What's new

Exploring the Boxes of Shame

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
About a week ago I was sorting through one of the Box of Shame holding old holsters and came across an almost new looking Roy Original Pancake for a 1911. IIRC I bought it in the mid 80s for a Colt Series 80 that was a nightmare. When the Colt got sent to Foster Care and I hope a Forever Home the holster went into the box and has slept there quietly for almost four decades. The Roy Baker was one of the first "Concealed Carry" designed holsters.

Roy-Baker-Pancake.jpg

It had been under a bunch of old Brauer Bros and Bucheimer and Hunter holsters that were all still in pretty good shape and also deserved to go WalkAbout.

There were three other Bucheimer 1911 holsters.

3-Bucheimers.jpg

The one on the far right has two snaps set for either a Government model or Commander size. There is also a hole and ghost of yet another snap way up near the hammer that I imagine at one time held a snap positioned for a sons toy pistol.

The one in the middle is for a full size Government model and works for either Condition 1 or 3. The strap goes over the grip safety but does not depress it and the thumb safety and trigger are totally enclosed. Here it is holding my Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot so that places it around mid 1990s. The DW was also a nightmare and it too went to Foster Care and I hope a Forever Home.

Bucheimer-DW-1911-02-800.jpg

Bucheimer-DW-1911-01-800.jpg

The holster on the far left is for a Commander size and will not work with a Government full size 1911.

There were also about seven more really old holsters in that box and I'll cover them in subsequent posts.

But come on now, are there any of you who don't have at least one Box of Shame with similar really neat period holsters?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
There were also lots of holsters for revolvers. Here are a few that were for some of my my Colts.

Army-Sp-Police-***-DS.jpg

On the left is a Bucheimer for my Army Special. The Army Special (E/I size) later morphed into the Original Police and the later Python size snake gun. In the center is a Brauer Bros with my Police Positive chambered in Colt New Police (AkA 38S&W with a flat nose). The Police Positive is a "D" size like the Detective Special on the right. It's in another Bucheimer holster.

Note that one common feature is in each case the trigger is open and exposed.

There was also another Bucheimer for the Police Positive with an accompanying 12 round dump pouch. No speed loaders back then.

Bucheimer-ammo-dump800.jpg

Another holster was a basket weave from Hume for the Army Special and a Hunter that worked well with my Detective Special but also S&W "J" frames.

Hume-Army-Special-01small.jpg

Hunter-DS.jpg

And a Hunter that I used with my Colt New Service.

Hunter-New-Service800.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have holsters in the boxes for my S&W revolvers as well.

M19-Kit.jpg

The holster has my M-19 in it but originally I bought it for my Dan Wesson with it's 6" barrel. On the right is the holster for my S&W Kit gun. Both holsters are made by Bucheimer. Below you can see the one on the left with my Dan Wesson in it.

Bucheimer-DW-15-2-6-inch800.jpg

There was also a Bianchi for my Highway Patrolman.

Bianchi-M28small.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
There were also some that got lots of WalkAbout time in the past. I have a Hunter (on the left) that was designed for the Beretta "New Puma" Model 70 that I bought soon after getting married so in late 1967 or early 1968. Also a Bucheimer that was originally for one of my 1903s but was also designed for the Walther PP.

New-Puma-and-PP.jpg

One favorite that did get lots of WalkAbout time was a Lou Alessi for an earlier Detective Special but shown here with my current DS.

Alessi-DS800.jpg

And of course a few shoulder holsters, a horizontal Bianchi and a vertical Brauer Bros.

215-Undercover-01.jpg

Brauer EG-01small.jpg

This was done with the full help and supervision of Sunshine.

Sunshine.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Of course, the "what was I thinking?" holster box gets gone through when seasons change or a new gun is purchased ... was pleased to find several on hand that fit Browning Hi Power clone perfectly.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Most of my holsters in the Boxes of Shame are in there simply because at sometime in the past I switched to a newer or different style. Others, like the Roy Baker pancake were relegated to the dark because the firearm was either so bad I sold it or the firearm was so good that when I needed money I sold it.

Hopefully I will let the oldies get some WalkAbout time and report on how they succeed or fall short these days.

There is one box though that are all functional but just don't appeal to me or are uncomfortable when worn. They are all kydex.

Oh, and I found yet another Box of Shame on the top shelf of the guest/store room closet. It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas ...

Last edited:
I only own two leather Holster, both Milt Sparks.

When I was Law Dog County issued Low Bid Safety Speed junk.

Holster was Hoyt Breakfront, and Safari Land I purchased on my own.

Most of my rejects come from trying one and not liking it for some reason. Once I find the perfect combo of holster and pistol I stop looking. One day my wife will have to deal with it. Everything will probably wind up a the church rummage sale for 50 cents each. :(

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I liked the holsters from Strong and they were available even after Roy Baker Leather went away and this is the one I used with my 5906. The 5906 has gone on but I wanted to see if the 469 fits (I have an old Strong for the 469 in one of the boxes too) and it works just fine. The snaps were somewhat gunked up and the brass needed polishing but once that was done and a light neutral wax polish buff it turned back into a swan.

Strong-Wonder-9s.png

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I liked the holsters from Strong and they were available even after Roy Baker Leather went away and this is the one I used with my 5906. The 5906 has gone on but I wanted to see if the 469 fits (I have an old Strong for the 469 in one of the boxes too) and it works just fine. The snaps were somewhat gunked up and the brass needed polishing but once that was done and a light neutral wax polish buff it turned back into a swan.

View attachment 1669485

We were issued a Strong pancake at one time...heavy duty thick holsters. Had to give it back when I left.

I don't think I can post my stuff...I don't think I can find it all. Besides the box there are a couple of full rigs hanging on hooks, some in the ammo box...I think...and some "somewhere" else.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We were issued a Strong pancake at one time...heavy duty thick holsters. Had to give it back when I left.

I don't think I can post my stuff...I don't think I can find it all. Besides the box there are a couple of full rigs hanging on hooks, some in the ammo box...I think...and some "somewhere" else.
Strong is still around although I'm not sure how active they are in holsters these days. But yes, the Strong holsters were really thick leather.

This is really like Christmas and each new find is like a double present, the return of a long separated friend and the question of why I bought the damn thing in the first place.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The tooling marks are different from any I've seen. Oak leaves maybe?
Yes, quite unique. Heiser was a German immigrant who lived in New York and Wisconsin before moving west four his health so pretty much a northern climate background. The round edges to the leaves suggest some colder climate species rather than the sharp pointed or serrated edged leaves found in warmer climates. Oak would certainly be a possibility.

If you look closely though there are serrations around each of the round lobes of the leaves and even the veins. Likely a vestige of which tool he used in different stages of the carving. Using an awl and then undercutting perhaps.

I'll try to get some close up pictures without the straps later today but my best guess is that it is purely a fantasy design. Here's a close up of one section.

HH-Heiser-03.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Found the Strong designed for the S&W 469 so now the other can get back to just carrying my S&W 59.

The Strong for the 469:

Strong-469.jpg

and my old 59 in the Strong for 39/59s.

Strong-39-59.jpg

I really can't quite fathom why I stopped using the oldies since I find they are every bit as comfortable and functional as any of the newer holsters I've purchased. And I feel guilty for neglecting them. And looking at the basketweave pattern it's clear that it really was hand done rather than stamped. Each example is slightly different.

Different times.

Top Bottom