What's new

'Experienced' User getting raw Shaves :(

Hi guys,

I've been DE shaving for almost a year now. Went from a nice Merkur 34c, to a very nice Merkur 38c. A few months ago I settled on a lovely Merkur 39c Slant (the 'Sledgehammer') after trying the 37c Slant.

In my first month of owning the 39c, I was getting fantastic, effortless shaves. I used the razor with soaps that I have been getting good results from since I started De shaving. These include, MWF, Tabac, Cella and Mama Bears. I shaved almost everyday with no problems.

I ALWAYS shave after a warm/hot shower and I face lather. I nearly always manage to make a good cushioning lather.

However, the past few weeks my skin feels very raw after shaving.

I am also finding my hairs harder and harder to cut with my beloved feathers (tried 2 blades from different packs). It's as if my beard has gotten accustomed to the slant and now growing back tougher. I know this is not the case but it feels like it.

My technique can't go bad overnight and I have been concetrating real hard but the shaves are producing irritation and the closeness is not there. The slant has never been dropped and looks like new. The blade alignement is also fine.

I have been quite stressed recently - could that have anything to do with the skin?

Your help very much appreciated.

Thanks,

SJ

Hi guys,

I've been DE shaving for almost a year now. Went from a nice Merkur 34c, to a very nice Merkur 38c. A few months ago I settled on a lovely Merkur 39c Slant (the 'Sledgehammer') after trying the 37c Slant.

In my first month of owning the 39c, I was getting fantastic, effortless shaves. I used the razor with soaps that I have been getting good results from since I started De shaving. These include, MWF, Tabac, Cella and Mama Bears. I shaved almost everyday with no problems.

I ALWAYS shave after a warm/hot shower and I face lather. I nearly always manage to make a good cushioning lather.

However, the past few weeks my skin feels very raw after shaving.

I am also finding my hairs harder and harder to cut with my beloved feathers (tried 2 blades from different packs). It's as if my beard has gotten accustomed to the slant and now growing back tougher. I know this is not the case but it feels like it.

My technique can't go bad overnight and I have been concetrating real hard but the shaves are producing irritation and the closeness is not there. The slant has never been dropped and looks like new. The blade alignement is also fine.

I have been quite stressed recently - could that have anything to do with the skin?

Your help very much appreciated.

Thanks,

SJ

Yes. Stress is physically bad for everything, including skin. Stress can also wreak havoc with your diet and sleep which will also affect your skin. That being said, it shouldn't affect your beard hair much so that part has me puzzled.
I don't know what to suggest except to try using only one soap, maybe MWF. Maybe try a different blade like an Iridium.
Even more important, find a way to relieve your stress (I know, easier said than done). Stress will do a lot worse to you than irritated skin.
I hope things work out.

Stress can cause increased skin sensitivity and irritation. Since you are now sensitized, your perception of sensations are magnified. Ever have a headache and have sometime talk to you in a normal voice? Similarly, you have just become more aware of blade pulling and "rawness" of the shave. You're going to have to manage your stress if you want your shaves to return to normal.

Last edited:
When I am stressed out, I rush through the shave, apply too much pressure, lose track of which pass I am on and where I have shaved. I find that I am gripping the razor too hard, and that messes up my angle of attack. Half the point of DE shaving for me is to take some time out and enjoy myself. I have to put my stress away in order to do that.

Slow down bro. Spend some time with your face in the water. Let the lather sit. Slow down your passes. Easy does it.

Whatever it is will be there when you get back. :001_cool:

This morning, i switched to a tech - one of the least agressive razors and I still didn't get a good shave.

Cheers for the tips guys. Even though I shave after a warm/hot shower, I reckon I will go with kyles prep (hot cloth) and I'll also switch to a smoother iridium blade and see how that goes tomorrow morning.

Try a Krona Razor and some CO Bigelow cream it is slicker than snot. Also had a Hot shower before you shave. The extra time in the shower will soften the beard even more.

This morning, i switched to a tech - one of the least agressive razors and I still didn't get a good shave.

Cheers for the tips guys. Even though I shave after a warm/hot shower, I reckon I will go with kyles prep (hot cloth) and I'll also switch to a smoother iridium blade and see how that goes tomorrow morning.

Maybe try going back to square one, give yourself 2 WTG passes and call it day, keep doing that until the irritation heals and you can slowly start bringing WTGs back into the equation?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on taking it 1 square backward.

Stress can be a factor but the Slant might also be too aggressive for your skin.

I would say, keep the slant for let say a week, stick to the same combo of blades/soap. If it doesn't get better, go back to your previous razor for a week and see what happens.

Hey guys.

I find the slant quite mild to be honest. Obviously, treat it with respect, but it isn't all that bad.

Anyway, changed to a iridium blade today and less irritation. Will stick with the smoother blade for a week.

I just remebered what I have changed the last few weeks!!

I have been using an AS splash, Aqua Velva etc. Before that I used moisturisers and balms etc.

I don't get dry patches with the splashes and they feel great, but i guess my skin may need time to get use to them. Put it this way, they don't soften the skin like a balm or moisturiser.

I sometimes start to get a poor shave if I stick to the same combination for a while. My first thought was to change razor, which you did and didn't work. I see you have now changed blade which has now worked.

Even though your shaves have felt raw, how would you describe them? DFS CCS BBS? I wondered if perhaps you were trying to get better than you actually could. That is your were already DFS/BBS but got accustomed to that, only to try to get better. Especially if you have a dark beard that seems to show through even when BBS.

Re Stress, there are many ways to relieve stress. Exercise can be good, even cleaning the car with a bit of vigor and purpose. Prolonged stress isn't good. You may want to look into various ways of either reducing your stress or managing the effects of it (eg. excercise, sex etc).

Getting much better now as I've introduced a couple of drops of pre shave oil to my face before lathering up. Back to Feather blades and the shaves are ok.

Thanks guys

There's nothing like the embarrasment of leaving a response only to realize the OP's problem has already been resolved:blushing:

Glad it worked out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom