What's new

Expensive soaps?

I enjoy infamous Williams to once in production Creed shaving soaps. It’s your money and if you get enjoyment out of it then go for it.

I now have about seven soaps. Three by A&E, one MWF, two Mystic Water and one Proraso. I shave once a week to detail my beard. So it looks liek my kids will inherit some of these soaps. And now that I have learned to make a lather, I think these are all fantastic.

I do want to try other soaps. But it's not cost effective to keep buying pucks - and they take up shelf space. So I have been picking up samples at Maggards. Does anyone know other places that I might pick up some low cost samples? Maybe some MDC or other "exotic" soaps?

PXL_20210228_165849257.MP.jpg

Some expensive soaps/creams that I think are at the top of the heap are:

1. Sebum Soaps...Blue being the most beautiful fragrance, and Tonka Bean Butter for straight razors being the best performing shave soap I have ever used.

2. MDC Fougere, Vetyver, and MDC Agrumes...lasts forever...smells nice...this is the apocalypse soap...lots of uses per jar, won’t go bad, and as stated lasts forever!

3. Santa Maria Novella...amazing performance...amazing and refined scent.

4. Nuavia - Tallow free...top tier performer! It’s a shame they went away from the ceramic dishes!

5. Tallow + Steel - uses EOs, awesome performance, wonderful!

I use them because I always get good deals, and they are some of the best soaps in existence.

Vr

Matt

I now have about seven soaps. Three by A&E, one MWF, two Mystic Water and one Proraso. I shave once a week to detail my beard. So it looks liek my kids will inherit some of these soaps. And now that I have learned to make a lather, I think these are all fantastic.

I do want to try other soaps. But it's not cost effective to keep buying pucks - and they take up shelf space. So I have been picking up samples at Maggards. Does anyone know other places that I might pick up some low cost samples? Maybe some MDC or other "exotic" soaps?

View attachment 1229777
@Eastcoast30 - try shavedash - they're in England but have a great sample selection.

I would second Shavedash. Carries a lot of limited editions and others that you can’t find at Maggards

Keep an eye out for the holy black releases. I believe the soap and splash come as a set and they're in the 100 dollar range plus shipping. Insane price for soap. Can't speak for how good it is nor will I ever at that price for a soap.

For straight razor shaving it's all about slickness. The slickest soaps will provide the best lubrication for the blade - if you mix them right ie with plenty of water.

Tabac, Arko & Muhle all work great for me. I like shave sticks rather than bowl soap. A Dr Harris stick is probably next on the list.

PAA do a thing called the Cube which adds extra slickness to your shaving soap. I'd like to try that one day.

SV is pretty durable stuff, with great scents and great performance as well. I have a puck in my cast-aluminum Bullgoose tub I've used for months, and I'd say less than 1/4 gone. Expensive up front, but solid value for cost.

The most expensive soap I have is Nuavia. Blu and Nero. I got a sample of Blu and Rossa from Shavedash and loved the performance and the Blu scent.

They were on sale at Pasteurs a few weeks ago ,- around $42 each, so brought Blu and blind bought Nera. I do wish they still had the ceramic jars.

I do want to try other soaps. But it's not cost effective to keep buying pucks - and they take up shelf space. So I have been picking up samples at Maggards. Does anyone know other places that I might pick up some low cost samples?
Samples at Stirling are 1oz sized pucks for like $3.50 each and most people get 25-30 3 pass shaves from 1 sample puck!! That definitely falls under low cost or value and the soaps not bad either... Being that you are only cleaning up your beard you should get twice what others get. They have quite a collection of scents to choose from and I'm sure there would be something you'd like.

Good thread and discussion. The only real expensive one I got was a tub of PannaCrema Nuavia Blu (on sale) because I had to see for myself if the extra cost is worth it. Not sorry I got it. It's nice in all respects, but I wouldn't go that way again. Others 1/2 the price are just as nice. And I'd never be able to afford 50 other soaps if I only bought ones like that. Of course, if you're a one or two soap kinda guy, you might happily go that direction.

In the big scheme of things even expensive soaps don't actually cost much on a per use basis. However, I would blanche at spending a £100 on a single soap...

Particularly so, when considering the phenomenal performance one can enjoy from soaps in the £15 to £20 range.

For £100 I would expect the soap to whisper sweet nothings to me during lathering and give me a damn good cuddle post-shave 😉

Top Bottom