What's new

Expected life expectancy of Stainless Steel AR barrel.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Does anyone have an idea of the accuracy life expectancy of SS AR barrels NOT subjected to full auto or frequent mag dumps? In general, I have chosen SS barrels opting for accuracy over the extended life of a hammer forged chrome lined barrel. Does anyone know at what round count I would expect accuracy to decrease if the barrel is not subjected to extreme firing conditions as mentioned above? My most extreme use would consist of rapid double taps on a dozen targets or less in a match shooting stage. Obviously, ammo used would have an effect on barrel wear. Full power NATO and max reloads would wear a barrel faster than mid level target rounds. Any educated guesses?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can probably get an idea on some of the other forums or even ask a barrel manufacturer. I know that serious target shooters would change out a barrel sooner than the average AR owner, who would probably never change out a barrel. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate my Aero Precision barrel was and I would consider it as being somewhat better than rack grade, but certainly not top tier. With the right ammo it has shot sub-MOA and usually 1.5 MOA with anything else. I don't expect that to last indefinitely, but when should I expect to see a degradation in accuracy, and will it ever get to the point where accuracy is totally unacceptable? A serious accuracy buff might change out a barrel after 3-4K rounds, I'm thinking. But will the average SS barrel wear to the point that you can't keep your shots in the A zone of an IPSC target at moderate ranges?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I can probably get an idea on some of the other forums or even ask a barrel manufacturer. I know that serious target shooters would change out a barrel sooner than the average AR owner, who would probably never change out a barrel. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate my Aero Precision barrel was and I would consider it as being somewhat better than rack grade, but certainly not top tier. With the right ammo it has shot sub-MOA and usually 1.5 MOA with anything else. I don't expect that to last indefinitely, but when should I expect to see a degradation in accuracy, and will it ever get to the point where accuracy is totally unacceptable? A serious accuracy buff might change out a barrel after 3-4K rounds, I'm thinking. But will the average SS barrel wear to the point that you can't keep your shots in the A zone of an IPSC target at moderate ranges?
With stainless steel in just a target rifle that will only ever be used shooting targets and will be taken very good care of? As you said most competitors won’t ever let their barrels get to 6K. But a non competitive shooter, might see changes from a ransom rest somewhere between the 8 -10K mark? Maybe even 12K from a bag?

In saying this, if it’s an all purpose rifle, that does other range or practice drill type stuff? It doesn’t have to just be a couple of mag dumps that could warp or alter the accuracy of that SS barrel?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
With stainless steel in just a target rifle that will only ever be used shooting targets and will be taken very good care of? As you said most competitors won’t ever let their barrels get to 6K. But a non competitive shooter, might see changes from a ransom rest somewhere between the 8 -10K mark? Maybe even 12K from a bag?

In saying this, if it’s an all purpose rifle, that does other range or practice drill type stuff? It doesn’t have to just be a couple of mag dumps that could warp or alter the accuracy of that SS barrel?
Can you 'splain this a little further? Are you saying just a couple of mag dumps could alter the accuracy of a SS barrel without a high round count? Oh by the way, I love you like a brother, but your use of question marks confuses me at times!

OkieStubble

Can you 'splain this a little further?

Sure thing, brother. :)

Are you saying just a couple of mag dumps could alter the accuracy of a SS barrel without a high round count?
Yes, that’s what I’m saying. First off, when it comes to using a stainless steel barrel, we need to differentiate between what type of SS barrel you have? (there is another question mark for you :) )

There is a difference between a 416 SS barrel and a 416R SS barrel? The 416R is better?
( another question mark! I can’t help it, dammit! )

Stainless Steel is better for accuracy then Chrome-Moly.
It’s also better for resisting heat. But chrome molybdenum is better for wear. Add a Chromium Phosphate lining, (chrome lined). And the barrel and throat are now better to withstand the scourge of wear & heat better then your SS. But your SS is definitely more accurate.

However, just because a barrel, regardless of which of the two types of SS or Chrome- Moly, the heat from constant 30 round mag dumps can warp the accuracy of a barrel.

The target accuracy of your SS is good for around 6K in a perfect world. But the complete life can be 20,000 rounds? What does this mean? If your SS barrel is minus 1 MOA when new, is it unacceptable at 1” MOA at 3K? Surely the accuracy will be gone at 10K? But could you still hit a man sized target at 10K? Barrel life and target accuracy and combat accuracy, are all completely different things?

For instance, the barrel on my LWRC, starts out with 41V45 machine gun steel. There isn’t better steel for a rifle barrel than this, short of using experimental titanium, which still lacks in bullet harmonics and a few other things. The militaries M2 .50 caliber machine gun, uses the exact same steel just as a reference point.

The barrel to receiver interface on my LWRC, is almost three 3X more robust than any other rifle. It is a cold, rotary, hammer forged barrel, over a precision mandrel and boasts perfect bores that are
consistent in concentricity at just 0.0002”.

The barrel is a heavy match grade, that is finished and machined in bull barrel profiles, to maximize accuracy and minimize the adverse effects of barrel whip and harmonics. However, it is spiral fluted, which is an industry first. This spiral fluting, not only eliminates 20% of a bull barrel’s total weight, but it also allows the barrel to stay cooler and cool faster when heated, then other barrels with straight fluting.

