What's new

Expensive brushes - yes or no? Poll.

Would you consider spending 300$ on a shaving brush?

• Yes

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 259 78.2%

• Total voters

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I was wondering what is the reasonable limit on shaving brushes cost. Do you have some sort of a limit or is it only quality that matters?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've considered it but have never done so. I've had great luck buying expensive brushes on sale or on offer. The secret is patience. If I want something and I want it NOW I risk paying full price. But if I'm willing to wait and watch I can usually get a good deal. Simpson's have a couple of excellent price reductions on select items each year, and most of my Simpsons have come this way or by way of occasional discounts offered at WCS or The Superior Shave. Paladin's "Barely Seconds" are another place where I've bought expensive brushes with at least a little money taken off.

One of the few exceptions to this was when Simpsons offered special edition M7 synthetics 2 years ago. For several years I asked Mr Watterson to make some M7 synths every time I ran into him on social media. When they finally made a few in 2018 I immediately bought a couple at full price, and it's a good thing that I did as I haven't seen another one since.

I've considered it and I've spent it. Those brushes are still in my den.

To answer your question, the only "reasonable limit" is the limit you impose upon yourself. If you're contemplating spending a tidy sum of money on a shaving brush that will negatively affect your quality of life, then it's worth taking a step back and evaluating if it's really worthwhile.

As Owen mentioned above, you can find sales and markdowns on high end badger brush makers such as Paladin and Simpson at the end of the year.

As someone who had never spent more than $30 on a brush, I just spent money on a Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic and also a Rudy Vey Silvertip.

Are the brushes nice? Yes.
Are they better than my two sub $30 Yaqi's? For sure.
Are they worth the extra money? See below.

If I had to rank the importance of shaving components to me (assuming your technique is sound), I would say:

1. Soap
2. Blade
3. Razor
4. Brush

If you look at shaving as a hobby and fine with spending the extra $ then I would say go for it. But if you are on a budget and still trying to figure out (1), (2) and (3), I would say that is more important than the brush and should be where the $ should go.

Just my 2c.

I spent about that on my Rooney Finest... It's unquestionably the best brush I've ever used.

I've also tried a half dozen other $300 brushes, and mostly, No... I wouldn't consider them much better than a $50-$150 brush. The Finest is the exception to the rule... that said, an exception exists, so I've got to vote yes.

If I ever sold my Finest, and then the Rooney Finest somehow came back into production and was the same as before... I'd drop $300 replacing it in a heartbeat.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I see no reason to spend that much when I can get @Rudy Vey brushes with a variety of badger and synthetic knots mounted in a variety of great handles for much less than $300.

Others may find the $300 or more to be money well spent and that is up to them. :)

Just my opinion. :)

Space_Cadet

I spent about that on my Rooney Finest... It's unquestionably the best brush I've ever used.

Rooney Finest? What exactly is that?
I have a brush that looks like this, I think it is called "Rooney Heritage Collection Stubby 3 Super Badger" if I'm not mistaken.
Is that what you mean or something else?

Rooney.jpg

Until Roughly 2010 Rooney had an extremely high end two band offering they called "Finest". The hair is a stiff, scrubby 2 band with extremely white tips and a ton of backbone, and the knots were packed as dense as any brush has ever been packed.

Here's a review of the smallest of the line (1/1) from 2008:

Space_Cadet

Until Roughly 2010 Rooney had an extremely high end two band offering they called "Finest". The hair is a stiff, scrubby 2 band with extremely white tips and a ton of backbone, and the knots were packed as dense as any brush has ever been packed.

Oh, I see. Sounds incredible. If you ask me Rooney was the finest brush maker on the market, and it's a tragedy that they have gone out of business.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Here's a review of the smallest of the line (1/1) from 2008:

I had one of those. It was very soft whey dry, but when it was wet, the hair felt like barbed wire on my skin, the most scritchy, prickly brush I ever had. Sold it within a short time. My favorite Rooney brush that I still have is the two-band Super badger, it came out when the made the first Stubby's with the double ring, probably also around the 2010 time or about. This one is superb, very soft (even when wet) and densely packed with a good backbone.

The most expensive ones I have are a few Varlet brushes and a couple Black Eagle HT1 brushes. Recently the prices seem to have increased a bit more to where they are now approaching or even surpass the $500 mark. I though it was insane to pay three something for a brush so, I'm glad that I have what I do, as I won't be buying any more of these.

Are the better? Yes, they definitely are, but they are not several hundred dollars better.

I was wondering what is the reasonable limit on shaving brushes cost. Do you have some sort of a limit or is it only quality that matters?
If you DIY there are savings to be had. The satisfaction of doing it. Custom knot setting when you do it yourself.
The two boar handles were $22.37, two boar knots $27.00 the two band $40.41 the silvertip $52.88 blue acrylic handle $26.57 chubby acrylic handle $39.86 total $209.09 cad or $148.04 usd which is a nice price for four brushes.
The two beautiful Zenith brushes I purchased were more than the four knots and handles. I love the Zeniths and would never part with them. I love the look of expensive brushes and handles. I have another two band knot on the way. I guess I’ll never own an expensive brush.

Attachments

• 9F8DCC3A-12FC-427B-8933-094E98CBFFF0.jpeg
    9F8DCC3A-12FC-427B-8933-094E98CBFFF0.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Top Bottom