What's new

Expansionbands

Does anyone still wear a watch with an expansion band like Speidel Twist-o-Flex or Rowi Fixoflex? I get the impression that meanwhile most men have either leather watchbands or stainless steel bracelets.

My Father's watch has an expansion bracelet. Never cared for them when I wore a watch. Always snagging the hair on my wrist/arm.

I have an Apple Watch with a Speidel Twist-o-flex watchband on it. Very convenient and it stays in place.

my grandfather had them. I'd never wear one because I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, and the thought of them pinching/pulling hair is a non-starter.

I have many different watch bands, almost every style made but not a single twist-o-flex. Over the summer I thought about buying one and found a few cheap ones on e-bay but was not sure what to order. What would actually work well without sagging or stretching.

I was thinking that perhaps this style would work better than most other styles in hot and sweaty conditions? I have worn rubber/silicone, perlon/nato, and metal bracelets in the heat and they each can work pretty well with different tradeoffs. But in excessive heat (like when exercising and/or no air conditioning) I have wondered whether or not the extra stretch of a well adjusted flex bracelet might be better? The individual links are fairly short to allow for optimal sizing when living at 68-74F temperature, while some stretch might then allow for a comfortable fit when it is 90F+ and exercising??

I do think expansion bands have an old-fashioned look to them, which can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. But when considering the functionality they seem ideal. With a metal bracelet it is difficult to find a single sizing that works in all conditions, so I usually remove it and never put it back on the watch. Leather is most comfortable but not ideal for water/sweat.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
my grandfather had them. I'd never wear one because I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, and the thought of them pinching/pulling hair is a non-starter.
x2
Interesting to see apple bringing it back though. In addition to leather and stainless is the nato strap.

NATO/Zulu straps, rubber/silicone dive straps... watch style/design dependent.

I prefer steel/metal bracelets, especially a dive strap with an expansion clasp to wear over a glove. otherwise, I prefer Nato styled straps. I'm least likely to wear a leather strap, especially in hot weather where sweating would/could be involved. I have put leather straps on watches for more formal events if they didn't have steel bracelets.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am not a fan. I have some second hand watches that I bought that have them on them. I can see the sense in them working around machinery etc. But the few times that I did wear the watches it did catch the hair of my arms. I do remember years ago Uncles wearing them on their watches.

Top Bottom