What's new

Experience & Advise

Shaving: 12 years
Wet Shaving: 3 years

Best Advice: You could really write a book with everything but a few good pointers would be...

1) Proper face prep is key. Warm shower, clean and exfoliated skin, soft whiskers, let the lather sit, etc.

2) Face mapping. If you haven't done a proper face mapping and follow it religiously, don't complain about irritation, ingrowns, etc. Following your natural growth with a quality razor and sharp blade at the right angle will give you close, yet irritation free shaves every time.

3) Lather quality. I wouldn't shave with 90% of the lather I see guys posting on here. If you can see bubbles in it, if it isn't cool whip / yogurt consistency, if it isn't dense and very slick, you're not going to be getting optimal performance or protection. Quality over quantity. You don't need an entire bowl full of subpar lather caked onto your face like Santa. A thin layer of outstanding lather is all you need.

Shaving with a blade: 40+ years
Traditional wet shaving: about 8 years
Best advice:
Learn to use the "Search" button here on B&B
Don't be afraid to try new things, and remember sometimes learning what "Doesn't" work for you can be just as important learning what does.
Go with what works for YOU. Shaving is always a YMMV thing.

Age - 34

Wet-shaving for - 20 years.

One piece of advice about shaving - Shaving should be a pleasant experience. When you get your techniques nailed down, you will start to drift away on a breeze of your own thoughts while you do it. Often, a useful idea, an interesting conclusion or a solution to a difficult problem will pop into your head while you shave or just after you finish. This is the power of your unencumbered mind at work for you. Try and harness it. Also, you smell good afterwards.

Oh, forgot:

The most valuable advice: (other than no pressure!) Map your beard; find out all the odd ways your beard grows.

Wet shaving:41 years

Traditional wet shaving (i.e., with a DE): 2+

Best advice: stretch your skin opposite the way you're shaving.

Number of years traditional shaving: 4.5
Advice: It's about beard REDUCTION, not REMOVAL, and only apply "no pressure" when you're just beginning. In time you'll figure out that a little pressure is okay.

Top Bottom