Extending blade life: fact or myth?

Extending blade life: fact or fiction?

• I have a system that works for me

• I'm thinking of trying a system out

• I haven't really thought about it/no interest

• I tried one or more systems with minor or no success

• I'm not interested/I think it's a myth

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this to me is a solution to a non-existent problem. Yes, blades do corrode and go dull, but they are disposable and ENGINEERED and BUILT to be that way. I feel you can only go so far because the blades will dull due to the mechanical shearing action of shaving.
A year on one cartridge? I doubt it, the friction on the plastic head, corrosion from water impurities, soap, etc, will degrade the plastic too.
There's a reason Gillette is selling these heads as opposed to concentrating on DE blades and razors, and that reason is higher profit margin.

I've tried drying the blades on my old cart shavers and I figured I probably did extend the blade life a bit but I'm convinced that a lot of people just put up with dull blades and choose to believe that they are getting a better shave with these systems or techniques than they are. I would like to see some actual objective testing, even if it's just shaving with an old blade with 10 or so shaves under these systems on one side of the face and a fresh blade on the other. I think people would see that there blades are still dulling, maybe a bit slower, but even with only 10 shaves you will probably notice a significant difference when you go head-to-head against a fresh blade.

EDIT: Better yet, do a one month trial with half the shave on a "razor life extending system" and half the shave on a razor receiving no special treatment and let's see if there is any real difference after a month.

Last edited:
I've tried drying the blades on my old cart shavers and I figured I probably did extend the blade life a bit but I'm convinced that a lot of people just put up with dull blades and choose to believe that they are getting a better shave with these systems or techniques than they are. I would like to see some actual objective testing, even if it's just shaving with an old blade with 10 or so shaves under these systems on one side of the face and a fresh blade on the other. I think people would see that there blades are still dulling, maybe a bit slower, but even with only 10 shaves you will probably notice a significant difference when you go head-to-head against a fresh blade.

EDIT: Better yet, do a one month trial with half the shave on a "razor life extending system" and half the shave on a razor receiving no special treatment and let's see if there is any real difference after a month.
Interesting idea. Do we have a volunteer guinea-pig :001_unsur

I don't see the point, unless it's the fun of trying to see how far you can push a blade. I get 7-8 very good shaves on a Gillette Silver Blue, which is under two cents a shave.

"Interesting idea. Do we have a volunteer guinea-pig
001_unsure.gif
"
I might if I ever feel like paying to much for an inferior shave again...:whistling::shaving:

Last edited:
I keep my blades in the razor, and just blow out the water and put away. I get 30 shaves from a blade, or more. 'nuf said.

Feathers are my standard blade, but I've been north of 30 on many blades. I'm currently at 34 on a Gillette Black. I've been over 40 on a Feather before.

Very nice, I always heard Feathers went dull fast for most, but as always YMMV. I got about 20 shaves on my first Merkur but I seem to be throwing my blades out after 3 or 4 now since I've gotten a little more picky, maybe I should start pushing them a little more and see how far I can go.

Drying blades really to keep rust from the razor itself. I have noticed some rust staining on my Weber in the channel between posts on the top cap polished version.

Even the best blades are not expensive. I use mine for four shaves then in the blade can. It seems funny for someone to spend a bunch on a razor and a brush and try to save money on one blade ;^)

Last edited:
Even the best blades are not expensive. I use mine for four shaves then in the blade can. It seems funny for someone to spend a bunch on a razor and a brush and try to save money on one blade ;^)

That's so I can tell my wife I'm actually saving money.

Top Bottom