What's new

Experience with Global Shave Club

Recently, there was a post in the SE section about a new cheap plastic razor using a half DE blade. This was the V-ishw from India and was rebranded as the Challenger in Canada. I watched the youtube reviews with interest, and became very interested in ordering one as I have always been one to see how cheap a razor can get and still have a great shave. There was a link to Global Shave Club in Canada and so I immediately went there and found that the regular version was $2 with a flat rate shipping of $5. Not a real problem as the total cost would be about the same as my Gillette Guard. There were also options to get a mild head or an aggressive head for $2 more each, and a chrome plated brass handle for $12 more. I ordered a mild and aggressive razor for a total of $8 and the brass handle one for $14. The flat rate shipping of $5 should have taken me to $27, however when I got ready to check out, I was surprised that the flat rate shipping applied to each item and so the total was $37. So far, this was not a problem and I was aware of the cost and put my order in anyway.

I later had second thought and contacted Global Shave Club asking to cancel my order and I would reorder only one razor. I was told that the order already was processed and that I was going to receive a refund for the heads and handle and that a Gillette Tech and an extra Challenger was going to be included. I was not sure exactly what that meant, but I was refunded $12 the next day.

My order arrived a week later and what I found was that I received three plastic Challengers with no explanation telling me which was the mild, medium, or aggressive ones. There was NO chrome plated brass handle razor, which kind of makes sense as to why the refund was $12.

I immediately sent an email asking if there was a mistake and if they intend to send me my brass handle razor. This was last Friday and as of today, I still have not received a response.
Since that time, I went to the web site and found a mention that the Mild Head was listed as "coming soon". I am not sure if that meant that they were out of stock and a new batch was coming in, or if they never had it because it wasn't released yet. If it wasn't released yet, then I paid double for a mild version and was sent a regular version.

To be totally fair to the seller, I was aware that the shipping cost was per item and did not have a combined shipping discount. Also, he shipped immediately and I did receive the order within a week, which is very good considering it came from Canada. The razors themselves were good shaving razors which I posted a review on the SE section.

My major complaint is that if the most expensive item I ordered was not in stock, I was never contacted to see what I wanted to do. It also appeared now that possibly I was sent a lower cost razor without being told that the razor I ordered was not released yet. Most other vendors I deal with would either let me know the item is not in stock and ask what I wanted to do, or would cancel that portion of the order and send me what they had. The seller made the decision to replace the item with something else and refund me only the additional cost of one of the items and not the shipping associated with it.

I just wanted folks to be aware that this might happen to you also. My advice is that if you are interested in this razor, order only one at a time as the shipping will be the same PER RAZOR no matter how much you order.

I ordered two Yaqi brushes from a seller in England. Same thing: twice the shipping cost. I told him that, as it doesn’t make sense to me, he said, „well, right, but shipping will be a little more expensive due to overweight package“, which makes sense. So I paid my double shipping but received nearly half of the shipping cost back. Communication before buying is always better then being upset later! [emoji12]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Not a problem with the shipping cost, as I saw that up front when checking out. My concern was that the vendor decided to arbitrarily replace items in my order without telling me that what I ordered was not in stock and what should be done. It would be like you receiving a brush that you didn't order to replace one that you did because it wasn't in stock.

I placed an order on 1/24/19 and I’m still waiting for confirmation when my order will ship out .
I ordered just one of the regular head which came out to $7.00 for total with the $5 shipping and $2 for the razor.
I wanted to get the brass handle and figured I’ll start with a small order first.

I checked the site recently and saw the price had increased for the regular razor and some of the other ones was not available yet?
I was just wondering if anyone else had received their order without getting an email confirmation that their order had shipped out.

I placed an order on 1/24/19 and I’m still waiting for confirmation when my order will ship out .
I ordered just one of the regular head which came out to $7.00 for total with the $5 shipping and $2 for the razor.
I wanted to get the brass handle and figured I’ll start with a small order first.

I checked the site recently and saw the price had increased for the regular razor and some of the other ones was not available yet?
I was just wondering if anyone else had received their order without getting an email confirmation that their order had shipped out.
@uptown was mentioning a few weeks ago that he also put in an order (maybe around the same time as you), and he never received an email saying it shipped. I'm not sure if he eventually received his shipment yet. As for me, I never received notice either, but found out it shipped when I requested cancellation of my order.

@uptown was mentioning a few weeks ago that he also put in an order (maybe around the same time as you), and he never received an email saying it shipped. I'm not sure if he eventually received his shipment yet. As for me, I never received notice either, but found out it shipped when I requested cancellation of my order.
Thank you, I will update when I receive my order...hopefully soon I’m curious about this razor.

Yes i have had a bit of confusion also. I placed my order but i had not heard anything so i chased things up and was told that i needed to pay another $5 for shipping.... despite me already paying. In fairness i think the problem is with the website not generating shipping costs at checkout, but even so, some information on shipping fees should be made clear prior to order and checkout. It still took over 2 weeks to dispatch and i had to chase the shipping order code to track progress. Bigger companies tend to have this automated, maybe its something GSC need to look at.

I opted to place an order for a razor. I placed order on Monday night and expected a few days to ship out . It’s Thursday so I asked when it would ship out and I got a reply from Sheldon stating that it would ship out Monday. This seems really excessive to me.

I bought a Sumatra and Gillette 7 O Clock Sterling style razor earlier this year and while the Sumatra was fine, the Gillette was bent beyond repair in shipping.

I contacted the owner, Sheldon, and he maintained he'd find me a new head after e-mailing pictures back and forth. It's been since March, and he's since taken down that Gillette razor from his store.

For what it's worth I skipped Global Shave Club and bought the updated Baili Tech clone from AliExpress and it even came with a case...

Top Bottom