What's new

Extolling the Alum Block

I know there's mixed feelings on alum blocks, but I tried one for the first time today and I think they are great. Not that they are these magical items or anything that work so much better than standard aftershave items, but because they do the job well enough and replace multiple items.

Previously, I was using witch hazel post shave, as well as a styptic pencil for any nicks. An alum block is just much easier. Just rub it on your face to do the job witch hazel does, and any nicks are automatically handled. I do still apply an aftershave, and face lotion, but the block just streamlines the process by combining functions for the other items.

It also works well during a straight razor shave when holding the skin taut. Just rub your fingertips on it and it creates an almost glue like bond on your fingers so they dont slip on your face as your trying to pull the skin tight.

For those that travel a lot, espcially those of you that like to do carry on only, an alum block doesnt have to be factored into liquid volumes since it's a solid. Combine that with a solid shave soap of choice and you can have the basic shave needs met with no liquids or gels.

Haven't tried alum yet, but it is on my list. I'm actually using Thayers Witch Hazel now. My styptic pencil is around somewhere...
I had heard of using them to prevent razors from slipping in your hand, but using them to stretch your skin is a new one. Thanks.

Haven't tried alum yet, but it is on my list. I'm actually using Thayers Witch Hazel now. My styptic pencil is around somewhere...
I had heard of using them to prevent razors from slipping in your hand, but using them to stretch your skin is a new one. Thanks.

Thayer's witch hazel is what I have and was using as well. The alum block is much easier to apply. This is the one I bought, even comes in a plastic case for travel.

Gentleman Jon 3.7 Ounce Alum Block in Plastic Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FA35K02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_58luDb4ZP9XKZ

When i first commenced shaving with a DE i had an Osma alum block which i used occasionally after a shave. I recall that it would make my face and in particular, my neck itchy later in the day. I put this down to leaving it on my face too long before rinsing off.

Fast forward several years, and i had (pieces) of that same block (dropped on the bathroom tiles, naturally) and decided to use it quickly after a shave and rinse off within 30 seconds. This was my gamechanger so to speak. My face has never felt better and then i follow up with aftershave of my choice.

I since bought a different alum (Omega) which has a protective case which i liked the idea of, and it is probably just as good, but i think i'll get the Osma again next time.

It definitely helps me and my face.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It's good stuff. I had never heard of it until I joined this forum. Now I use it everyday. I keep mine in a small Tupperware style container and I keep it on top of some shards of another one that I dropped a while ago. This helps to keep it off the bottom if some water drips off my fingers/hands into the container.

...I recall that it would make my face and in particular, my neck itchy later in the day. I put this down to leaving it on my face too long before rinsing off.

Fast forward several years, and i had (pieces) of that same block (dropped on the bathroom tiles, naturally) and decided to use it quickly after a shave and rinse off within 30 seconds. This was my gamechanger so to speak. My face has never felt better and then i follow up with aftershave of my choice.
That's what I do every day.
  1. Rinse with warm water to get any lather off.
  2. if any nicks, use a styptic pencil on them.
  3. Rub on the alum block all over.
  4. Rinse out sink and lather bowl. That takes about 30 seconds.
  5. Rinse off alum with cold water.
  6. Apply an AS splash.

6. Apply an AS splash.
This.
I use alum daily. I have oily skin. When I don't use alum, my face feels greasy within hours of shaving, regardless of whether I use a splash or balm or nothing.
If I leave the alum on my face too long, my skin starts to itch. The itching stops as soon as I rinse off the alum.
Lately I've been using a potassium alum deodorant stick I bought at a dollar store. Works the same as the expensive stuff, and it comes in its own container for $3.

