What's new

Extra Hollow ground razors?

I have two full hollow ground razors. One vintage and one new Dovo. What are some quality extra hollow ground razors? Vintage or new.

I am interested in trying one out to see the difference between an extra hollow and a full hollow. Is the difference that big?

Thanks,

Various vintage manufacturers had "extra" hollow models...dubl duck comes to mind (available but pricey), Genco made a bunch (available not so pricey)...there are loads of other "singing" blades out there!

I have two full hollow ground razors. One vintage and one new Dovo. What are some quality extra hollow ground razors? Vintage or new.

I am interested in trying one out to see the difference between an extra hollow and a full hollow. Is the difference that big?

Thanks,

More than anything, it is fun to try out differant grinds/sizes/steel types/makers/point types to figure out what you prefer! The differance to me is not that great but YMMV:001_cool:

Torrey 'Full Double Concave', tuned A440.

proxy.php

I have an Extra Hollow Ground Double-Crown razor. It shaves something phenomenal, I swear. It's not much of a looker, I'll admit, but if all straight razors shaved as good as that one, people would never have changed to cartridge-razors.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Most of the TI's are extra hollow, their cheapest being the evide sonnant line. Dovo makes an extra hollow prima klang model.

I have two extra hollows. An ebay Dbl Duck satinedge honed by Whipped dog and a new (one week) Dovo Prima Klang. Also two ,I believe hollow grinds, a Top Flight by Durrell Cutlery and a Thistle Cut. Also honed by Whipped Dog.

I am pretty new to all this but I do see a difference in the shave, The Thistle Cut and Top Flight give a good shave and not alot of noise. The extra hollows (Dbl Duck and Prima Klang) seem to give a closer shave . Of course this my be a bit in my head as I am still a novice. One thing is for sure the extra hollows are noisy. Singing? I dont mind but at first I thought my technique was off when I heard the "scraping" sound. Actually I still get comments that I must have too great an angle if I hear a noise but hey it works for me.

The extra hollows (Dbl Duck and Prima Klang) seem to give a closer shave . Of course this my be a bit in my head as I am still a novice.

I don't have an extra hollow, but I know that my wedge doesn't give me as close a shave as my full hollow.

Most of the TI's are extra hollow, their cheapest being the evide sonnant line. Dovo makes an extra hollow prima klang model.
Do you mean older production? I can only speak for the 2 modern TIs that I have, but they are quite a bit stiffer than full hollow.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do you mean older production? I can only speak for the 2 modern TIs that I have, but they are quite a bit stiffer than full hollow.

Good point. I should have said most TI's are advertised as extra hollow. :tongue_sm

Really? The few wedges I have can match any of the hollow grounds in closeness.

All straights should give equally close shaves no matter the grind. if they don't and they are proper sharp you need to hone your skills or figure out what you are missing.

All straights should give equally close shaves no matter the grind. if they don't and they are proper sharp you need to hone your skills or figure out what you are missing.

That's right. They do feel different when using them though but a shave ready straight should give you pretty much the same result, regardless of grind. I had a Le Grelot wedge that never felt like it was greatly sharp when using it but it used to give effortless BBS shaves.

As a rule of thumb, wedges and stiffer grinds tend to be a bit easier to use. Takes a bit more skill to get a good shave out of a very hollow ground razor.

As a rule of thumb, wedges and stiffer grinds tend to be a bit easier to use. Takes a bit more skill to get a good shave out of a very hollow ground razor.
True!

I think the "hardest" razor to get a good shave out of is a +7/8 full hollow.
OTOH, They also give perhaps the best shaves of all :thumbup1:

I have a extra full hollow ERN Crown & Sword.
7/8 & really noisy.
Gives a very nice shave!

Top Bottom