What's new

Extending the life of DE/SE blades.

Any extra DE blade handling IMO just risks injury over any possible benefit such as extended blade life.

Very true. I'm doing it mostly for science and fun, rather than finding a way how to shave my entire life with a single DE or SE blade. So far everything that i've tried doesn't work even one bit or maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very true. I'm doing it mostly for science and fun, rather than finding a way how to shave my entire life with a single DE or SE blade. So far everything that i've tried doesn't work even one bit or maybe i'm doing it wrong.
This is good to hear. I trust your experience and I’m more than satisfied that I don’t need to do any more maintenance! 😁

I personally don't agree with any of the theories about prep, angle of attack, micro-chipping of the edge etc etc

All these variables remain the same for me and yet at home I get 7-10 uses from Polsilver and at my in-laws I get 4-5.

I read a study last month that basically showed carbonate in tap water builds up on the edge and degrades the sharpness.

I fully agree with this because at my in-laws place, my razor turns white in under a week and at home, it takes around a month or so.

Mineral oil is only going to make a difference with carbon blades which can rust. I just dry my carbon blades and put them away. It’s all a matter of the humidity where you live.
Stropping certainly extends the life of blades. Carbon steel especially. No differently than a straight razor. I find it keeps the edges of my SS PTFE blades tuned up as well.
I use a Stropper designed for SE blades as well as my Valet razors that have the stropping mechanism built in.
I can see where hand stropping by holding on to the spine of the razor and stropping manually could have the effect of rounding off the edge of a blade.
Correct. Only makes a difference with carbon blades. I use vintage blades only of which a very carefully chosen few are carbon. I give them a rinse then a dip in rubbing alcohol. Same effect, less messy. No need with stainless, the "stain" referred to is rust.

Honestly, I couldn't care less how many shaves I get out of the blade.

That said, I always dismantle my razor after each shave, rinse it under hot water and dry it with a paper cloth or toilet paper. I also dry the blade and then insert it back and re-assemble my razor.

FWIW, as I only use one razor (at a time) and one blade type (Feather) I don't have to bother storing blades in paper wraps and dotting them or what not.

I pat my blades dry, and strop each side & edge 5 times. I then put them back into a dry razor. I don’t know if I get more shaves than if I did nothing, but I don’t get tea stains on my razor and I’m getting between 30 & 50 shaves out of a Feather DE blade.
Do you strop DE blades on a leather strop?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thus, blade service life is prolonged
as long as the hair strands are cut as perpendicularly as possible ( = shallow blade angle on high emerging angle stubble and steep blade angle on low
emerging angle stubble) and as long
the blade is stored in protective environment ( low air circulation and low humidity ) .
Perfectly correct. Perpendicular means that you are cutting through as little hair as possible. A saggital slice is gong to make a longer cut and put more wear on the blade.

What I bet many miss is what you call out, you MUST consider the angle your whiskers come out of the skin.

Perfectly correct. Perpendicular means that you are cutting through as little hair as possible. A saggital slice is gong to make a longer cut and put more wear on the blade.

What I bet many miss is what you call out, you MUST consider the angle your whiskers come out of the skin.

I've never considered the angle except to know some directions pull a bit in certain areas of my face. I easily get over 100 shaves/blade.

Many theories sound good, but in practice, the way to get more shaves/blade is to shave more with the same blade. Eventually, our mind adapts without us knowing what changed.

The only blade I try to extend is the GEM and it really works for me. I will normally remove all blades and pat dry and keep.
Only with the GEM blade, I will strop on the linen (with paste) and on leather. So far, that blade is on the 14th use and it is now much smoother and sharper compare to the first few shaves.

I think I disagree.

I think it's likely to be the same wear, or close to it.

A diagonal slice is a longer cut, but less of the hair is cut along that length.

And an mit study showed that a perpendicular cut can cause micro chipping in the blade, on the sides, as the hair bends while being cut.

(Sent from mobile)

At somewhere between .08 and .20 a blade for Astra SP from Amazon. I am one and done.

Life is too short.

Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Not remotely worth the time/talent/treasure/thought.

YMMV greatly.
I put to you that life is too short to miss out on the smoother shaves found after the second use.

But each to his own.

(Sent from mobile)

IMO, I think it can be good to have a glance (how extensive is up to you) through the Excalibur thread, I think there's some great info in there.

Top Bottom