Interesting you all are rinsing it off after applying it. I just rubbed it on my face and let it soak in like witch hazel. Didnt experience any itching.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use the osma block. Its fantastic. I run it under cold water and apply to damp face after cold rinse. Leave on for a few minutes and rinse with cold water. I rinse and dry the block after each use. Its the highest qualify pure block that doesn't crumble with use. The only downside is it can be a slippery little bugger one drop on tile is fatal

I remember when I was a kid, I was watching a boxing match on television with my dad. In between one of the rounds, the doctor was rubbing something that looked like an ice-cube on the boxer's face. I asked my dad, what is that, an ice-cube to reduce the swelling? He said Alum, to stop the bleeding. Hmmm. Prior to that, my only knowledge of Alum was based on cartoons where its application would immediately shrink whatever it was applied to. A mouse would dump some on a cat's head, for example, and the cat's head would immediately shrink to a point where the mouse could no longer be eaten. Now I use it on my own face, pretty much every day. I used to leave it on after application, and not rinse it off, but I began to have a reaction that would build up over time and turn my face cherry red. That caused me to stop using it for a few years. Then I learned that people actually rinse it off after application, which I tried. Rinsing it off prevents the problem I had with it and makes it good for me to use.

My son, who is shaving now, also uses it too. It also seems to help a bit with his acne, which is great.

My usual routine is to rinse my face and neck with cold water, use the alum block, clean up my shaving equipment, rinse face, and apply Thayers WH.

Thayer's witch hazel is what I have and was using as well. The alum block is much easier to apply. This is the one I bought, even comes in a plastic case for travel.

Gentleman Jon 3.7 Ounce Alum Block in Plastic Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FA35K02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_58luDb4ZP9XKZ
+1 on Gentleman Jon's. Great value and I like the plastic case.

My usual routine is to rinse my face and neck with cold water, use the alum block, clean up my shaving equipment, rinse face, and apply Thayers WH.

+1 My routine as well, but I then splash with aftershave and apply Lubriderm lotion (has no scent and moisturizes great)

Last edited:
I use the osma block. Its fantastic. I run it under cold water and apply to damp face after cold rinse. Leave on for a few minutes and rinse with cold water. I rinse and dry the block after each use. Its the highest qualify pure block that doesn't crumble with use. The only downside is it can be a slippery little bugger one drop on tile is fatal

If your face is already wet there's no need to also wet the alum block separately, take the dry block in your dry hand and apply the block as normal to your wet face, your face is wet enough to work the alum. Same thing if using alum in your armpits. After a shower just don't wipe down, dry your armpits, the dry block will glide and apply no problems.

Long as the block is dry it's not slippery.
dave

I hadn't tried an alum block till this year. Daily routine is:

1. Finish shave, rinse face
2. Apply Alum all over face, forehead, nose, etc.
3. clean up and hit shower
4. Rinse face of alum

I'm prone to acne and other skin blemishes, and noticed that using the Alum block appears to have had a positive impact on that clearing up my face.

I bought and use the Omega in the protective stick/cap as it has no sharp edges and is easier to apply for me. It is more expensive but I lost about half the first block due to sharp edges and fractures. The Omega stick doesn't have an issue like that as of yet.

I'd recommend any wet shaver use an alum block.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use Potassium alum(common shaving Alum) every time I shave and like it. It has been used for other purposes for thousands of years according to my limited research & also it is used in these modern days for other things like cleaning mass amounts of drinking water to canning certain products.... There is also Aluminum Alum that is not used for shaving not that much, maybe in styptic pencil. Potassium Alum is a mild salt.
When I'm done shaving and rinse my face of residual soap I like to leave face wet and apply Alum block over the face and let it sit there and it will indicate how well your shave went also by giving gentle stinging sensation and then rinse with cold water after 30 seconds +.
Apply different aftershaves and good for the next time.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
  6. Apply an AS splash.
Very similar to my routine, except I switch 2 and 3, since the Alum will stop lesser nicks.

I have the Gentleman Jon's block myself and have really grown to like it.

A easy cure for a slippery alum block is to put a wide tight fitting rubber band around one end. Gives you a slip free grip.

The rubber bands they put around produce like broccoli etc. in the grocery store are a perfect fit.

Top Bottom