What's new

[EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap

I'm not CONUS, but will be interested in seeing your results.

I like MWF tallow, it gives me similar results to SV and cost a lot less, so it was my "workhorse" soap. I've got one puck in play, and four spares.

Once again, "Backup Disorder" turns out to be good forward planning! :thumbup:

I got my sample today, much thanks to @AJMiami.

First impression is that the scent is weaker than tallow MWF, but that I can chalk up to the sample being grated. The scent seemed to be very similar to the old formula, but it seems there is an earthy type of undertone.

I mashed the sample into a plastic salsa bowl and did a test lather. Made some slick lather, adding a bit of water until I was satisfied with it. I already shaved today so I'll have to wait till morning to shave with it.

Nice amount of soap here to sample! Thanks for sending it. The scent is definitely different. Smells heavier to me than the last puck I used. I remember it smelling more powdery than this. Looking forward to the lather!
IMG_4538.jpeg

First shave with non tallow MWF:

Royal Crown razor, Personna Blue 2nd shave, Yaqi Moka synthetic brush.

As my usual routine, I dipped the tips of the brush amd started to build proto lather. I dipped a few times, because as I build the paste, I brush it on different areas of my face. When my face was fully covered, I started to add water to the paste. Soon it was to my liking. Slickness was great, but I noticed that the scent was still much weaker than what I remember from the tallow formula. The lather did not disappear at all, but I didn't leave it on my face for 15 minutes either. The residual lather washed away easily.

First impression, I like it. I am going to burn through the sample 3017 style and will report back with each shave.

MWF sample
34C/Astra SP
G5 scuttle
Star reknot with TGN Finest

I did my usual MWF thing. I wet the top of the sample and floated the ramekin in the sink of hot water. Wet the brush. Showered. Shook all of the water out of the brush. Loaded for 20 seconds, which looked a little bit weak. Began face lathering. Introduced a little water, via the scuttle. Went back to face lathering. I ended up building a lather that pretty much reminded me of tallow MWF. Dense. Similar scent. Protective. Slick. Plenty of leather for the second pass and touchups. I could live with this formulation! Thanks for letting me try it!

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpeg
    IMG_4553.jpeg
    912.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4554.jpeg
    IMG_4554.jpeg
    913.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 28
First Impression

My reformulated MWF sample arrived in today's mail. I could tell when I opened the mailbox and the familiar scent wafted out. That was encouraging. The scent is indeed very similar to the original. It is very close, nearly identical. The original scent has a hint of extra je ne sais quoi that is missing from the new formulation. It is subtle, but I miss it (like the subtle difference between modern Aqua Velva and the juice my dad had on his dresser in the 1970s, but not as pronounced as the difference between say Dr. Pepper and store brand).

Attempting to replicate my usual process of face lathering off the ceramic pot, I dampened and packed the sample in the bottom of my Captain's Choice bowl. I swirled a Simpson's Berkeley best badger and face lathered. The new formulation took more water than the original, and developed a much thicker, dense feeling lather; kind of like the difference between the dense B&M omnibus compared to earlier B&M bases).

First Impression

My reformulated MWF sample arrived in today's mail. I could tell when I opened the mailbox and the familiar scent wafted out. That was encouraging. The scent is indeed very similar to the original. It is very close, nearly identical. The original scent has a hint of extra je ne sais quoi that is missing from the new formulation. It is subtle, but I miss it (like the subtle difference between modern Aqua Velva and the juice my dad had on his dresser in the 1970s, but not as pronounced as the difference between say Dr. Pepper and store brand).

Attempting to replicate my usual process of face lathering off the ceramic pot, I dampened and packed the sample in the bottom of my Captain's Choice bowl. I swirled a Simpson's Berkeley best badger and face lathered. The new formulation took more water than the original, and developed a much thicker, dense feeling lather; kind of like the difference between the dense B&M omnibus compared to earlier B&M bases).
I was going to ask how the slickness was, but I guess you won't know until a razor is involved.

Second shave with MWF veggie sample:

Lupo 58
Personna Blue first shave
Yaqi Cola

It seems to me that the veggie loads proto lather easier and quicker than the tallow formula, but that can also be explained by the sample being shredded. Now that my shave is done, I can say I don't remember smelling the scent this morning.
The shave itself was ordinary, meaning it went very well. Good slickness, nice close shave, no weepers, nicks or cuts. DFS+. I never get BBS on my neck, I stopped chasing that years ago.
Again, I find this reformulation perfectly acceptable.

What a difference a day makes. I went with a bigger TGN Finest knot, expecting loads of heavy dense MWF, but I got light and airy disappearing foam. Less slick. Less protective. Seemed like a different soap today. Couple shaves left to try…

Attachments

• IMG_4573.jpeg
    IMG_4573.jpeg
    885.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    889.6 KB · Views: 12
I had something similar happen to me once, when I first tried using Trumper's vegan formula soap. Excellent first lather and shave. Second time and time after that, terrible.

It was, as best I can tell, the result of having residual soap scum from MWF in the first brush (boar) that produced the good lather. I don't know if that's the case for this particular situation, but I've cleaned a brush in anticipation of getting the new formula sample in today or tomorrow to rule out that possibility.

Second Impressions

This morning I used the mixed hair Semogue brush. In short, scent and performance between the two MWF formulations are indistinguishable to me.

Pictured you can see the new sample packed in the bottom of the bowl. My old formulation puck is also grated and packed. Now that the sample is hydrated, the scent is indistinguishable from the original in the crock pot.

About 10 seconds of loading produced a copious amount of protolather. I was surprised today that the lather did not become as thick/dense as my last shave. In other words, the lather was the same as I generally experience with the original. One ten-second load produced enough lather to do a full shave of both face and dome.

I am not a great judge of slickness and glide. The shave was comfortable, lather felt slick and protective enough. Shortly after the blade removes the lather, my skin has a rubbery feel, and if a razor were dragged over the skin it would skip and shudder as if it were going over a smooth rubber mat. Perhaps that is the lanolin.

I am curious to see what tomorrow's lather brings.

IMG_20230610_102924709.jpg

Top Bottom