What's new

Expensive month

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, for me anyway...

I begrudgingly accepted that my waistline has expanded beyond what is comfortable for my current legwear. I have been trying to eat healthier, but disability limits my ability to do any form of exercise, and 34" waist trousers simply aren't big enough anymore. Standing isn't so bad, but sitting, especially after food, was getting quite uncomfortable.

I ordered a couple of pair of 36" waist trousers from an online retailer, just to be sure I was happy with their quality. I was, and the difference in comfort was very noticeable indeed. The old stuff wouldn't feel right after a couple of days with those. So today, I decided to jump in with both feet while their summer sale was on, and just ordered the rest of the waist down wardrobe.

In total, that's...

2 pairs of chinos (two different "tan" shades)
2 pairs of needle cords (one light grey, one navy)
2 pairs of moleskins (one camel, one dark olive)
1 pair jumbo cords (gunmetal)
2 pairs chino shorts (one stone, one navy)

No dress trousers. Not something I need often, so I'll worry about them when the need arises ... or squeeze into an old pair if I'm desperate.

Now comes the vanity question. Do I bag and save the existing clobber, in case I manage to downshift the spare tyre, or accept defeat and get rid...?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You could probably have some of your old stuff let out if you like it enough.

I don't think they're made the right way for that, to be honest. When the new stuff comes in, I'll wear them for a few days, then go back and "try on" all the old stuff again. Some might still be OK, and I'll probably bag and save the "near misses". The ones that are obviously too small, I'll rehome.

For example, I tried on my three pairs of smart trousers. One I could fasten if I "breathed in", and they didn't feel too bad. The other two pairs, despite being supposedly the same size, were laughably undersize.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, that escalated quickly...

Still waiting for the trouser order, as the retailer is having covid staffing issues by the sounds of it. However, it went from being replacing all the strides, to a full wardrobe overhaul. Short and long sleeve shirts, heavy winter shirts, V neck tees, jumpers, fleeces, footwear, underwear. The works.

Basically, I blew the savings I was putting aside for a holiday, but feel much better for doing so. I scavanged through several retailer's summer sales, picking up many a bargain along the way. My bank account hasn't had a kicking like this for years, in terms of clothing. It feels good to have shed the old skin and grown a new one though.

Coats survived for the most part, but I have splurged in treatments for them. Leather treatments, wax dressing, goretex treatments, cotton wash-in treatments. Everything will be working its way back to fully waterproof over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom