What's new

Experiment.

I need to get some really good soap...so far I'm just using the shaving cream from my local supermarket...Jack The Barber brand.
Thinking I might order in some MWF...
A good shaving soap makes a big difference. Straight razor shaving is particularly demanding and requires an extremely slick soap. If you’re not using a top tier soap, your not getting the full experience.

Unfortunately, most of the supermarket options are designed to sell carts. They only work in conjunction with a slime strip. The razor starts to tug as soon as the slime strip wears out and the user is convinced to replace the cart. DE blades use various coatings to reduce friction. Straight razors don’t have any of these tricks.

The only supermarket soap [cream] I’ve found to be acceptable in Aus is Palmolive Lather Shave available from IGA. It’s cheap and surprisingly good. If you spend a bit more and shop online there are many other options. MWF is one of my favorites. I’ve almost finished my second puck and have a third on the way. It’s extremely slick with good post shave and a mild soapy scent. Melbourne has a few bricks and mortar stores with a nice selection where you can sniff before you buy.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I need to get some really good soap...so far I'm just using the shaving cream from my local supermarket...Jack The Barber brand.
Try IGA. They normally stock Palmolive Regular cream. 65g for under AU$3. Works very well with SR shaving.

Last edited:

There are tons of good moderately priced soaps and creams.

Great vegan soaps like MdC tend to be expensive (but are worth it). Tallow-based soaps like Stirling are a great place to start. And some of the mass-produced vegan creams get a lot of love like La Toja, Palmolive (already mentioned) and Speick.

If you can source it, Martin de Candre is probably one of the top soaps for straight razor shaving in my opinion. I'll never be without it.

Stirling has some good offerings too.
MDC is probably not my best soap in terms of performance, but it is by far one of the easiest soaps to use, the scent profiles are grate, the post shave is grate. I would also say it is good value. They just seem to last a long time.
If I only had a few MDC and SV soaps I would not be missing anything.
Ease of use is one of my top priorities. I stopped using some artisan soaps because I just did not want to lather all day, and most of them were just a little to oily.

Top Bottom