What's new

Experienced a straight razor at barber shop

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I can’t imagine that anyone else would be able to shave my face better than me. I’ve spent nearly a thousand SR shaves getting to know every twist and turn of my beard map. With repeated trial and error I’ve learned how to deal with every trouble spot. Nobody knows my face as well as I do.
Same. Had plenty of straight razor shaves…all by me. Couldn’t think of someone else shaving my face, don’t feel that would be relaxing for me, rather the opposite I suppose.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Same. Had plenty of straight razor shaves…all by me. Couldn’t think of someone else shaving my face, don’t feel that would be relaxing for me, rather the opposite I suppose.
I had a straight razor (shavette) shave by a barber a few years ago and I’ll never do that again. I looked like I had lost a cat fight. I’ve shaved with straight razors for years and yet to cut myself. I’m sticking to DIY.

In fairness, it would be quite challenging shaving someone else who is just lying there limply. It’s extremely helpful if the face plays its part in the shaving process.

I always get a shave with my haircut in Japan. I sought out a barber who was skilled with cutting facial hair as
I used to have a moustache. Japanese barbers use Feather shavettes these days but they are really skilled.
Instead of three passes, they usually do one pass but shave the face in sections doing *** and ATG in the same
pass. Their pre-shave and post shave care is ridiculously good and they give amazing post-shave massages as well.

This old-school Kirin commercial gives you the feeling of a Japanese shave & a haircut.
You can also catch a glimpse of a Kirin beer vending machines at the end...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A barber I used to go to (who had since passed away) always did my outline around my neck, ears, and burns with a straight razor (not a shavette). He also used a hot lather dispenser. I loved it, and I miss it. Not only was it that little bit more grooming, but it really made a difference!

I had a straight razor (shavette) shave by a barber a few years ago and I’ll never do that again. I looked like I had lost a cat fight. I’ve shaved with straight razors for years and yet to cut myself. I’m sticking to DIY.

I had a similar experience. It was all I could do not to ask that person if they'd gone to the Sweeney Todd School of Barbering. I thoroughly enjoyed all the prep, though.

The only other straight razor I've had on my face was a very different and much better experience. The prep was a bit less, but the shave was excellent and comfortable. I would've happily gone back to him, but the car traffic around his shop was ridiculous.

There's a new, actual barber at the place a go now (the rest are stylists). He does straight razor shaves (perhaps shavette). It's been a while since that good shave, so I thought I'd ask how much he charged. Fifty bucks.

Thank you, no. I didn't ask if he used a shavette.

Oddly enough, the very best shave I've ever received was done with a five-bladed cartridge razor, a Gillette Fusion of some manner. When I say "best shave," I mean it was better than any I've given myself. It was five years ago, and I even remember the guy's name: Valentino. He used a shave oil and a ton of care. Not a trace of irritation. When he was done, I think my tongue had more hair on it than my face and neck. It was so close that I still didn't need to shave some thirty hours later. Remarkable.

Do straight razor shaves usually have a bit of blade feel?
If you do it right, not much. I think for guys who shave themselves with a straight, a common mistake for beginners is to use too much pressure. Which is why we say just use enough pressure to wipe the lather away. I'm guilty of it too.

I did trim up Mrs. Scandalous's hair the other day and I used a straight to clean up the nape of her neck and the "sideburns." She commented "I can hear it cutting but I can't feel the blade at all."

There is a resurgence shops that shave here in St. Petersburg, FL. The past 6 months I've been auditioning 2X barbers a week for shaves. I'm retired now and have plenty of time on my hands. I do LOVE barber shop shaves when they are done right. I've found 2-3 shops I think are ok.

Top Bottom