What's new

expectations...

You are doing much better than I. My first 16 shaves involved some blood. Things gradually got better until started getting pretty good shaves around #50. I get good shaves today, but still cannot get BBS in some places because of the way my beard grows.

Each to their own. I obviously prefer a different surface finish on my bevel than you do.

I use natural stones to finish, so yes, a very different finish than you like.
However, I am not trying to convince someone new that they need to bring their razor to a 200k finish to get a nice comfortable sharp edge either.
I am happy film works for you and you like it. It is NOT the preferred finish for most that have been honing for any length of time and you certainly CAN get a great finish at 10-12k depending on the stones.
Experimenting, technique, practice, time and knowledge will show you this.

with comments about touch up methods..... I'll chalk this up to a preference thing.

ill most likely go 12k if I commit. looking at it from a newcomer's perspective, I gotta evaluate resale possibilities if I decide this isn't for me. I dont see this happening.......but would guess it's easier to dump a 12k naniwa on the market in this case.

hopefully all continues to go well and this a mute point.

camo

Last edited:
with comments about touch up methods..... I'll chalk this up to a preference thing.

ill most likely go 12k if I commit. looking at it from a newcomer's perspective, I gotta evaluate resale possibilities if I decide this isn't for me. I dont see this happening.......but would guess it's easier to dump a 12k naniwa on the market in this case.

camo
Keep in mind that for most of shaving history, all that men used at home to touch up their straight razors was a barber's hone, a linen strop and a leather strop. These barber's hones varied greatly but were most likely in the range of 8000 to 12,000 grit and were offen used with oil not water. Also, as a beginner you may not want to have an edge that is as sharp as what an experienced shaver would enjoy and be competent enough to handle.

camo

Absolutely, if you don't like it or want it - it still has value.
Buy the thicker version. It costs more because its worth more, both before and after.
Good luck!

Absolutely, if you don't like it or want it - it still has value.
Buy the thicker version. It costs more because its worth more, both before and after.
Good luck!

question on that stone.....mentions needing lapping before use????

has instructions for this hopefully?????

camo

Keep in mind that for most of shaving history, all that men used at home to touch up their straight razors was a barber's hone, a linen strop and a leather strop. These barber's hones varied greatly but were most likely in the range of 8000 to 12,000 grit and were offen used with oil not water. Also, as a beginner you may not want to have an edge that is as sharp as what an experienced shaver would enjoy and be competent enough to handle.

understood....have a fairly sharp one now. when the other returns from the professional hone....will have to compare and make some informed decisions then.

right now....what I have works I'd say.

camo

All stones need lapping when new really and periodic checking is not a bad idea.
The 20mm stone is a little more stable. In use I would wet one side then flip it and wet then use the other. Continually putting water on one side attributes to some warp.
Some w/d paper of about 600-800 grit on a flat surface will get you there without buying a surfacing plate.
w/d paper hold the grit better than other forms.

also thought about my routine.......

if this sticks.....might have to become a PM shaver. cant see rushing this one before work.....would rather be able to take my time and enjoy.

well see......also as I progress will have to see what my total shave time ends up being. I realize this will fluctuate as exp. is gained.

camo

Learning to strop well I think is actually more important than honing. I bought some balsa wood and that Dovo Green paste to compliment my hanging strop and kept an edge forever.

I ultimately went overboard and bought every rock under the sun, but you don’t know what you don’t know. And that’s the thing. Some blades rock a Arkansas edge, others a synthetic and yet others say a coti’s. But that’s pretty advanced. Learn what you have, and you’re good! You don’t need a ton of stuff... you just end up with it the more you chase the holy grail of a blade that pops hair off by just looking at it.

Every stone is an investment, but naturals hold their value the most. Though I honestly believe they aren’t the best place to start. Synthetic’s I believe are the way to start even though you’re not going to get much reselling it. But it’ll last you a lifetime and you can do knives on em too.

good luck!

also thought about my routine.......

if this sticks.....might have to become a PM shaver. cant see rushing this one before work.....would rather be able to take my time and enjoy.

well see......also as I progress will have to see what my total shave time ends up being. I realize this will fluctuate as exp. is gained.

camo
Exactly...switch to evening shaves if they give you more time to conclude your relaxing SR shave. You don’t want to rush a SR shave. :)

You don't really need much, in terms of expense, to get a good edge. You can chase the perfect edge and buy as many hones as you want but it's not necessary for a good shave.

As someone mentioned, if you get stropping down and use a little paste every now and then you can go months just with the paste.

If you don't use paste you can use an inexpensive 1k, smaller 4k and 8k and a cut down 12k as well. Spending a lot more money doesn't really do much for the edge. It might do more for your enjoyment with the honing process but that's about it.

That's sometimes hard to pick up on from reading posts in a shaving forum where everyone is so passionate about their hobby. :)

if sunday goes well with a complete shave.........I'll most likely go naniwa 12k from maggards.

the strop i have now is cheap but will work for now and I won't be too upset if I jack it up. ill get some time in...... then get a Miller strop.

camo

if sunday goes well with a complete shave.........I'll most likely go naniwa 12k from maggards.

the strop i have now is cheap but will work for now and I won't be too upset if I jack it up. ill get some time in...... then get a Miller strop.

camo

If you are happy with the edges on the razors now then ask what they were finished with as an idea of what you prefer.

If you are happy with the edges on the razors now then ask what they were finished with as an idea of what you prefer.

will do.......bought off the big site. I'm honestly surprised it arrived in that well of a condition. he has quite a few razors ranging to a llot of diff. prices. another one id love to have but I'm going to refrain and get to know the ones I have now.

I'm biased but will always be partial to the one I ran a first run on........but then again ya never know!!!

camo

said that it was finished on a natural stone......but did not know what the stone was.

looking forward to Sunday and making some decisions.

camo

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
new to SR's.....

have two torreys.....one lands today. the other is off being honed until I decide if I want to invest any more into this. i already have a strop. holding off on a 12k stone until I know for sure.

1. what type/typical shave is expected from SR shaving? DFS, CCS, BBS? I realize that some of this will change as experience is gained.

2. I assume running thinner lather with good slickness is king?

3. how many pitfalls should I expect? throw in the towel or keep at it blood be damned.

I love my GEM razors......and will always stick with my collection. I still love my muhle R103. but I ain't gonna lie, SR's obviously have a mystique about them and are of historical importance.

thanks all for your thoughts on this.

camo
I generally get 90% bbs on a two pass shave so they are quite capable of as good or better shave than any DE. Most importantly, a straight is much kinder to the face once you become proficient. Just keep at it as it does take a fair bit of experience to get the most out of it and is worth the effort in the end. If, however, you give up on it you won’t regret it because you will never know what you missed.

Top Bottom