What's new

Expensive soaps?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK-6 formula is around $25. That's costly for a soap for me personally, but CK-6 is good. I think that's the most I've paid for a soap.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
The most expensive stuff I've come across is the Sebum Gold soaps. I'd love to try some of their stuff, occasionally it comes up on the BST and if I suspect if I ever try it that will be the route I go. Most of the US artisan soap maker's stuff is around $25+ for 4 ounces, which ain't exactly cheap. There's some really nice ones out there. I like GD, Mike's, CBL, A&E, B&M, Noble Otter...lots of really nice artisans available. PAA & Sterling get lots of well deserved love on this forum.

But it's really hard to beat some of those tried and true European brands like La Toja, Cella, Vitos, Palmolive and Proraso which are very affordable. Also on the very affordable side is RazoRock, which makes some excellent soaps. And of course you can get great shaves on the cheap with Arko, Williams, Cremo, or Gillette Pure.

Last edited:
Surprised that Sē’bŭm Gold soaps weren’t mentioned yet. Expensive for sure but it does work very well. On a per dollar basis there are certainly much lower priced good options. SG is worth a look if you want something high end and don’t mind burn8ng up some cash to get it.

If I ever waste that kind of money on soap, I’ll commit myself. I am perfectly happy with Arko, Cella (brick) Williams and for a special treat, Tabac.

Shaving is one of things in life where more money does not equal better quality.

Take for example Stirling, a solid good performing soap. Nice scents, good lather, protective and slick. Priced fairly reasonably, specially if you live in the US. For me in Europe a bit more expensive, a tub costs me about 20€, nothing to cry about.

Then there is Palmolive stick. In my country readily available on the shelf for 1,49€/stick. It produces lather as good if not better than Stirling. And quicker too.

I know conus prices for mdc are bonkers compared to europe and it is nice soap and I tried several samples.
Will I ever buy a jar nope nada Niente!
Considering the longevity they are not that expensive but performance scent wise I am happier with stirling, B&M, tabac, A&E.

Interesting question!

My approach is to use cost/shave as the metric, not cost/soap. In other words, an ‘inexpensive’ melt-and-pour soap may not last long. In contrast, an ‘expensive’ soap to purchase (like MdC) may last for a year or more if used as your only soap. In other words, cost/shave may not be that different.

Just my $0.02!

My most expensive shaving soap is...... the Arko stick! I've tried over 10 creams, but Arko is the only soap tha i've used so far and after i'm done with most of the creams I might try the Proraso soaps to see if they are as good their cream line is.
Sorry, I couldn't resist to troll yet another soap topic with Arko :D.

MdC and SV soaps are good in their teams. Prefer MWF Tabac and DR Harris soaps morely. I sensed that DR Harris lost its reputation last couple of months in here even they have tallow still.

I thought that I had a few expensive soaps but now that I’ve seen what the Sebum products sell for they all look cheap by comparison. $700+ per jar for the top of the range!

Hmmm ... sebum is the oil that your skin produces. I don't see sebum in the ingredients of these products. They would have to harvest the oil from people! Some say superior to jojoba and offer something synthesized. But jojoba is the natural oil that is closest to sebum. Jojoba is not expensive and you can add a drop to your bowl for an "uber lather".

For $700 they would have to include a bottle of 25 year Macallan with the soap.

My most expensive shaving soap is...... the Arko stick! I've tried over 10 creams, but Arko is the only soap tha i've used so far and after i'm done with most of the creams I might try the Proraso soaps to see if they are as good their cream line is.
Sorry, I couldn't resist to troll yet another soap topic with Arko :D.
In my honest nose pinched opinion nothing beats Arko price performance wise. you can find a 2 euro 75-100g tablet piece of soap lasting longer (vergulde hand for instance) smelling more pleasant but I doubt it will out perform it.

Hmmm ... sebum is the oil that your skin produces. I don't see sebum in the ingredients of these products. They would have to harvest the oil from people! Some say superior to jojoba and offer something synthesized. But jojoba is the natural oil that is closest to sebum. Jojoba is not expensive and you can add a drop to your bowl for an "uber lather".

For $700 they would have to include a bottle of 25 year Macallan with the soap.
Since some people pay for vip used undergarments I am afraid that you can sell any soap for a hefty price if you can prove that vip used it. You still need a bottle to picture that person under your shower though. 🤪

Interesting question!

My approach is to use cost/shave as the metric, not cost/soap. In other words, an ‘inexpensive’ melt-and-pour soap may not last long. In contrast, an ‘expensive’ soap to purchase (like MdC) may last for a year or more if used as your only soap. In other words, cost/shave may not be that different.

Just my $0.02!

I hear this a lot, “MdC is cheap to use, because it lasts a long time.” Well, for Arko August I cut up two sticks of Arko in my Marvey mug and have been using it exclusively since (I’m a 3017er) I’m reasonably certain that I’ll shave at least through Easter with these same two sticks. (I puck lather) Therefore I believe for $70.00 I could shave with Arko through Armageddon.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Context is everything. I used nothing but Williams Mug and the Palmolive stick for nearly one thousand years. When I discovered Proraso online about 12 years ago I thought it was the fanciest stuff ever, and for several years it was my 'Sunday morning soap.' As time went on my soap pile grew considerably, but still the most posh soaps I've purchased were relatively modest in price- the now discontinued Valobra stick and DR Harris sticks, that I remember buying in multiples because they were on a 'two-fer' sale. The most costly single soap I've ever bought, then, would probably be Razorock's Santa Maria del Fiore, which still comes in under $20. I'd love to try Martin de Candre or the SMN cream, but one of you is going to have to give it to me. Thanks in advance!

Also, @gsurko, my 2020 Arko August stick now has about 60 shaves on it, and there's nearly 1/4 of the stick left.

Top Bottom