What's new

Extolling the Alum Block

I have the Gentleman Jon's block myself and have really grown to like it.

A easy cure for a slippery alum block is to put a wide tight fitting rubber band around one end. Gives you a slip free grip.

The rubber bands they put around produce like broccoli etc. in the grocery store are a perfect fit.

+1

... There is also Aluminum Alum that is not used for shaving not that much, maybe in styptic pencil. Potassium Alum is a mild salt....
The magic ingredient in styptic pencils is anhydrous aluminium sulfate.
Ammonium alum is the usual for crystal deodorant sticks, but sometimes it's potassium alum. Good luck finding out which alum is used in any particular deodorant stick, even if you visit the manufacturer's web site. All they care about is pointing out that there is no aluminum chlorohydrate in it (which is an antiperspirant), in big bold letters.
I don't think there is such a thing as "aluminum alum".

Speaking of ammonium alum, has anybody tried it as a post-shave product?
Does it feel the same as potassium alum?

The magic ingredient in styptic pencils is anhydrous aluminium sulfate.
Ammonium alum is the usual for crystal deodorant sticks, but sometimes it's potassium alum. Good luck finding out which alum is used in any particular deodorant stick, even if you visit the manufacturer's web site. All they care about is pointing out that there is no aluminum chlorohydrate in it (which is an antiperspirant), in big bold letters.
I don't think there is such a thing as "aluminum alum".

Speaking of ammonium alum, has anybody tried it as a post-shave product?
Does it feel the same as potassium alum?
That’s funny. Alum has aluminum by definition. I’m not sure anyone that would worry about aluminum chlorohydrate would like a more soluble version of aluminum ions in their deodorant. Funny what they can do with words!

Yeah. Just to be clear, what I meant was that there is nothing that should be called or labeled "aluminum alum".
It's like saying "sulphur sulphate".
I understood you. You’re totally correct. I just think it’s funny that since Alum doesn’t specify aluminum in the name that deodorant companies claim they don’t use other aluminum compounds but still use alum.

Regards

63B7DAA8-269B-46D4-853E-13496E72A357.jpeg

My first styptic pencil is now a tiny nub. For about the cost of a styptic pencil, I thought I’d order a block of Osma. First impression: it’s a small block of alum. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. All of your tips have been helpful!

Ammonium alum is the usual for crystal deodorant sticks, but sometimes it's potassium alum. Good luck finding out which alum is used in any particular deodorant stick, even if you visit the manufacturer's web site.
I stand (partially) corrected.
Deodorant Stones of America, which makes these products ...
proxy.php

... have the type listed on their "about us" page - https://www.deodorantstones.com/about-us - which is normally all about corporate history and location.
"Second, the main ingredient in all our products is a natural mineral salt known as potassium alum. "​
and
"Our deodorants are made from potassium alum (KAl(SO4)2•12H2O) is a colorless substance that forms octahedral and cubic crystals."
On their "Compare Ingredients" page, they only show the "Thai" version, as having potassium alum, which is ambiguous as far as the others are concerned.

As it happens, a health food store in my town has the "Pure & Natural" version in cubes, 60 g sticks (same size as an Omega stick at twice the price), and larger 120 g sticks (similar size as a Shavex block at 125 g).
I think I'll go back and buy me one of the large sticks tomorrow.

AND inform the staff that it is indeed potassium alum after all. They did not know when I asked.

Oops.
The image of all three Deodorant Stones of America brands does not seem to want to load, except in the editing view.

"Thai",
proxy.php

"Pure & Natural", and
proxy.php

"Crystalux".
proxy.php

I used the alum block the last two mornings. Kinda like the astringent nature and the tightening of the skin. However, I wonder if the extra rinsing and application negate the great moisturizing of Haslinger soap. Eight hours later, my skin doesn’t feel dry...

And I did get one.
"Pure & Natural" crystal deodorant on left, 120 g
Omega Alum Stick (with about 85 percent remaining), 60 g.
IMG_0117.JPG

I used the P&N tonight, and it seems perfectly fine for post-shave use.
The application was at least as fast as using a block, but you've got this nifty handle to grip. :thumbup1:
Another advantage over the Omega stick is that the transparent cover is flattened at the top, so you can stand it upside-down. I have this idea that any water remaining on it will not then drip down between the alum and the handle, which would dissolve the alum and make it loose in the handle. That happened to my first Omega stick.

Great thread folks..

Just a question about using Alum blocks. I use the TOOBS Alum block. It comes in a small cardboard box which is quite tight fitting as it's all brand new. When you guys use these blocks is it necessary to wash it down under running water after using it (ie if it's been used for a nick or bleed) ... and do you then leave the wet block out in the air to dry before putting it back in its packet or do you dry it down with a towel before putting it away?

What's the correct way to care for it?

Thank you

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I just leave mine out in a soap dish to dry. I suppose if I got it all bloody, I'd rinse it off. But that hasn't happened . . . yet.

View attachment 1011545
My first styptic pencil is now a tiny nub. For about the cost of a styptic pencil, I thought I’d order a block of Osma. First impression: it’s a small block of alum. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. All of your tips have been helpful!

That's the brand I've been using for the last five plus years. Good stuff 👍 You'll find it lasts a LONG time. remarkably good stuff :)

I keep things simple. HOT water in the bowl, stick the flannel in, get it good and soaked, then wrap the flannel around my beard area for about twenty to thirty seconds, apply shaving stick of soap (normally Palmolive at the moment), use a damp (not soaking, not dry, just damp) brush to lather it up, then shave (Gillette Mach 3 atm; I've done DE safety before in a Gillette Slim, but haven't found a blade I like that gives a consistent carve-free result), then wipe off the excess soap with the flannel, and apply a dampened Alum block all over, twice (a dry block tends to stick on my face, not glide, hence dampened). Then, either moisturiser, or aftershave. Currently it's Dove for men post-shave moisturiser, and a few minutes later, I'll apply a solid cologne, in this case it's Ulio & Jack's Explorer.

View attachment 1011545
Osma also makes the "Tradition" alum block that is substantially larger, and comes in a hard clear plastic case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PAA makes deodorant sticks, a bit pasty, in many scents to match their soaps and Aftershaves, and they contain alum. No sure which alum, but I find that they work well, although they go fast and are thus rather pricey. It's nice to be able to coordinate scents though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I also have the OSMA one and it works great. I believe you can get in on Amazon for around $7 with free shipping. I only use it as needed for nicks/weepers and irritation but agree with the prevailing sentiment that it was a "game changer" once I discovered it. I would advise anyone who gets into wet shaving that it's an essential item to have in the den.

Top Bottom