It also has a target crown that is used to maximize hit probability. The inside barrel, instead of being chrome lined which adds weight, is finished instead, with a NiCorr surface conversion process. NiCorr is harder than chrome and offers a lower co-efficient of friction, adding to barrel life and
muzzle velocity.

It also makes the barrel easier to clean as they do not foul with copper as readily and are virtually impervious to corrosion. LWRC, says the life of the barrel, is easily good for 20,000 rounds. Along with it’s nickel- boron coated BCG and chamber, makes it one badass, accurate AR.

But in saying all of this, your SS barrel, will easily print better MOA’s, then the really expensive barrel of my LWRC.

But I bet, my barrel’s accuracy, will easily outlast your barrel’s accuracy. My dad can beat up your dad type of thing. :)

Oh by the way, I love you like a brother, but your use of question marks confuses me at times!

Really? So you’re just going to ignore all the comma splicing I’m guilty of? :)

Last edited:
So uh… don’t land on it when you jump out of a plane. That can bend the barrel, even out of gage, which will also affect accuracy.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So uh… don’t land on it when you jump out of a plane. That can bend the barrel, even out of gage, which will also affect accuracy.
My jumping days are over. Also, don't drop it from several hundred feet even in a case. You might have to police the DZ all night till you find it! Don't ask me how I know! (No, I didn't drop mine).

My jumping days are over. Also, don't drop it from several hundred feet even in a case. You might have to police the DZ all night till you find it! Don't ask me how I know! (No, I didn't drop mine).
hands across the DZ is a time honored training event.

it was mostly helmets. rucks and 1950s/other cases tended to stay together and be easy to find. pistols? small things not properly secured/tied down in rucks? those were the fun ones.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
On the flipside, if I were to build a 5.56/.223 SBR upper, which might see frequent mag dumps, binary trigger or other hot high-volume work, what 41V43 NiCorr short barrels are there available for such a build?

OkieStubble

On the flipside, if I were to build a 5.56/.223 SBR upper, which might see frequent mag dumps, binary trigger or other hot high-volume work, what 41V43 NiCorr short barrels are there available for such a build?

Step into my office…. :)

You don’t need Nicorr for 10.5. It’s gonna get really hot no matter what. Chrome will do. :)

OkieStubble

FN’s barrel will run you about $300. Another good option that can save you some money is Faxon Arms.

They machine their own stuff. Their barrels won’t be 41V45, but they like to mimic it, by taking 4150 chrome moly instead of the industry standard 4140 and then they add a bit of vanadium to it. Not Vandium, but Vanadium. About 5%. They they do a heat treated hardening process. They will even flute the barrel for you which takes costs a bit more.

Their prices run from $170 and up, depending on what you want on your hotdog.

If you’re looking for 41V45 with Nicorr, you’re only gonna find that from the likes of LWRC, KAC, Noveske and other upper tier makers. But I think most of them only sell their stuff as complete uppers, which range around $1500 -2K price tag just for the upper.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
FN sounds good, but for my use, any quality ChroMo would probably do. Not going to do full auto. With an 10.5 in. or shorter, not looking for top accuracy.

OkieStubble

FN sounds good, but for my use, any quality ChroMo would probably do. Not going to do full auto. With an 10.5 in. or shorter, not looking for top accuracy.

Any chrome lined barrel will do. Just answering your question bro.

Look, no question marks. :)

On the flipside, if I were to build a 5.56/.223 SBR upper, what 41V43 NiCorr short barrels are there available for such a build?

And, with most any option, you can send it to H&M Metal Processing for black nitride. The advantage (unless LWRC offers the same option with NiCorr) is that H&M is $350/ BATCH, not per arm/piece.

So with H&M, you could ship your Ruger MkII, your 1911 barrel, slide & frame, and your SS AR barrel, all for one price.

OkieStubble

And, with most any option, you can send it to H&M Metal Processing for black nitride. The advantage (unless LWRC offers the same option with NiCorr) is that H&M is $350/ BATCH, not per arm/piece.

So with H&M, you could ship your Ruger MkII, your 1911 barrel, slide & frame, and your SS AR barrel, all for one price.

Nicorr is for the internals of the barrel in place of chrome, not the external finish of the rifle? :)

Salt bath nitriding is usually a dunking process, making it easier to apply than HC, since you don't need the special bore-electrode, and it covers everything, outside & in. I would suspect LWCR is set up with specific barrel and possibly bolt/carrier fixtures. The black surface is an addition to the nitride hardening, like a Glock barrel or slide.

You may find a nitrided SS barrel under $350, I have no idea. The thing about H&M is that you can get several pieces done for one fee.🙂

OkieStubble

Salt bath nitriding is usually a dunking process, making it easier to apply than HC, since you don't need the special bore-electrode, and it covers everything, outside & in. I would suspect LWCR is set up with specific barrel and possibly bolt/carrier fixtures. The black surface is an addition to the nitride hardening, like a Glock barrel or slide.

You may find a nitrided SS barrel under $350, I have no idea. The thing about H&M is that you can get several pieces done for one fee.🙂

Nitride is well known for being the hardening finish used by those who want a finished stainless steel barrel.

LWRC International is something quite different and Unique. So unique, they do no outsourcing.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well, I made an impulse buy of a Spikes Tactical branded FN barrel. While I wanted a 10.5 inch barrel, they only had 11.5. Hopefully it won't be too front heavy. This will be used in an additional upper for my .300 BO pistol build.

Top Bottom