What's new

Exploring moisturisers for post-shave

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser, shave 3 of 7

I noticed something odd today. As I was applying it, it felt like my hands were absorbing it more than my face was. There's a bit less comfort on the face too. I think this is probably a good product for after a rough shave, but not necessarily for everyday use. Interestingly, I find Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm to be the same in that respect. Great for occasional use, but too heavy for frequent use on my skin. I might have one more shave with it, but doubt I'll be going a full seven shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser... aborted

I opted against using this moisturiser again today, as the mild post application greasiness could be felt before the shave, having survived not just the elapsed time, but face washing in between shaves. Instead, I used the Bluebeard's Revenge balm as a "reset" shave, which I may or may not repeat at the next shave, depending how my skin feels.

The Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser is probably a good product as a remedial step after a rough shave, but not suitable for daily use on my skin.

following on from my previous post, Justmylook are doing an offer of 30% off Cerave products as part of a Black Friday sale. Worth grabbing some of the moisturising lotion to give it a shot

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
following on from my previous post, Justmylook are doing an offer of 30% off Cerave products as part of a Black Friday sale. Worth grabbing some of the moisturising lotion to give it a shot

I'll certainly bear it in mind if none of the products here work for me, but I have too many products here already for me to keep adding more :thumbsup:

I've been searching for a good moisturizer myself. I bought about 5 or 6 different ones and VERY quickly narrowed it down to 3. I have oily skin that gets really dry in the winter, if that makes sense.

Simple - Kind to Skin - Soaks in nicely, doesn't leave much of a film.
Dove - Men+Care Ultra Hydra Cream - Soaks in nicely. Only available at Dollar Tree, as far as I know! It's very inexpensive and works great.
CeraVe - Daily Moisturizing Lotion - Not advertised as a face lotion, but it does absorb pretty quickly, and whatever is left over can easily be wiped off. I bought it because it has hyaluronic acid which is supposed to make you look 20 years younger...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Switched back to my primary razor today, and did a second "reset" shave, this time using no post shave product at all. The Wilkinson Sword blade was a little tuggy, as it's nearing the end of its life for me. It's done 18 shaves, and I usually get around 20 from them.

No post shave irritation whatsoever though, as while Palmolive can be a little drying for me, I do get good performance from it. Close finish too. I might stick with this blade a while longer, as while the PTFE coating has gone, it hasn't chipped out, and is still cutting.

If it helps, Wal*Mart carries it (twin-packs, too, for $13).
Oh yeah, you can get it on eBay too (for cheaper than that 3rd party seller, I think). You can also order them by the case from the Dollar Tree website. If you can find it in store, they're $1.

I think Walmart and eBay are just people buying cases from Dollar Tree and reselling them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No shave yesterday, and the skin has fully normalised, ready for trying the next product.

IMG_20201118_131852.jpg

The only other change, is moving back to the Kent Infinity (small) brush. That's my default razor for hard soaps, an the one I should be using for this, as the Palmolive stick. I'm currently using is grated an pressed into a dish.

Great shave. Onto the Bulldog Original. Usual 0.5ml application, or thereabouts.

More scented than the previous Nivea, but short lived enough not to clash heavily with an EdT or cologne (applied to my chest today). Absorbed easily, and less greasy feeling than the Nivea. No stickiness either. I feel quite confident on this first application, that I'll be able to use this on consecutive daily shaves without the build up I was getting from the Nivea, but how moisturising it is, and how natural my skin feels after consecutive uses, remains to be seen.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bulldog Original - shave 2 of 7

It was absorbed just as quickly as yesterday, which is a good sign. No greasiness or stickiness. I really like the fougere type scent on this one. Maybe it's the oakmoss. Present, pleasant, not too floral, and doesn't outstay its welcome.

