What's new

Extremely Hard Water

Hi all. I know that this topic has been covered previously, and I have read previous threads, but thought I would ask again.

I often travel to Mining Camps in Australia. The water quality varies tremendously, from sweet as sugar (if water softening and a Reverse Osmosis water treatment plant is in place), to hard as a cat's head (if groundwater is used with minimal or no softening).

At one camp with extremely hard water, I have tried a number of travel soaps, with generally terrible results, despite trying various lathering techniques. The soaps that did not work for me are Valobra stick, Cella, Haslinger Tallow, La Toja stick, Lea stick, and Speick stick. I have also tried Musgo Real shaving cream, again with poor lather. The only soap that gave me a half-decent lather is Wholly Kaw.

As many of the soaps that did not lather well are recommended soaps from previous threads, I thought I'd ask for further thoughts and recommendations.

When you get to one of the camps with treated water, fill up a gallon jug or several liter bottles. It only takes about 1 Tablespoon (15 ml of water) to build lather for shaving, so even a liter of water will last quite a while.

Many traditional shaving soaps are not designed for use with hard water. Some of the artisan soaps do fare better in hard water. However, since you are not facing hard water on a daily basis, carrying some soft water with you might be the least expensive option.

Thanks, lads.
Plan on the next trip to this camp is to try Tabac, and pack some citric acid as standby. Bottled water is a possibility, but I'm a hot water shaver, and there is no means to heat water in my Donga (unless I pack a kettle).
Speaking of citric acid, I make up my own coffee descaling solution using dry citric acid. Works just as well as the fancy brand descaling solutions (same base ingredient, in fact), but for 7% of the cost.

I'd think, if you take soft water have enough for the brush and up to 4 tsp for the mix. Let us know as you experiment, please.

When you get to one of the camps with treated water, fill up a gallon jug or several liter bottles. It only takes about 1 Tablespoon (15 ml of water) to build lather for shaving, so even a liter of water will last quite a while.

Many traditional shaving soaps are not designed for use with hard water. Some of the artisan soaps do fare better in hard water. However, since you are not facing hard water on a daily basis, carrying some soft water with you might be the least expensive option.
I guess 1 tablespoon is like 3 teaspoons? Sounds about right to me.

I guess 1 tablespoon is like 3 teaspoons? Sounds about right to me.

1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 15 ml

That is certainly enough to get the lather started. You might need to add a little more water to get the right hydration level, but that added water would not have to be the soft water.

1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 15 ml

That is certainly enough to get the lather started. You might need to add a little more water to get the right hydration level, but that added water would not have to be the soft water.
Probably depends on how much water your brush holds

I have never heard of this! I have water that you could break a tooth on and have resorted to using distilled! I am going to give this a whirl!

Vr

Matt
There is a nice thread here somewhere about hard water and citric acid etc.. do you not search it I don't know if it's @Cal who started the thread I could be wrong sorry if I'm wrong Cal.

I have Le Pere Lucien and Martin de Candre in some IGo travel jars. I usually bring a bunch of other soaps with me in travel containers and almost always end up going with the Le Pere Lucien as it lathers pretty easily in the absolute worst water I've found on the planet.

Top Bottom