What's new

Expensive hones!

For those of you who may own one of these hones, for the question lets just say a japanese natural stone, which i have seen on certain sites selling around $700, are these stones that good a finishing stone as the price tag? or, are they much much better than say a coti? if i splashed out that much would i just say bye bye to my coti, or is there no huge differance, would i know if given 2 razors, one honed on a coti, one on a japanese hone?
Now i am not going to buy one, but curious to know if they are miles better than a coti, or no huge differance?

Send a razor out to someone that uses Jnats and see if you feel the difference. I have only one razor done on a Jnat, while it is a very nice shave I'm not so sure it's any better than the coti or thuri finished razors I have.

Send a razor out to someone that uses Jnats and see if you feel the difference. I have only one razor done on a Jnat, while it is a very nice shave I'm not so sure it's any better than the coti or thuri finished razors I have.

This is my feelings about them, though i have not tried a razor honed this way, thanks for your reply.

It depends of the quarry, layer, authenticity, general quality, slurry build up, etc...

I LOVE my Yaganoshima Asagi and nothing gives me as smooth an edge like this stone. I love my Coticules too, but the Asagi is in a league of its own. It's amazing what this stone can do.

Now the best edge of some of my coticule stones are just as comfortable, no razor burn whatsoever, but right of the stone, the Asagi gives a slightly better edge.

Here's my spin on the subject. Jnats are nice. VERY nice. Just about every blade I've had honed on them has been incredible. However, I've had razors honed on coticules by certain people that were VERY nice, and some honed on synths that are VERY nice. The poster above (Jende Industries) produces some of the smoothest, sharpest edges I've shaved with and it's all synthetic.

So, it all depends on the user. A good enough artist of sharpening can create a masterful blade regardless the medium.

That being said, should you wish to learn the Jnats, I hardly think you'll be disappointed.

There exist cheaper ways to great Jnats as well, if you can live with a 140-150x40mm stone.
I have a "travel" size Ozuku Asagi, and the more I use it and get to know it, the better edges I get. It's capable of a really sharp but smooth edges. It set me back $100 with Tenjyou and Tomo nagura stones.

There exist cheaper ways to great Jnats as well, if you can live with a 140-150x40mm stone.
I have a "travel" size Ozuku Asagi, and the more I use it and get to know it, the better edges I get. It's capable of a really sharp but smooth edges. It set me back $100 with Tenjyou and Tomo nagura stones.

Where?

I don't know if they are worth it but I wouldn't be paying $700 for a hone. I've got a Nakayama Asagi that I think I paid around $100 for and it is a very nice finishing stone. I'm sure the $700 is better but I doubt that it would be $600 better.

I checked all your posts about a link but there is none that I could find, so I figured I'd help a member instead.

You didn't look very hard did you? :001_smile Mouse over the post I say it's in, and you will find it

Or hit "Reply with quote" and it becomes very obvious.

Top Bottom