IMG_20201119_181053.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bulldog Original - shave 3 of 7

All going well so far. I'm liking both the scent and the feel of this stuff. There was a little bit of a tingle today, kind of an aftershave tingle, although I was shaving on a fresh blade. I aborted the previous Wilkinson Sword on shave 20 yesterday, and put a fresh one in today.

Today's application did feel a little "heavier" too, so I don't know if there's some accumulation of something in the skin, or I inadvertently used a little more product today. That will become clearer as I continue using it.

Bulldog Original - shave 2 of 7

It was absorbed just as quickly as yesterday, which is a good sign. No greasiness or stickiness. I really like the fougere type scent on this one. Maybe it's the oakmoss. Present, pleasant, not too floral, and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I think it was the oak moss that caused my wife to demand its removal from the house. I thought it smelled nice. I just found it didn’t moisturize very well. I tend to dry skin in a dry climate, though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bulldog Original shave 4 of 7

Another nice shave, and the addition of the moisturiser was again welcome. This is a nice product, which I'm happy to use. It's not an excellent product, but for the price and local availability, I'm quite happy with it. I certainly prefer it to the Nivea I used first.

I think it was the oak moss that caused my wife to demand its removal from the house. I thought it smelled nice. I just found it didn’t moisturize very well. I tend to dry skin in a dry climate, though.

You may well be right on the oakmoss. I like it too, andit doesn't outstay its welcome to my nose.

As to the moisturising properties, Palmolive shave stick can be a little drying for me, which is why I chose it for this, and after four shaves, my skin feels pretty normal. Had I shaved with my St James of London Black Pepper and Lime for four consecutive days, my face would likely feel more hydrated and nourished without needing any post shave at all. So it's plenty to counteract any drying from soap, but doesn't put me "in front" so to speak.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bulldog Original shave 5 of 7

Having only done a two pass shave yesterday, I was able to shave a little earlier today. The moisturiser still absorbed easily though. Again, it just took my skin to "normal" feeling, with no sense of additional nourishment. I think I can consider this one tested, as I don't think an additional two shaves is going to tell me anything that I don't already know.

However, as my skin does just feel quite normal, I'll probably skip the "reset" shaves before moving onto whatever is next.

Summary so far:

Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser:
Occasional use only due to build up in the skin.

Bulldog Original:
OK for daily use, and is "normalising" but doesn't seem to increase moisture content beyond "Normal".

Great thread! Moisturizing is an important part of skin care. I really like Clinique's Matte moisturizer. I have oily skin and this keeps the shine down to a minimum and leaves my skin feeling great.
415UJQWUc-L._SL1000_.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
While Bulldog Original is fresh on the mind, I'll be trying this next.

IMG_20201122_171400_edit.jpg

It makes sense to try them head to head, so to speak.

As to the other suggestions that people have made, while they are welcome additions to this thread for the benefit of others, I'm unlikely to be trying them myself. I'm actively trying to reduce my dependence/participation in online ordering, and move back to buying only what's available on local shelves, as I'm sick to the back teeth of data harvesting. I will be making an exception for traditional soaps and creams, but all post shave stuff will be locally available products only.

To that end, I'm kinda hoping the two Arkos don't work out so well, as I don't know of anywhere local that sells those :001_tongu

I use the Nivea for Men Creme, not as a balm after shaving, but as a moisturiser after I’ve washed my face before bed (I wash with Dove Care+ face wash - Charcoal & Clay, nice mild scent), and I find it isn’t oily, and dries nicely. I got five 150ml tins for £19.74 on Amazon, but it’s now in Savers for £2.79 per 150ml.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use the Nivea for Men Creme, not as a balm after shaving, but as a moisturiser after I’ve washed my face before bed (I wash with Dove Care+ face wash - Charcoal & Clay, nice mild scent), and I find it isn’t oily, and dries nicely. I got five 150ml tins for £19.74 on Amazon, but it’s now in Savers for £2.79 per 150ml.

Currently £2.10 at Superdrug

Top Bottom