What's new

Experimenting with Fat-Handled Tech and 1940's Super Speed

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As I was smelling the Tabac lather, it occurred to me that old lady's purse had been attributed to both Tabac and The Veg, and I realized they were meant to go together, so used The Veg again. I'm blessed to be both Chosen and to love the scent of Tabac.

Brilliant minds think alike

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: Phil is waaaaaaay ahead of me! I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I got this combo down now, Phil! lol

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nacet Shaves, #8 & 9

Yesterday, used Proraso green cream, best badger brush and Aqua Velva A/S. Today's shave is below, Nacet comments below that.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Gillette fat-handled tech
Blade: Nacet, 2nd shave
Brush: Sterling synth tuxedo
Soap: LaToja stick
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella Red

I'd rate the shave a very comfortable 9.0, again. I like the Nacets, but perhaps not as much as the GSBs. I forgot the Thayer's for the photo and I tossed the LaToja plastic case. That is my travel soap, it just gets tossed in my Dopp kit like that.

shave-LaToja.jpg

OK, I am done with the Nacet blades. Very nice shave indeed, although between the GSB and Nacets I slightly favor the GSB. But I rinse my razor head in 91% alcohol after each shave, and today I noticed the Nacet has rust splotches all over it. On second use. I have not seen that before on other blades. Decided to retire it and move on to 7 O'Clock Yellows tomorrow, planning on 3 shaves then the next update.

So far blades I love in this razor

7 O'Clock SP Blacks
Gillette Super Blues

Ones that are fine blades, I just won't come back to them again

Feather
Nacet

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Nacet Shaves, #8 & 9

Yesterday, used Proraso green cream, best badger brush and Aqua Velva A/S. Today's shave is below, Nacet comments below that.

Blade: Nacet, 2nd shave
Brush: Sterling synth tuxedo
Soap: LaToja stick
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella Red

I'd rate the shave a very comfortable 9.0, again. I like the Nacets, but perhaps not as much as the GSBs. I forgot the Thayer's for the photo and I tossed the LaToja plastic case. That is my travel soap, it just gets tossed in my Dopp kit like that.

View attachment 1313108

OK, I am done with the Nacet blades. Very nice shave indeed, although between the GSB and Nacets I slightly favor the GSB. But I rinse my razor head in 91% alcohol after each shave, and today I noticed the Nacet has rust splotches all over it. On second use. I have not seen that before on other blades. Decided to retire it and move on to 7 O'Clock Yellows tomorrow, planning on 3 shaves then the next update.

7 O'Clock SP Blacks
Gillette Super Blues

Feather
Nacet

John, that would have been one of my favourite shaves, too! Well, how couldn't it have been with the La Toja soap, a Nacet blade and a mild razor like a Tech?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shaves #10-12

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blades

Clubman Friday!

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, 3rd shave
Brush: Sterling boar
Soap: Tabac
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Pinaud Clubman

Very comfortable, DFS, with an old school razor, soap, and A/S, about 8.0 out of 10. Little stubble left on right neck today.

shave-Tabac.jpg

Blades impression

These three shaves were with the Yellows, much beloved around here, but they did not impress me. I still have hundreds of 7 O'Clock SP Blacks, that's been my daily blade for years. I think I will rotate them in for the next three shaves. So far my impressions in this Tech are:

7 O'Clock SP Blacks
Gillette Super Blues

Feather
Nacet

Blades I was simply not impressed with

7 O'Clock Yellows

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shaves 13-15

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Blacks

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SP Black, 3rd shave
Brush: Omega B&B Anniversary
Soap: B&M Reserve Lavender
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by B&M Reserve Lavender

DFS shave 9.0/10

Did three shaves on this blade, and I am delighted to see it is either the equal to or on a par with the GSB for me, because I still have about 450 of them left. I think I'll move on to the 1940's Super Speed I got for a while, then return to this to finish my blade testing. Or maybe try the Kai first, I'll decide tomorrow. I already decided I never need to try a Feather again, but I've not tried the Kai blade before.

shave-BM-Lavender.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
This is actually a shave on my new to me 1940's SS, not the Tech, but I was getting bored. The Kai has won me over as world's greatest blade--at least for me. YMMV, of course. Copied from the What did you use today thread.

Sunday's shave

Razor: Gillette 1940's Super Speed
Blade: Kai, 6th shave
Brush: Stirling synthetic tuxedo
Soap: Cella
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella A/S splash

DFS shave 9.0/10

OK, I'm convinced. Kai's are da bomb. I decided to stop with the Tech blade testing I've been doing because I was getting bored and put the Kai in the 1940's Gillette Super Speed I got--near mint condition, that one, it has not been replated, lucky find. I also wasn't trying to do the best shave I could, partly because it was Sunday and I wanted to take it easier on my face for a day, and partly because I wanted to see how shave #6 on this Kai was compared to my normal daily shave on my Gillette SP Blacks, which I use for 3-4 days, two blades per week. This shave was the equal or better than what I'm used to in my Merkur 34C with the Black on shave #4. Better or equal to shave #3, actually. If tomorrow's shave is similar, this is definitely a full-week blade for me, and they would actually be cheaper than GSB's or my Blacks at two-per-week. I love this blade. I'm more perplexed than ever now at the popularity of the Feather, since a relative minority get more than 2 shaves out of one, but hey, to each his own, right?

Another observation I made is I love this brush. When I stopped hanging around here about 5-6 years ago, synths were around, I just did not take them seriously, thinking they were a novelty, or a fad, or "cheap" in the "not good" meaning. Boy was I wrong! This is a terrific brush! I still prefer a slightly scritchy Best Badger or my B&B Anniversay boar (my #1 favorite brush), but between my silvertip badger and this, I keep reaching for this.

Another thread asked if synths were animal bristle killers, and I doubt it. However, it may be a silvertip badger killer. Why would you spend the money on a silvertip if you get a comparable shave out of a good synth? Like I said, I still like my lesser badgers and that boar, but I doubt I'll ever pay for another silvertip brush or knot again. Ever.

shave-Cella-Kai.jpg

OK, I am done with the Nacet blades. Very nice shave indeed, although between the GSB and Nacets I slightly favor the GSB. But I rinse my razor head in 91% alcohol after each shave, and today I noticed the Nacet has rust splotches all over it. On second use. I have not seen that before on other blades. Decided to retire it and move on to 7 O'Clock Yellows tomorrow, planning on 3 shaves then the next updat
I noticed this also with the first two Nacet blades that I have used - rust formation after only one shave! I at least get 4 shaves from Treet Durasharp carbon steel blades before rust becomes meaningful. What is going on here? I don't have rust problems with other Russian P&G stainless blades.

I noticed this also with the first two Nacet blades that I have used - rust formation after only one shave! I at least get 4 shaves from Treet Durasharp carbon steel blades before rust becomes meaningful. What is going on here? I don't have rust problems with other Russian P&G stainless blades.
Hmm, my Nacets haven't done that, best I can recall. Maybe it's a batch issue. They're one of my favourite blades.

Edit: The alcohol soak isn't something I do with my blades. Can't help but wonder if that's contributing.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have no idea, no other stainless blade has done this. I will try them again, to see if the second blade does that.

Top Bottom