What's new

"Executive" Stereos

Since semantics has entered this discussion: an audiophile is someone who "loves sound", but that term doesn't automatically mean that this person would only have the bestest possiblest equipment. So, what does "audiophile" vs. "non-audiophile" equipment really mean? Semantics, schmemantics.

I would say (careful, mantra coming up): get down to business, listen to some contenders within a comfortable price range in the setting the equipment is supposed to be in, make a quick decision and BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU GOT. One company charging $50 more for a similar product is nothing compared to the hours of research it might take to find a less expensive item.

If we wouldn't be so absorbed with finding the most "value" for the lowest "price", we could actually possibly enjoy life a bit more. After all, we are not making nearly as much fuss, it seems, about buying shaving equipment.

Mantra alert again: Time is "worth" so much more than a few bucks.

Crivens, I just wasted $25...

Best - MM

Well, now having set up the Tivoli Model One in my kitchen (morning espresso music) and my Cambridge Soundworks 88CD in my office, I can truly say that these are BOTH excellent units, in their own right(s).

The Tivoli is certainly more minimalistic with (IMO) the more sensitive tuner. While the 88CD sounds phenomenal with it's built-in subwoofer and ample power. Each will certainly have a place in my realm...

Not a single person walks in my office without commenting on how good the music sounds; followed by the obligatory "IS THAT A BOSE?" question.

Similarly - although it only has a single speaker, the model one is MORE than up to the task of filling our kitchen/dining area with RICH, albeit, non-stereo sound.

Either one could hold it's own to my Dad's Wave "music system" in sound quality. However, I really have to make note of how the Model One's diminutive size really allows it to "disappear" in the corner of our kitchen counter. I would happily move it to the shave den - but I think it would wake up the boys at 5am (as the bathroom shares a wall with their bedroom).

The BEST part is I purchased both of these units (used and pristine) via our favorite auction site, for less than the price of a Wave Radio II (sans CD player). :jump: :thumbsup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I must say, that having read the previous posts, I would now like to be referred to as the excellent one.

Sincerely,
Jackie Gleason

ouch

I concur. I would henceforth prefer to be called the excellent white shark.

Yours,
Greg Norman

ouch

Indeed. I'll have to insist that my symphony No. 9 in C major, D. 944 no longer be referred to as The Great.

Respectfully,
Franz Shubert

ouch

Dudes, what are you talking about? Everyone knows it's excellent!

Bill and Ted

ouch

Y'all mean to tell me I'm not the great American race?

The Daytona Speedway

ouch

I suppose I could live with the excellent communicator.

Ronald Reagan

ouch

We want to be best. We go with excellent now.

The former Great Wall of China

ouch

I'll be needing five million new license plates.

Your great lake state,
Michigan

ouch

I would like to invite you all to welcome in the new year this coming December 31st.

Broadway, the excellent white way

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I must say, that having read the previous posts, I would now like to be referred to as the excellent one.

Sincerely,
Jackie Gleason

+1

Wayne Gretzky

I concur. I would henceforth prefer to be called the excellent white shark.

Yours,
Greg Norman

Indeed. I'll have to insist that my symphony No. 9 in C major, D. 944 no longer be referred to as The Great.

Respectfully,
Franz Shubert

Dudes, what are you talking about? Everyone knows it's excellent!

Bill and Ted

Y'all mean to tell me I'm not the great American race?

The Daytona Speedway

I suppose I could live with the excellent communicator.

Ronald Reagan

We want to be best. We go with excellent now.

The former Great Wall of China

I'll be needing five million new license plates.

Your great lake state,
Michigan

I would like to invite you all to welcome in the new year this coming December 31st.

Broadway, the excellent white way

I must say you really put a lot into this. However, I can't help but point out that several of the "greats" you are referencing are a description of large size, not necessarily excellent quality. Others are a comparison reference. One can only be great in comparison to someone or something else. While excellent on the other hand does not always need a comparison. It is more of a description of perfection rather than a comparison. If there was only one radio brand out there with only two radios to chose from, one average and one with near perfect sound reproduction we would probably say the better one has excellent sound. Where as in the plethora of choices words like great and excellent get tossed about quite loosely by those who prefer one brand over another. Someone with a tin ear may think everything beyond a 1967 pocket transistor radio sounds excellent but his 1927 cathedral radio is great because it still works.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The included external antenna is only for FM and the toggle switch in the back is only related to the external FM antenna.

I can get an additional external antenna for the AM which I may try, however I found that turning the unit 45 degrees gets me a lot better AM reception... go figure. So I just kinda re-arranged my desk and moved the radio to a different location so that it doesn't look funny in that orientation.

That's pretty normal with most AM receivers. The AM antenna is wound on a ferrite rod inside the radio and is directional. The better/larger ones are usually more directional, which means they will receive more stations when properly oriented.

Top Bottom