What's new

Extremely rare Schick injector slant razor!!

Do you have any before and after pictures?

You should have seen my first Wade and Butcher.

Ha, never took before and after. I remember get that "You lather well, I'll shave well" straight and thinking it would take some elbow grease to get it going. Well, it was just dirt. Wiped right off.

I know it is not an uncommon razor and not very expensive to replace, it took me several hrs. But man it is satisfying to bring something that far. I just hope it shaves good enough to be worth the effort. I should find out tomorrow.
:a14:
Reminds me that I have to get after the broken handle on my Type G.

:a14:
Reminds me that I have to get after the broken handle on my Type G.

Thank you.

I'm actually hoping to find a type e or g with a messed up handle at an antique store, so I can try making a new handle for one. I would like to make a longer handled version but I don't want to scrap a good handle to do it.

I'm actually hoping to find a type e or g with a messed up handle at an antique store, so I can try making a new handle for one. I would like to make a longer handled version but I don't want to scrap a good handle to do it.
That should not be too hard, since you don't even have to tap the hole.
Ooh - I bet a piece of rosewood would look nice, next to the brass.
Or take a bone or ivory-like handle from a piece of written-off vintage cutlery.

That should not be too hard, since you don't even have to tap the hole.
Ooh - I bet a piece of rosewood would look nice, next to the brass.
Or take a bone or ivory-like handle from a piece of written-off vintage cutlery.

Rosewood would work well with the brass.
Dang it, now I have to find one. I was thinking acrylic or Tru-Stone Dang it maybe I need to find several.

Can’t wait to hear how it shaves! It looked like such a sad mess before.

I’m amazed at how good it looks now!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I decided to give this razor a new lease on life. To start I completely disassembled it.

View attachment 969476 View attachment 969477 View attachment 969478 View attachment 969479

Then straightened it out. Polished it up and reasonabled it. Then discovered it was more complicated than I thought. And I didn't think it would be simple. There was play in the guard bar and the blade blank could side around a bit when pressure was applied. So I redisassembled it tweaked it a bit reassembled found another issue redisassembled etc. Etc. ECT. There are a lot of angles that have to line up properly for everything to work properly. I lost track of how many times I had to disassemble and tweak things. I'm pretty persistent.

View attachment 969480 View attachment 969482 View attachment 969483

And I believe it paid off. There is no play in the guard bar or blade and everything looks very straight. I will test the shave very carefully when I get a chance.

This is very BOSC. I am extremely impressed.

Thank you.

Do you have the tools to reproduce the G handle shape using wood or acrylic?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So I decided to give this razor a new lease on life. To start I completely disassembled it.

View attachment 969476 View attachment 969477 View attachment 969478 View attachment 969479

Then straightened it out. Polished it up and reasonabled it. Then discovered it was more complicated than I thought. And I didn't think it would be simple. There was play in the guard bar and the blade blank could side around a bit when pressure was applied. So I redisassembled it tweaked it a bit reassembled found another issue redisassembled etc. Etc. ECT. There are a lot of angles that have to line up properly for everything to work properly. I lost track of how many times I had to disassemble and tweak things. I'm pretty persistent.

And I believe it paid off. There is no play in the guard bar or blade and everything looks very straight. I will test the shave very carefully when I get a chance.
Dude, I had know idea you had those skills!!! Really beautifully done!!! I tend to be more of a "hold my beer" DIY'er, which means I would've been swearing, crying and probably given up after the 2nd or 3rd try at reassembly. That is extremely cool!!!!

Impressive!

My sincere congrats!

This is very BOSC. I am extremely impressed.

In case this repair isn't BOSC enough check out this shave and let me know if I qualify.
@Tanuki Ok I got really silly this morning. But I did also discover a way to make the scent of Arko tolerable. I mixed a little bit of Arko with some Cremo Cooling.

Here are the tools of choice for today's shave.

View attachment 966522 View attachment 966523 View attachment 966524 View attachment 966525

All 6 of my Gems an Eveready and a Star. Just for the front of the neck and the cheeks (I Have a beard) all with the second use Pal carbon blade for the first pass. Then switched to the gem ptfe 13th use in the Bullet tip for second pass and clean up.
Quickly ditched the old blade, threw in a new one and finished up. Then grabbed the Schick g and took care of the back of neck. So 9 razors and 4 blades used for one shave.

Do you have the tools to reproduce the G handle shape using wood or acrylic?

Not sure, but I do have tools and a desire to see if I can do it. I would try hand shaping from a block. Eventually I do want to get set up to do Acrylic casting. Then it should be quite easy. SHOULD BE!

Dude, I had know idea you had those skills!!! Really beautifully done!!! I tend to be more of a "hold my beer" DIY'er, which means I would've been swearing, crying and probably given up after the 2nd or 3rd try at reassembly. That is extremely cool!!!!

Thank you.
If you haven't yet you should check out some of the brush handles Ive made.
Here is the most recent. New handle coming soon.

Ok so I've made everyone wait long enough. I tested this razor out today.
Everything went very well. I started on my cheeks because I usually get a good shave there. The skin is tougher than on my neck and it's easier to see what I'm doing.
This razor shaved great. It is milder than my Schick G even with a first use blade.
Absolutely no irritation, even with a decent amount of buffing. I shaved my neck with my Gem Jr. bar first use for me with a third flip gem ptfe blade, but that's another story for another thread.
I then opened the hydro magic lever up, rinsed closed, did a check to be sure everything was in order and cleaned up a few tough spots on my neck. Even with a bit of pressure and buffing I only got the mildest perceivable irritation on the most sensitive spots on my neck. I then took care of the back of my neck with the slim adjustable. I almost never shave with just one razor. And I had not yet used any of these 3 razors, so it was a test drive for all 3 and one of the best shaves I've ever gotten.

20190405_114442_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom