What's new

Expensive brushes - yes or no? Poll.

Would you consider spending 300$ on a shaving brush?

• Yes

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 259 78.2%

• Total voters
The most expensive Brushes I've bought were the Semogue OC Badger (around 70€) and the Semogue TSN Limited Edition Boar (60€). Nice brushes, but my 15€ Razorock Bruce or Stirling Tuxedo outperform them by a wide margin.

I think 80€ would be my absolute cut off point for a brush, but even then it must bring something spectacular to the table.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There are many good thoughts here on this subject. I agree with most of it. I think that the brush has the least impact on shave result versus blades, razor, and soap. I believe that a $10 synth does the same job as an expensive badger, and does it just as competently. But I also believe that for many of us, this is a hobby of excess luxury spending. So I have no issue with spending that kind of money on a brush. You gotta do what makes you happy. And what you can afford. The high Zoot brushes just don’t float my boat at the moment. But years ago I would have never imagined I’d spend $300 on a DE razor, and I’ve already passed that line a few times. So who knows what the future holds for my brush collection. But right now... no.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was always the $2.00 brush guy. I used one for years. I would not spend $300.00 on a brush. I have just bought my dearest brush ever at around the $40.00 mark. A new Simpson which I hope to have early next week. I will see what I have been missing out on.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The only expensive wet shaving items in my den are my brushes. All my razors, soaps, creams and aftershaves are either reasonably priced or cheap.

Is it worth buying pricey brushes? Well yes, to me it is. They will perform better and be more enjoyable to use. And with proper care they may even last a lifetime (I've seen brushes of +30 years still in excellent conditions).

That said, all my very best and luxurious brushes are below the $300 mark quoted in this thread. A very high quality brush does not need to cost that much. IMHO.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I was always the $2.00 brush guy. I used one for years. I would not spend $300.00 on a brush. I have just bought my dearest brush ever at around the $40.00 mark. A new Simpson which I hope to have early next week. I will see what I have been missing out on.

Which Simpson brush are you waiting for, my friend?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I am waiting on a Simpson Pure Badger Special 1. I have it coming from a shaving website here in Australia. It will be the dearest brush that I have bought.

My friend, among my many Simpsons I have this one, too. It's tiny and "scrubby", but still a very good brush for the money.

Congrats on your purchase!

The only expensive wet shaving items in my den are my brushes. All my razors, soaps, creams and aftershaves are either reasonably priced or cheap.

Is it worth buying pricey brushes? Well yes, to me it is. They will perform better and be more enjoyable to use. And with proper care they may even last a lifetime (I've seen brushes of +30 years still in excellent conditions).

That said, all my very best and luxurious brushes are below the $300 mark quoted in this thread. A very high quality brush does not need to cost that much. IMHO.
You are correct, sir. I have a Simpson Chubby 3 Best that I purchased in London in 1998. Been using it in my rotation since then and it is still going strong.

Most I have ever spent for a brush was about $190, for a superbly crafted Rudy Vey custom with a Shavemac D01 two band knot. Worth it? Damn Skippy...but much of the value also is affected by the sentiment which accompanies the brush.

You are correct, sir. I have a Simpson Chubby 3 Best that I purchased in London in 1998. Been using it in my rotation since then and it is still going strong.

I have a VDH boar brush that I bought for $4 10 years ago that I use almost everyday. I received an AOS badger as a gift that I use occasionally. I doubt if it cost more than $10.

I have a number of brushes ranging in price from $10 up to about $175. I am sure a three hundred dollar brush would be nice, but not I am not so sure the additional price would be justified. I would like to add a Saville Row 3128 ($195) to my collection to join my 3324. However, I do not see the need to spend more than $200 on a brush.

Another ‘No’ vote! I have great brushes that cost well below $300.

To me, this is akin to folks who spend big bucks for collector liquor; great to display to other collectors! However, performance in blind tastings is often less than much less expensive options.

I am the guy who wants to purchase quality products at fair prices: especially those that perform better than much more expensive options! :a29::a29:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve only recently begun to shave with a heightened sense of awareness. I’m discovering razors, blades, soaps, creams and brushes and seeing what appeals to me within my budget. The encouraging thing is that there are quality products I can acquire while maintaining my frugal sensibilities. I have a badger, boar, horse and synthetic brush. They all feel different on my face, create unique lathers and preform differently. I am curious about the high end brushes naturally because I enjoy the experience. I test drove a Porsche I had no intention of buying and it ruined it for me with my daily driver. Ignorance is bliss?
No

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Ignorance is bliss?

Uh... I think that's a philosophical question. Well, I do have an MA degree in Philosophy. I don't think ignorance is bliss, because you stay unaware of all the options that exist and that can improve your condition, but on the other hand there is some peace of mind in ignorance, exactly because you are unaware that there are better options, more so also because many times those options can be unobtainable for you, making you feel worse. It's a dialectical kind of thing. :)

My view is that if I know I will use a product very frequently, then I have no problem spending more to get what I want.

Therefore, I’m not someone that collects many brushes, razors or soaps. If I don’t use it, I either give it away or sell it. I have two Simpson brushes that I use every time I shave and I love them, over the time I have had them it’s cost pennies a day since I use them often.

Top Bottom