What's new

"Executive" Stereos

My one, strong recommendation would be the Kloss series by Tivoli Audio. I believe one of their models even has Sirius built in, but all of their Table Radios have Aux inputs. Its a tiny box with big sound and a classic (& quality) look and feel -- I've been nothing short of astounded by mine.

+1

They have very nice styling and there is a stereo version available. I'm actually looking at getting one for my bathroom.

Sorry to bump and older thread, but are those Tivoli Radios real wood or is it just a veneer? They look almost perfect for my new office but I'd slightly different finish than they offer. Which is no big deal if they are real wood.
Thanks
- Andrew

I'm pretty sure it's Veneer. Very few audio products use solid wood anymore. Reason is especially in speaker enclosures, verious kinds of wood can alter the sound in various ways....so the best option acoustically is use one type of fiberboard (MDF or HDF), and then apply veneer over them.

I wish they had a Cherry option myself....since I want to put a 3-peice system on my bookshelves at home, but the shelves are all a cherry stained wood.

I'm pretty sure it's Veneer. Very few audio products use solid wood anymore. Reason is especially in speaker enclosures, verious kinds of wood can alter the sound in various ways....so the best option acoustically is use one type of fiberboard (MDF or HDF), and then apply veneer over them.

I wish they had a Cherry option myself....since I want to put a 3-peice system on my bookshelves at home, but the shelves are all a cherry stained wood.

They do have a cherry option. However, it is natural cherry, which is a light colored wood. "Cherry" stain is the darker, red color that most of us think of when we think cherry.

Natural cherry wood is a fairly light wood: http://www.curlywoods.com/cherry.html

Over time and under exposure to sunlight is gets much, much darker to the point where a long-aged piece will get to what most of us think of is "cherry" This natural process can be accellerated with lye paste if desired.

However, most furniture makers stain the stuff dark for one big reason, to make inconsistent lumber stock more homogenous. With dwindling supplies, it is tough to get enough lumber from a single tree to make a piece of furniture. So they stain dark to make boards match.

Wait, did I get off-topic? I must be thinking of my weekend woodworking again :biggrin:

Cherry with a boiled linseed oil and beeswax finish is a favorite of mine.
Looks just right-:thumbup1:

Sorry to bump and older thread, but are those Tivoli Radios real wood or is it just a veneer? They look almost perfect for my new office but I'd slightly different finish than they offer. Which is no big deal if they are real wood.
Thanks
- Andrew

They have an actual hand-made furniture grade wood cabinet...not veneer. They also have a decent variety of finishes, including the new Platinum line which has a high gloss lacquer finish. You can check out the different finishes here if you haven't already:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php?cat=262

I'd guess those are still plywood, otherwise the boxes would resonate.

I have a Tivoli Model 2 right in front of me and it sure doesn't look like plywood, veneer, or any combo of the two. You can follow the grain right along the edges into the main surface area of the cabinet without interruption. Maybe Kloss has taken resonance into account in the design...he is famous for that kind of thing. Or maybe the interior of the cabinet is lined with the right stuff. I don't know. You could be right, but I can't tell by looking at it. :smile:

I don't know if it's still being made, but the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 is also designed by Henry Kloss, and is stereo. I have one in my office, and the sound is amazing, as is the reception.

+1 - The Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 is great! It's fairly inexpensive, as compared to the BOSE Acoustic Wave.

chop-chop

I have a Tivoli PAL that sounds great for its size...I keep it next to my computer...I can plug my ipod into...I also have my portable XM radio sitting next to it ..and since it has a built in transmitter in it I can also listen to it on the PAL...

I have a Tivoli Model 2 right in front of me and it sure doesn't look like plywood, veneer, or any combo of the two. You can follow the grain right along the edges into the main surface area of the cabinet without interruption. Maybe Kloss has taken resonance into account in the design...he is famous for that kind of thing. Or maybe the interior of the cabinet is lined with the right stuff. I don't know. You could be right, but I can't tell by looking at it. :smile:

Properly crafted, veneer is indistinguisable from a solid board. There is good veneer and Wal-mart cheap veneer. Below that is fake woodgrain. Veneer is the actual wood, just a really thin sheet of it.

I wouldn't be suprised if the box was MDF with a veneer for acoustical reasons.

Properly crafted, veneer is indistinguisable from a solid board. There is good veneer and Wal-mart cheap veneer. Below that is fake woodgrain. Veneer is the actual wood, just a really thin sheet of it.

You are probably right...it does speak to the quality of the unit if someone can't distinguish it.

Right. And the words "furniture grade" do not mean that it isn't plywood. It just implies a good quality veneer.

There was an episode of Dirty Jobs that gave me a new respect for veneer. You can watch it here. At the end they turn it into furniture. I tried to find it on Google/Youtube but I've no idea which episode that is from.

Well then...it's sure is a mighty nice furniture grade veneer sitting here in front of me! I really can't tell it isn't real!!! :smile:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
+1 - The Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 is great! It's fairly inexpensive, as compared to the BOSE Acoustic Wave.

chop-chop

I don't know if this is still accurate, but there was a time when Bose spent more money on advertising than all other "high end" audio producers combined.

Guess who winds up paying for that?

Yeah Bose's answer now is litigation against any review publication that talks badly of them.

Honestly, Bose is nice for aesthetic value, but there are far better that can be had for less.

I've been looking for a nice desktop radio for my wife so I was glad to see this thread evolve. I picked up the Tivoli Model One at Target today and I must say I'm impressed with the quality.

When I opened the box, the first sheet of paper I saw said:

"This cabinet features a real wood laminate." Guess it answers that question.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks
- Andrew

Mine looks so real and sounds so good I don't care if it is veneer, laminate, or solid oak.

+1

They have very nice styling and there is a stereo version available. I'm actually looking at getting one for my bathroom.

That would be awesome. Anyone would be honored to spend time in your bathroom after getting one of those.

It is a beautiful unit isn't it?

Ditto

I've been looking for a nice desktop radio for my wife so I was glad to see this thread evolve. I picked up the Tivoli Model One at Target today and I must say I'm impressed with the quality.

When I opened the box, the first sheet of paper I saw said:

This cabinet features a real wood laminate. Guess it answers that question.

Congratulations on the Model One. I've had mine in my office at work for about a year now and find it absolutely fantastic. Being in a steel reinforced concrete building I needed good reception, small size, simple controls and wanted great sound. The Model One fit the bill perfectly.

I got frustrated looking at new radios when it took me several minutes to figure out how to turn the thing on or adjust the volume. I had to have easy to use intuitive controls to turn down the volume quickly when answering the phone or when assisting anyone who comes in the door or my office. I also like the aux input to listen to CD's. My computer at work doesn't have speakers but it has a CD drive and audio out in the back, which now goes into the Model One.

Well, thanks to this thread I just picked up a Tivoli Model One this morning. Wow, this is one sharp little radio. Impressive sound quality, especially considering the size. I ended up getting the Walnut/Beige finish, but I think I'll put a glossy finish on the woodgrain before I move it to the office. Its just a touch on the plain side for me. I'd like it to look a bit more like the "Platinum" Model Ones, but I couldn't afford those right now. Also, I couldn't see paying an extra $80 for something I could do in my garage in less than an hour.

Top Bottom