What's new

Exfoliate that mug!

I think what the OP and dermatologist are referring to is exfoliation on the level at which someone would actually pay for or that is sufficient enough to cause obvious outward appearance change. Say an exfoliating product, spa or dermatologist. Something “measurable” so to speak. I’m sure if you break it down to the technical level of whether or not skin cells are being removed by the brush, yes, technically it would be considered exfoliating. But in much the same way as running a dry towel over your face. Let’s not forget, exfoliation in terms of what we’re referring to, is a cosmetic procedure. Its purpose is simply to remove enough dead skin to visibly improve the look and feel of our skin. The only way this is done is with friction or some kind of stripping chemical; hence why all exfoliating products contain some kind of abrasive material or caustic chemical. Shave soap by nature is made to eliminate friction so it makes perfect sense that by dousing even an abrasive brush in slick lather, it’s going to almost entirely eliminate the exfoliating properties of the brush. Which is most likely why the OP’s dermatologist laughed at the idea of brush lathering being exfoliating.

Good points. Lady Fatboy - a make-up artist - tells me there are two types of exfoliants: 'Physical' and 'acid' as they are known in cosmetology or, more technically "mechanical" or "chemical".

Physical /mechanical exfoliants - scrub the skin with abrasives, various scrubs and / or sponges and brushes
Chemical / Acid - mostly using alpha hydroxy or beta hydroxy acids

Some methods also involve hair removal, as with us. So, it would seem that a brush meets that criterion, even given that a razor blade removes more skin.

Well, shut my mouth. When in doubt, ask the wife.

I'm just going to throw out that, if you are getting brush burn, you're pushing the brush into your face too hard. Doesn't matter what the knot is made out of. Just try to use the tips of the brush and make sure it is loaded up with lather.

What are you talking about. I exfoliate my face with my synthetic brush every other day. Here’s a picture of my brush. :001_tongu
upload_2019-2-15_21-38-56.png

Seriously though. Shaving brushes pretty much just cleans your face. Same if you use the shower sponge on your privates for too long(preparation for a date:302:), irritation will happen.

What are you talking about. I exfoliate my face with my synthetic brush every other day. Here’s a picture of my brush. :001_tongu
View attachment 953303
Seriously though. Shaving brushes pretty much just cleans your face. Same if you use the shower sponge on your privates for too long(preparation for a date:302:), irritation will happen.
LOL, what do you think that irritation is?

Removal of too much dermis!

Top Bottom