dropping or damaging one pair or the other because of carrying two pair. Clip-ons tilt up so when I need to see better it's easy and no need to take them off and on unless I'm going in the house to stay.

And If you think the clip-ons are ugly think of it this way... When I was a young man I would buy the ugliest sunglasses I could find. They were cheap and nobody would steal them. Plus the fact that I'm not the one who has to look at them.
You do! :)

Carrying a case for my Executive trifocals doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the fuzzy interior. It certainly helps prevent scratching , but after you spend time carefully cleaning your lenses with Dawn dish soap you take them out of the case and the lenses are loaded with fuzz !
I have only one case without fuzz, it's a thin , cushiony material, something like a styrofoam. Haven't found another one !

The world seems to be full of things that aren't really fit for purpose - that were only unthinkingly made to get the money.

I mostly keep my glasses on my face all day. For while I was wearing contacts and using reading glasses, and screwing around carry reading glasses was a hassle.

My regular glasses darken somewhat in bright sunlight, but if I am going to be outside for any significant amount of time, I like having prescription sunglasses readily available. For instance, if I am playing golf. In that instance, I sometimes have the glasses I am not wearing on a leash around my neck, but most often use a fairly thick leather slip-in case, I have had for decades. It is soft and bulky. Not bad for throwing in the cubby of a golf cart or in a golf bag, but annoying to carry in a pocket.

I use a soft PU leather glasses case, which is very convenient to carry around in my bag. Its shell is compression-resistant, so it won't deform even if it's left in a corner.

Soft PU Leather Eyeglass Case 5.jpg

Last week I found this excellent eyeglass case at a chain opticians shop here in Germany. It has a flap, but is otherwise hard. It reminds me of the cases I had when I was young. I don't really like the kind the kind that snap shut.

DSCN5626.JPG
DSCN5627.JPG

Top Bottom