What's new

Extremely rare Schick injector slant razor!!

Okay I got your attention.
I should have posted this yesterday
I did acquire the razor yesterday April1st.
@Twelvefret do you think this razor is savable.
My friend picked up two of them the one was near mint, just needed a little cleaning. It had a blank in it so it may have never been used.
This one also has a blank in it bit looks like it got squished and has a finger print that looks like dried on factory greas.

20190402_110323_HDR~2.jpg
20190402_110304_HDR~2.jpg
20190402_110234_HDR~2.jpg

You might be able to bend them back in shape, but why try. I wouldn't try to use them--it's easier to just buy new ones.

I would not take a chance on an injury myself. I do like the Hydro Magic mechanism. You might like a Golden 500.

Risk of injury would come from, improper blade gap? Or the repair process?

It was given to me and I don't get much of a budget for shave gear so it's tempting to try to fix it.

Are all Golden 500s hydromagics? I do like the longer handle razors.

Risk of injury would come from, improper blade gap? Or the repair process?

It was given to me and I don't get much of a budget for shave gear so it's tempting to try to fix it.

Are all Golden 500s hydromagics? I do like the longer handle razors.

Yes the varying gap.

It’s free and brass so see what you can do

So if I straightened it out and checked it with feeler gauges and I got the gap even it should be safe?

I bet someone tried to remove a blade without an injector key.
So if I straightened it out and checked it with feeler gauges and I got the gap even it should be safe?
Go for it. :thumbsup:
I would just be especially cautious about not breaking the plastic handle.

So I decided to give this razor a new lease on life. To start I completely disassembled it.

20190404_114146_HDR~2.jpg
20190404_114216_HDR~2.jpg
20190404_121246_HDR~2.jpg
20190404_121834_HDR~2.jpg

Then straightened it out. Polished it up and reasonabled it. Then discovered it was more complicated than I thought. And I didn't think it would be simple. There was play in the guard bar and the blade blank could side around a bit when pressure was applied. So I redisassembled it tweaked it a bit reassembled found another issue redisassembled etc. Etc. ECT. There are a lot of angles that have to line up properly for everything to work properly. I lost track of how many times I had to disassemble and tweak things. I'm pretty persistent.

20190404_162121_HDR~2.jpg
20190404_162309_HDR~2.jpg
20190404_162357_HDR~2.jpg

And I believe it paid off. There is no play in the guard bar or blade and everything looks very straight. I will test the shave very carefully when I get a chance.

So I decided to give this razor a new lease on life. To start I completely disassembled it.

View attachment 969476 View attachment 969477 View attachment 969478 View attachment 969479

Then straightened it out. Polished it up and reasonabled it. Then discovered it was more complicated than I thought. And I didn't think it would be simple. There was play in the guard bar and the blade blank could side around a bit when pressure was applied. So I redisassembled it tweaked it a bit reassembled found another issue redisassembled etc. Etc. ECT. There are a lot of angles that have to line up properly for everything to work properly. I lost track of how many times I had to disassemble and tweak things. I'm pretty persistent.

View attachment 969480 View attachment 969482 View attachment 969483

And I believe it paid off. There is no play in the guard bar or blade and everything looks very straight. I will test the shave very carefully when I get a chance.

I am impressed. That razor is going to become your favorite. :)

I know it is not an uncommon razor and not very expensive to replace, it took me several hrs. But man it is satisfying to bring something that far. I just hope it shaves good enough to be worth the effort. I should find out tomorrow.

Reminds me of my first straight razor hone. There is something about repairing and making it run that's too cool to describe. I like to thinker a bit myself.

Reminds me of my first straight razor hone. There is something about repairing and making it run that's too cool to describe. I like to thinker a bit myself.

Do you have any before and after pictures?

You should have seen my first Wade and Butcher.

Top Bottom