What's new

Expensive brushes - yes or no? Poll.

Would you consider spending 300$ on a shaving brush?

• Yes

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 259 78.2%

• Total voters
I was a "no" until 2 months ago. I previously owned a Chubby 2 Super, Savile Rows, and all that, but switched to synthetics a few years back. Now I switched back to badger only and been hunting all the "top" artisan brushes in the market (so far have acquired or gotten into the following waitlists: Declaration Grooming B9a 28mm, Paladin Beehive 26mm, M&F Ebonite 2XL 28mm, Oku Brush Sevilla 26mm (below 300), Mozingo ZT3 brush 28mm, Rhodium Brush 28mm, The Varlet 29mm Ranger HD). Still pending to receive some of those, but after that, I would only need to try to get a Black Eagle someday.

I dislike the thought of buying a used brush, so Wiborgs and others are out of the equation for me. But yes, you can count me in the "Yes" category now lol

I would not drop that kind of coin for a brush. I have had several brushes over $150, and they were great, or most were. I have had a few under $10 that were as good. To clarify, I'm talking about both performance and feel. Raw materials are inexpensive, and even really good raw materials and really good craftsmanship can only improve the experience so much. The distinct feel of really good 2-band or Simpson Best or what have you is there, and it is better to some guys' tastes. That can be had for under $200.

I have used high-end Plissons and big Simpson Supers (T4, PL10), and they were not better than my $150-ish brushes (none of which I still own), by any standard. You are paying for exclusivity and branding at that price point, and while to some degree you are always paying for the former, paying for the latter is silly IMO, and when you are paying only for exclusivity, well, no.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I was a "no" until 2 months ago. I previously owned a Chubby 2 Super, Savile Rows, and all that, but switched to synthetics a few years back. Now I switched back to badger only and been hunting all the "top" artisan brushes in the market (so far have acquired or gotten into the following waitlists: Declaration Grooming B9a 28mm, Paladin Beehive 26mm, M&F Ebonite 2XL 28mm, Oku Brush Sevilla 26mm (below 300), Mozingo ZT3 brush 28mm, Rhodium Brush 28mm, The Varlet 29mm Ranger HD). Still pending to receive some of those, but after that, I would only need to try to get a Black Eagle someday.

I dislike the thought of buying a used brush, so Wiborgs and others are out of the equation for me. But yes, you can count me in the "Yes" category now lol

I had a Wiborg a few years ago. Nice brush, but not too different from other well made brushes. Ended up selling it.

I have a chubby 3 which gives a very luxurious face lather. It cost under $200 . Before those criticise anyone spending $300 or more, ask how many brushes do those in favour of cheaper ones own. I'm constantly astounded when I read of guts who own a dozen brushes or more. Bet these numerous cheap brushes total more outlay than the one or two more luxurious brushes.

I have a chubby 3 which gives a very luxurious face lather. It cost under $200 . Before those criticise anyone spending $300 or more, ask how many brushes do those in favour of cheaper ones own. I'm constantly astounded when I read of guts who own a dozen brushes or more. Bet these numerous cheap brushes total more outlay than the one or two more luxurious brushes.
This is the point. Quality over quantity.

I had a Wiborg a few years ago. Nice brush, but not too different from other well made brushes. Ended up selling it.
I know I'm getting away from brushes here, but that's where I was with a couple of Wolfman razors I came to possess. They were good in use (but I had others that worked better for me), and they were incredibly beautiful, but it was just too tempting to turn them into cash.

I haven't seen many posts from people talking about their 1 or 2 high dollar brushes. They generally seem to have quite a few more. So apparently the high dollar brush doesn't meet all their needs. At that price you think it would, but a lot of people collect things.

I would never criticize how someone spends their money. It is their money.

Some people don't bother with their pennies. Others do collect their pennies. In this man's case it worked out to over $114.00 a year. Most people can afford losing that amount a year, but why would someone knowingly throw it away?

My usual target is closer to $250 or less, but I do have a few more expensive brushes. I am drawn to art as well as function, so that drives up the prices, especially so if you opt for a custom hand tied knot.

I have very few regrets to buying higher end brushes.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
These polls/posts are numerous for all shaving hardware and software, brush, razor, soap/cream, and I’ve never been sure what the purpose of them is. Then after a month or two there’s another one - kind of like the recurring ‘Would you buy a used soap’ threads. I’ve killed a lot of brain cells to read a lot of them. There’s never any conclusion or answer beyond ‘some will and some won’t’. If you’re looking for anything beyond that you’re unlikely to find it.

These polls/posts are numerous for all shaving hardware and software, brush, razor, soap/cream, and I’ve never been sure what the purpose of them is. Then after a month or two there’s another one - kind of like the recurring ‘Would you buy a used soap’ threads. I’ve killed a lot of brain cells to read a lot of them. There’s never any conclusion or answer beyond ‘some will and some won’t’. If you’re looking for anything beyond that you’re unlikely to find it.
so true!!! on ANY hobby you can go cheap or go super expensive on artisan products or anywhere in between. enjoy your hobbies to the fullest. pay what you are comfortable with.

These threads end up as the have vs have nots. Who cares. Use what you like. Same as cars. If you have a Porsche 911 and love it cool. If you drive a Chevy cobalt and love it cool. Same for brushes and other things in life. Do what you do and don’t give a crap about what others do.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Tonight I'm gonna use a $290 Simpson Duke 3 Two Band SiLVERTiP with a .99c stick of Arko. Some day I'd like to try some of that $500 sebum soap that requires a hypodermic needle and a golden bowl and whip it up with a $6 Omega S Brush synthetic.

I'm actually serious about the first part, by the way.

My highest amount spent on a brush was just a couple bucks over the $100 usd threshold. This price point was largely due to size of knot in badger more than anything else.

Top Bottom