What's new

Exploring moisturisers for post-shave

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm being somewhat premature with this post, as I won't be starting this little side quest for a few weeks, due to finishing off another little exploration first. However, I am going to be exploring a number of different moisturisers as a post shave, instead of aftershaves lotion or balm.

The background to this is two-fold. Firstly, I've been on the lookout for an unscented, or neutrally scented, light post shave treatment to use after scented soaps, without scents clashing. Secondly, I've had issues recently with a soap which I thought was leaving my skin dry, but actually turned out to be clogging the skin. I'd applied moisturiser to cure the dryness, which ended up softening and releasing the buildup in the pores.

After a bit of online bargain hunting, these are the products I ended up buying at very reasonable, or in some cases surprisingly low, prices.

IMG_20201021_222416_edit.jpg

The Nivea items were 3 for 2 (£16.98 total), the Bulldogs were buy one, get one 1/2 price (£9.58 total), and the ARKOs were ridiculously cheap (I got them at £2.52 each for 300ml tubs).

I plan on spending some time with each one, trying to find a moisturiser, which makes my skin feel as good as the Bluebeard's Revenge Post-Shave Balm shown in the pic, which is there as a control/reference point. I chose the Bluebeards to compare them against, as it's the lightest and most easily absorbed balm I've used. It also never gets "heavy" with frequent use, like some baalms can.

The reason I don't just use that, is because it's "barbershop" scented, and I'm specifically looking for scent neutral. Yes, I know, the ARKOs are scented too, but did I mention £2.52 for 300ml?

While trying all these, I'll be using Palmolive Shave Stick, which for me can be a little drying at times. Excellent soap, but just needs a post shave follow up, and so will be ideal for this little side quest.

I plan to use them in a specific order, based on the "use by" guidance.

Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin & Stubble Lotion
Bulldog Original Moisturiser
Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Creme
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream (Yoghurt & Blackberry)
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream(Blue Fig & Grapefruit)

I'll probably use each for 7-10 days as the sole post shave treatment (unless problems arise sooner), and try to measure them against the excellent Bluebeard's Revenge balm as I do so.

As I mentioned earlier, I won't be starting this for a few weeks, as I'm finishing off some soap "samples" first. However, I wanted to throw this out there now, in case of any thoughts, questions, ideas, or any other preamble that might occur before I get stuck in :biggrin1:

Anyone used any of these before, or do anything similar?

I've used the Bulldog Original (I think). It has (to me) a fairly strong scent. My wife made me throw it out :). I'm not sure if you get these in the UK, but Sukins from Australia makes an excellent product that is lightly scented (citrusy). EO Everyone from the US makes another one that has a light bergamot/lavender scent.

I am a big fan of aftershave balms. The two I am currently using are Neutrogena Triple Protect and L'Occitaine ASB. Neither one would conflict with any scents from soaps, aftershave, or fragrances. Of the ones you have mentioned I have used the Nivea Sensitive Moisturizer and I like that one, also.

proxy.php

I have the Arko Nem fig and grapefruit, although to my nose it smells a lot like apricot. It's a superb after shave cream and cools down and soothes, should you happen to overshave an area.

It's great value too, I think I paid about £6.50 for the tub and a little goes a long way. I first saw it in use on a YouTube channel where a Turkish barber shaved himself, removing his very heavy beard with a shavette. It was a masterclass in technique but you could tell he still needed something to settle his skin after that!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've used the Bulldog Original (I think). It has (to me) a fairly strong scent. My wife made me throw it out :). I'm not sure if you get these in the UK, but Sukins from Australia makes an excellent product that is lightly scented (citrusy). EO Everyone from the US makes another one that has a light bergamot/lavender scent.

It seems we have the Sukin over here, and at reasonable prices too. I'll certainly bear that in mind, should I not find any favourites in this batch :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I am a big fan of aftershave balms. The two I am currently using are Neutrogena Triple Protect and L'Occitaine ASB. Neither one would conflict with any scents from soaps, aftershave, or fragrances. Of the ones you have mentioned I have used the Nivea Sensitive Moisturizer and I like that one, also.

Cheers Jim. I'll refer back to those, too 🍻

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
proxy.php

I have the Arko Nem fig and grapefruit, although to my nose it smells a lot like apricot. It's a superb after shave cream and cools down and soothes, should you happen to overshave an area.

It's great value too, I think I paid about £6.50 for the tub and a little goes a long way. I first saw it in use on a YouTube channel where a Turkish barber shaved himself, removing his very heavy beard with a shavette. It was a masterclass in technique but you could tell he still needed something to settle his skin after that!

Nice one! I'm particularly glad that one is well thought of, considering I have two of those huge tubs :lol:

I'm being somewhat premature with this post, as I won't be starting this little side quest for a few weeks, due to finishing off another little exploration first. However, I am going to be exploring a number of different moisturisers as a post shave, instead of aftershaves lotion or balm.

The background to this is two-fold. Firstly, I've been on the lookout for an unscented, or neutrally scented, light post shave treatment to use after scented soaps, without scents clashing. Secondly, I've had issues recently with a soap which I thought was leaving my skin dry, but actually turned out to be clogging the skin. I'd applied moisturiser to cure the dryness, which ended up softening and releasing the buildup in the pores.

After a bit of online bargain hunting, these are the products I ended up buying at very reasonable, or in some cases surprisingly low, prices.

View attachment 1171793

The Nivea items were 3 for 2 (£16.98 total), the Bulldogs were buy one, get one 1/2 price (£9.58 total), and the ARKOs were ridiculously cheap (I got them at £2.52 each for 300ml tubs).

