What's new

Experienced recommendations

Hello all,
I have been shaving with a double edge safety razor for a little over a year now. I am finally running out of my two initial soaps, Taylor of Old Bond Street (the sandalwood cream type, not a puck but it cam in a little tub) and Proraso red tub. I liked both for different reasons. The Taylor of Old Bond Street felt and smelled great. The Proraso lasted a long time with decent results ( I believe my hard water made things a little difficult). My question for the collective is based on this what would be a good soap to expand my horizons a little. Thank you for reading this somewhat wordy post. I look forward to hearing from everybody. Thank you.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the only real issue I had with the Taylor of Old Bond street was how quickly I went through it. Especially compared to the Proraso. Thanks again.

So many options out there.

Tabac, Haslinger, and MWF are good choices. But also could try an artisan soap. I usually recommend Stirling because it is easy to lather and there are a lot of scents to pick from.

Three of my favorite easy lathering (even in hard water) soaps include Tabac, Haslinger's, and Barrister and Mann's Latha line...

every wet shaver needs to try the classics:

Tabac
Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)
Cella

after you have sampled them, then give the artisans a try. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with anything from Cold River Soap Works, Mike's Natural, or Stirling. There are many others but these 3 seem to get the most universal praise.

I have found the following to be good easy to lather soaps that are readily available online.

Haslinger, tabac (scent is polarizing), Valobra, Palmolive and Wilkonson sword sticks.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If you really want to branch out I'd recommend researching these and picking whichever floats your boat...

-La Savonniere du Moulin
-Martin De Candre
-Any triple milled hard soap by Valobra (Valobra, NOS Art of Shaving, Czech & Speake)
-The classic Italian almond oil croaps (Cella, Vitos, Boellis, Antica Barbieria Colla)
-PannaCrema (classic soaps or the newer Nuavia)
-Saponificio Varesino
-Haslinger

There are so many outstanding choices today, the choice is not always easy. GL!

If you really want to branch out I'd recommend researching these and picking whichever floats your boat...

-La Savonniere du Moulin
-Martin De Candre
-Any triple milled hard soap by Valobra (Valobra, NOS Art of Shaving, Czech & Speake)
-The classic Italian almond oil croaps (Cella, Vitos, Boellis, Antica Barbieria Colla)
-Saponificio Varesino
-Haslinger

Buy all of them ;)

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello and welcome, Richard. Great to have you here on B&b. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Plenty of very good soap and cream suggestions above. The possibilities are endless.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

-La Savonniere du Moulin
-Martin De Candre
-Saponificio Varesino
-Haslinger

And then there's all the U.S. "artisan" soaps; T&S, L&L, B&M, Mikes, Stone Cottage, Sudsy Soapery, etc... IMO, Mikes got it right years ago and still holds up today.

Yeah unfortunately, you're going to get recommendations for just about everything out there.

If you're looking for the really outstanding soaps then know that I've tried about six hundred soaps and I'm constantly looking for the very best soaps available. My recommendations would be:

Tallow & Steel's new formula - (due out in a couple weeks) I got to test the new formula during the creation process and it's amazing. Likely the very best slickness and post shave I've ever encountered in any soap. I see this one becoming very popular and getting a ton of really great reviews. There were a couple tweaks done to improve it even more after the last version that I got to try. It might even end up taking my "the best soap ever made" spot.

Sudsy Soapery - This stuff is outstanding, awesome skin care qualities. Very reasonable prices and one that everyone seems to give a ton of praise to.

PannaCrema Nuavia - An absolutely outstanding soap with some truly amazing really high end scents.

L&L Grooming - A really slick soap with some very good post shave attributes.

PannaCrema Pure2O - almost like PannaCrema Nuavia but a little harder to lather and the scents while amazing aren't quite as good. Nothing is as good as the Nuavia scents. You also won't get the really nice ceramic crocks but then again this one is like $15 instead of the $65 Nuavia price tag. Nuavia is better but this is an outstanding soap as well.

You've tried Proraso red. I like Proraso in the green tube. You seem to like sandalwood. Right now I am high on Wet Shaving Products Rustic Sandalwood. I hear that their Formula T is very good, too. I really love their sandalwood aftershave. Stirling is also really good. I've never used Soap Commander, but a lot of guys like it.

If small batch is your direction, the WSP formula T(Bullgoose has some of these in proprietary scents and they are really good) and Wholly Kaw tallow are really good as well.

You seemed to have like the Poraso...the GREEN Poraso is even more awesome than the Sandalwood/Red Poraso. IMHO. You'll be glad you bought it.

La Toja, Tabac, Cella are all good. MWF is a favourite of mine, but has a learning curve to get it up to speed. Arko soap is fabulous too, though the scent is not for everyone. Speick is worth a look also.

Top Bottom