What's new

Extendable mirrors - recommendations?

Hi
I am looking for a QUALITY extendable , magnified one side, shaving mirror for the bathroom. Not too pricey but I don't want it rusting in a couple of months. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Surely I need stainless steal but is a chrome coat a good idea or not? UK available please.
Ta

I have one like this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230227795/Product.aspx

Out of stock just now according to their website but your local store may have some or something similar.
It was a Christmas present last year so I can see my folks were generous to me that year. No problems with rusting or any other deterioration.
The 3 times magnification is about the largest practical I've found - greater and you have to stand miles back to avoid getting an inverted image.

I can't really comment on a particular manufacturer, I picked mine up from Home Depot. In installing an using the mirror I learned a couple of things I would have done differently, which I'll run through here in the hopes it might benefit you.

1) Look at the mirror on display and make sure the image in it is clear and bright, especially on the magnifying side and especially at the distance you will be shaving from. Not all mirrors are equal. I thought mine was good until I staying in a ritzy hotel and looked into their extendable mirror. the magnifying side worked perfectly at a much father distance, mine i have to get up pretty close.

2) take the actual mirror you plan to purchase out of its package and make sure it extends and retracts smoothly. I have an accordioning /scissoring arm on mine, and it's pretty tight. Even though it's securely anchored to the wall with 6 screws, i'm wondering in the back of my mind if the screws or wall will give way over time.

3) Mount the mirror a little bit lower than face height, especially if the lights in your bathroom are on the wall above your mirror, like mine. Mounting at face height puts the mirror between you and the light and makes for a dark shave. I might also recommend mounting the mirror to the wall in front of you, rather than beside you. I had to mount on the sidewall because there is a large mirror that span my entire vanity across from me.

4) If you have sub-optimal lighting conditions or have to compromise your mirror placement due to room layout, buy a mirror that is lighted around the circumference.

Good luck

Karl

I got this one about two months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G666HE/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

It works great for my bathroom. It has bushings that dampen the movement, but they also hold it nicely in place while extended. The optics seem pretty good. So far, I'm really satisfied with it. Actually, happy is the correct word.

The funny thing is, SWMBO laughed when I got it. Now, she loves it more than I do!

Sweet, this is the exact one I was looking at on the Bed Bath & Beyond site but they're sold out... I think this would make a wonderful gift for myself! :)

Was it a pain to install? I don't have to drill through my tiles or anything, do I?

I can weld a table together or build a computer for you, but basic housework... I'm clueless.

Sweet, this is the exact one I was looking at on the Bed Bath & Beyond site but they're sold out... I think this would make a wonderful gift for myself! :)

Was it a pain to install? I don't have to drill through my tiles or anything, do I?

I can weld a table together or build a computer for you, but basic housework... I'm clueless.
The Ikea mirror is the same, easy to fit and about a fifth of the price.

IMO the IKEA mirror is just a waste of money; unstable and the extendable arm gives in no way the impression of a quality item. Ok it is cheap...

Never bought it btw; just toyed with it at IKEA's but couldn't get the wallet out of my pocket for that thing.

Top Bottom