I plan on spending some time with each one, trying to find a moisturiser, which makes my skin feel as good as the Bluebeard's Revenge Post-Shave Balm shown in the pic, which is there as a control/reference point. I chose the Bluebeards to compare them against, as it's the lightest and most easily absorbed balm I've used. It also never gets "heavy" with frequent use, like some baalms can.

The reason I don't just use that, is because it's "barbershop" scented, and I'm specifically looking for scent neutral. Yes, I know, the ARKOs are scented too, but did I mention £2.52 for 300ml?

While trying all these, I'll be using Palmolive Shave Stick, which for me can be a little drying at times. Excellent soap, but just needs a post shave follow up, and so will be ideal for this little side quest.

I plan to use them in a specific order, based on the "use by" guidance.

Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin & Stubble Lotion
Bulldog Original Moisturiser
Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
Nivea Men Creme
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream (Yoghurt & Blackberry)
ARKO Nem Revitalising Care Cream(Blue Fig & Grapefruit)

I'll probably use each for 7-10 days as the sole post shave treatment (unless problems arise sooner), and try to measure them against the excellent Bluebeard's Revenge balm as I do so.

As I mentioned earlier, I won't be starting this for a few weeks, as I'm finishing off some soap "samples" first. However, I wanted to throw this out there now, in case of any thoughts, questions, ideas, or any other preamble that might occur before I get stuck in :biggrin1:

Anyone used any of these before, or do anything similar?

Great selection!! Let us know how these perform (PLEASE)!!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Great selection!! Let us know how these perform (PLEASE)!!

Will do J. :thumbsup:

I'm just working through a few more soap samples with my co-conspirators in my shave journal, then I'll be moving onto Palmolive shave stick "full time". That's when I'll be working through these moisturisers.

I have used a few already, the Bulldogs and two of the Nivea ones, but I won't be able to give a fair review till I'm consistently using the same soap all the time.

Initial results are promising though :D

I'm a big fan of the L'oreal men expert 24hr hydrating post shave balm if you're looking for another inexpensive one to throw into the mix.
Unfortunately I have a feeling they may have discontinued it but there still seems to be quite a lot around.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm a big fan of the L'oreal men expert 24hr hydrating post shave balm if you're looking for another inexpensive one to throw into the mix.
Unfortunately I have a feeling they may have discontinued it but there still seems to be quite a lot around.

Unfortunately, they have a nasty (for me) habit of putting menthol in their products, which burns my skin. I don't know if that one follows suit

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Apologies for the extended interlude, I'm back with this project now. First shave this evening, with the kit I intend to use throughout this exploration.

Palmolive shave stick
Maggards 22mm synthetic brish
Merkur open comb head on an IKon Bulldog II handle
Wilkinson Sword blade

The first to be trialled is this product:

IMG_20201112_234438_edit.jpg

I started off with about 0.5ml. For those unfamiliar with metric, imagine a 5/16" cube. It didn't quite feel enough, so I applied the same again. That felt overkill, so I'll stick with around 0.5ml from here on. Slightly greasy after applying, but that might be from applying too much. Otherwise, the skin feels fine so far. Very lightly, and what I would consider neutrally scented. A good blank canvas for wearing an EdT with.

The real test for these products though, will be how the skin feels after 7-10 consecutive shaves. That's how long I plan to stick to each one. In between each product, I might revert back to the Bluebeard's Revenge balm to "reset" the face, before trying the next product. If the cumulative effect of any of these moisturisers starts causing issues (prickly heat, etc), I'll discontinue them earlier.

Shave 1 of 7 done. So far so good.

When I was having dry skin issues, my wife took me up to Ulta Beauty and one of their people put me on to two moisturizers that are both scent free. The CeraVe is used when I’m going to be out in the sun. It has a built in sun block. The second one, First Aid is for nighttime or if I’m going to be inside all day. It is better than the CeraVe at keeping my skin soft and hydrated, but it doesn’t have sunblock. Before I put either of these on, I wet my skin and apply hyaluronic acid. I then wait about 15 minutes to let it soak in before I put on the moisturizer.

7019B264-97FD-415B-A514-09708AF62706.jpeg
249520FC-9F19-4318-BAC1-8DAD1CDB191E.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser, shave 2 of 7

Just 0.5ml-ish today, which is the amount I'll be trying to stick with for all the products tried.

It didn't seem to absorb quite so readily today, and there was a greasier feeling immediately after application. It's possible that this may be too "heavy" a product to be use this way on a daily basis with my skin. That said, after some minutes it did absorb well enough, and leave my skin feeling comfortable, without too much greasiness and stickiness.

Two down, five to go.

I find these soaps really drying to be honest - exacerbated by winter (which might really be why I think I have a preference for creams). I've found after shave balms while smelling good seem like a far cry from a proper moisturizer / face thing.

My wife buys me this (so its always around) and whenever I remember to use it (admittedly not often) I always think "this feels better than 'forum cult products' ":

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find these soaps really drying to be honest - exacerbated by winter (which might really be why I think I have a preference for creams). I've found after shave balms while smelling good seem like a far cry from a proper moisturizer / face thing.

My wife buys me this (so its always around) and whenever I remember to use it (admittedly not often) I always think "this feels better than 'forum cult products' ":

I don't think there's anything wrong with balms, and they are a good option to have in the toolbox, in my opinion. However, different lather products, and different times of year, tend to leave me wanting different post shave options. I've found two lotions that work well for me, and two balms that work well for me. If I can find two moisturisers which work well for me out of this lot, I think I'll ten have a full array of options for however the soap/cream leaves my skin feeling.

Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom