What's new

Experience with AC Pro Super blades - more comfortable?!

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my recent experience using Feather AC Pro Super blades in my Artist Club SS. Against my expectations, and despite some initial weepers, they immediately provided a more comfortable shave overall than anything I've used before. This was a really nice surprise.

I'd bought a pack of 20 just to see what they were like. The blades I've used up to now were all of standard or mild protrusion, so I was a little daunted by the extra blade exposure on the Pro Super: these protrude quite a bit more and are known for giving an aggressive shave. I'm going to credit this forum and specifically a user named @Twelvefret who some time ago encouraged me to try moving from the ProGuard blades to the standard Pros. Trying Pro Supers seemed a logical and fun next step forward!

I'm four shaves in now and I believe I'm converted for life. Yes, they can cut: they will mow through bumps on the skin more easily than standard blades. Over these four shaves, the blood loss has reduced each time - primarily due to giving adequate time between shaves for the previous cuts to heal up a bit! This last shave was blood-free and really, really comfortable. My educated guess is that it's due to fewer passes being required for the same result, with much less tidying up.

They're perhaps not the ideal blade for people just starting out, but I'd guess that once someone is getting reasonably comfortable shaves on a regular basis, it could be a good move.

Luke

The exposure difference is not huge but does seem to change how the shave feels. My theory is that the Super Pro blades allow the Artist Club razor to be held at a shallower angle, leading to less irritation. And leads to less user error as the AC blade holder can be held practically flat in sensitive areas like the neck and still get good (close enough) shaves.

I rotate between too many shavette styles and blades to even trust my own judgement of whether I prefer the regular Pro blades or the Super Pros. I mostly use the regular exposure since there are similar blades made by others that I may also want to use.

I am not sure what application or razor the Lite blades work well in (ones in green package). I never got a decent nick free shave with one in my Feather DX.

The exposure difference is not huge but does seem to change how the shave feels. My theory is that the Super Pro blades allow the Artist Club razor to be held at a shallower angle, leading to less irritation. And leads to less user error as the AC blade holder can be held practically flat in sensitive areas like the neck and still get good (close enough) shaves.

I rotate between too many shavette styles and blades to even trust my own judgement of whether I prefer the regular Pro blades or the Super Pros. I mostly use the regular exposure since there are similar blades made by others that I may also want to use.

I am not sure what application or razor the Lite blades work well in (ones in green package). I never got a decent nick free shave with one in my Feather DX.

Thanks to my recent acquisitions over on my other thread I won't be doing it anytime soon, but I'm thinking about buying a DX. Possibly a kamisori. Not sure! I've never used the Lite blades but think they have a similar exposure to the ProGuard? Those were a good starter blade but required a lot of touching up. The design is good and I think it limits cuts to a degree, but I was still nicked regularly. For me it's very hard to give a fair comparison, as I was really unskilled with SR shaving at the time I was using them regularly.

I think you make a good point on the shallower angle when using the Pro Super blades. Since learning to hold the razor at a flatter angle my shaves have improved immensely, albeit that's probably not the only factor. I also roll the razor to flat on many strokes, which makes shaving concave areas such as the back of the head much easier. Interestingly, had another really comfortable shave with the AC SS + Pro Super blades last night; no cuts but one small irritated spot at the occiput where I forgot to do this. Otherwise a great shave.

I'm with you on the preference for the Pro Supers. The Pros don't give me enough exposure to get the shallow angle I prefer with the Feather SS, but the extra exposure of the Pro Supers does.

The ProGuards just don't work for me. My technique tends to have a slicing motion, and the little wire guards drag because of the sideways slide.

The ProGuards just don't work for me. My technique tends to have a slicing motion, and the little wire guards drag because of the sideways slide.

I don't use mine now. They've gone to my son and step-son who use them in their RR Hawk V2s; I think the ProGuards have added a little reassurance for them in their first steps in traditional wet shaving, and they say they're very happy with their shaves. IMO a good beginner blade, and probably a bit better for SE rather than shavette!

I'm with you on the preference for the Pro Supers. The Pros don't give me enough exposure to get the shallow angle I prefer with the Feather SS, but the extra exposure of the Pro Supers does.

I guess this must be it. Shallow angle and a sufficiently 'aggressive' shave to not need much in terms of touching up strokes. Are there any other AC blades that give more exposure than the Pro Supers?

Shallow angle and a sufficiently 'aggressive' shave to not need much in terms of touching up strokes. Are there any other AC blades that give more exposure than the Pro Supers?
The reason for using wider blades on the SS only is that lip on the edge of the razor. With narrow blades, they don't stick out far enough when shadow, and force me to use a steeper angle that I like. The razor still works well at the steeper angle because the lip stretches the skin and makes it tighter, but I still prefer the shallow angle.

The Pro Supers are the widest of the Feather brand Artist Club blades. I don't know how Kai's or any other brands compare.

The reason for using wider blades on the SS only is that lip on the edge of the razor. With narrow blades, they don't stick out far enough when shadow, and force me to use a steeper angle that I like. The razor still works well at the steeper angle because the lip stretches the skin and makes it tighter, but I still prefer the shallow angle.

The Pro Supers are the widest of the Feather brand Artist Club blades. I don't know how Kai's or any other brands compare.

Thanks - that makes sense with regard to the lip on the AC SS.

I had a brief look earlier at the Kai range but the net speed was very slow where I am and I couldn't easily see blade width info. Will try again, as this experience has piqued my interest for wide(r) blades. I won't complain if Pro Supers are the widest blades available full stop - the shaves are good - I'm just curious as to what's out there for these fantastic razors.

AFAIK the AC Super Pro is the widest blade made. The Pro is 8mm, the Super Pro is 8.2mm, while the Light is only 7.4mm. That all the non-Feather AC blade manufacturers have only made the standard 8mm size.

I think the market is too small for blade manufacturers to bother experimenting with, but I have wondered what it would be like to shave with a larger variety of blade widths. Or conversely if someone will ever go to the trouble of making an adjustable AC blade holder. Even if it were only adjustable by switching out some baseplate/shim to cause a change in exposure. Though I think the concept only goes so far in that once there is a lot of blade exposure getting even more does not change the shave much, as it starts looking like the trick of sandwiching a blade between two popsicle sticks.

AFAIK the AC Super Pro is the widest blade made. The Pro is 8mm, the Super Pro is 8.2mm, while the Light is only 7.4mm. That all the non-Feather AC blade manufacturers have only made the standard 8mm size.

I think the market is too small for blade manufacturers to bother experimenting with, but I have wondered what it would be like to shave with a larger variety of blade widths. Or conversely if someone will ever go to the trouble of making an adjustable AC blade holder. Even if it were only adjustable by switching out some baseplate/shim to cause a change in exposure. Though I think the concept only goes so far in that once there is a lot of blade exposure getting even more does not change the shave much, as it starts looking like the trick of sandwiching a blade between two popsicle sticks.
Thanks - great info. The shim is an interesting idea but I imagine would be difficult to make. From what I've gleaned really thin slivers of metal tend to warp really easily.

I'm certainly happy with how the AC SS performs so I probably won't pursue that; I'm fully prepared to believe there's no real advantage to increased blade exposure. After all with the Pro Super blades the razor now allows a very shallow angle and very few passes.

I swapped out my Pro Super blade last night for the first time. Changed it halfway through my shave as I wanted to observe the difference directly. It was a good idea, as the 2nd half of the shave went much quicker. Interestingly there was no difference in comfort, as evidenced by post-shave tingle with alcohol-based AS: both sides were fine with minimal irritation. The blade lasted 10-11 shaves total which isn't bad, not as good as I was getting from Pros or Schick Prolines though, which were going up to the late teens before needing changed.

Just a little update on this. In about 6 months' continuous use, Pro Super blades have proven themselves, however a word of warning: with ATG shaving you need to commit. I have found that if I attempt ATG shaving with light inward pressure from the razor, cuts and irritation are increased, and the process takes much, much longer.

If you're using an AC-type razor and considering these blades, use a somewhat firm inward pressure with the razor held nearly flat, and allow the clever little bump on the forward edge of the Feather AC to lift the skin and cut hair cleanly. Hesitancy is a recipe for long-winded, uncomfortable shaves!

Luke

The ProGuard blades have the same exposure as the Pro Blades. I use the ProGuards, get an unbelievably close shave time after time with my AC RG. Tried the Pro Blades... perhaps I got a bad batch, did not like them. Never tried the Supers. After ten plus years with the Feather, finally got down the proper technique. Shallower angle and less, smooth pressure. It does take time to get it down but when done properly, the Feather is an excellent razor.

Top Bottom