What's new

Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution.

I haven't seen a thread yet started on this razor from Executive Shaving in collaboration with Alpha Shaving Works. I've been following Alpha and this project for a bit as I'm a fan of the ES Claymore V2 that was released 2-3 years back. Not the prettiest razor but, a very fine shaving razor it is with top notch cutting ability even for the toughest of beards. Well, this version the Evolution after many failed attempts by Executive Shaving in finding a local machine shop (Scotland) contracted Steve Tinter at Alpha and the race was on to produce a more contemporary version with a smaller and sleeker profile while still exhibiting the prior two Claymores cutting pedigree. It was finally released for sale yesterday and I was on it and purchased one. The razor, stand and pack of blades (Feather Pro) for $144.95 US. Not to bad for a SE made of 316 Stainless.

Just a week or 2, hopefully to have it in hand and giving it a proper going through and comparing it to the previous Claymore on how it matches up to it.

So, for anyone that has gone and acquired one and would like to post their thoughts and experiences with the Claymore Evolution, it would be great to share them here. Looking forward to those that do.

A couple pics of the razor until I receive the one that should be heading stateside shortly.....

P8310064.jpeg.jpg

P8310070.jpeg.jpg

P8310063.jpeg.jpg

P8310072.jpeg.jpg

I also ordered one when the pre-order went live, it's also shipped and on it's way to me from Hong Kong. Estimated delivery is Sep 22nd.

The only 2 other razors I own are the Blackland Vector and the General V2, I've sold off all DEs and the Sabre that I also had. I'm curious to see how the Evolution compares to the other 2 AC razors I've come to prefer.

I'll be watching this thread carefully to see what people think of this razor. I really like my Colonial General, Vector, Hawk V2 and SE1, and don't really need another AC razor, but on the other hand what did "need" ever have to do with it.
I did start a thread on the Claymore in the SE section a couple of months ago, but for some reason it got moved to shopping and deals. I did ask why, but received no answer.

Came in today ahead of scheduled delivery date. About 8 days total from China to New Jersey. Not bad at all if you ask me. The handle in the plastic bag is the optional handle. Both are quite good and feel very nice in hand. The packaging is more than adequate with the razor placed in a sort of felt type bag placed in a Bamboo cylindrical case. Minimal but, nicely done. Will get a shave in tomorrow with the Claymore Evo paired with a Feather Pro. Couple of pics below as I tried to show a bit of the blade reveal & gap. Not the best but, it gives an idea to those interested……

CD2E87E1-18AC-423D-96DF-59BB6002B0F0.jpeg

6423AB33-C7C5-418A-9515-67E940B33DE1.jpeg

EB288CE2-7B43-4439-89F7-61A8EB35C0F5.jpeg

99EE8B1F-826D-42FE-81A3-699EDB096E15.jpeg

743F73F0-EC0E-40E4-B315-8DBA615A2D3E.jpeg

8F17EA17-9AEC-406A-8432-2844E7DE4A85.jpeg

B2676C5A-DB3F-4657-971A-01CE2F6588F4.jpeg

8CD42ED4-2FE8-4F98-9E01-3638A907FAC7.jpeg

Just got my first shave in with the Claymore Evolution about 45 minutes ago and just wanted to do a quick write up while the thought and first impression was still fresh in my mind. The pics above tell of a pretty good kit though, upon a closer look there was a slight issue with the top cap edge being completely parallel with the blade. There is a slight deviation from one end to the other (if you look at my previous post and look at the 7th pic down, you will see the discrepancy that I’m trying to describe here just above the blade to the right of the razor head from your perspective) that at first I thought was just my eyes playing tricks on me. But, upon looking at it further, there is a slight chamfer and the gap is slightly bigger from mid point on as it sits atop the blade fully tightened. I thought that this issue would have something to say once the shave began to more or less of blade feel but, if there was one, I didn’t feel or perceive the slightest of differences during my 3 pass shave that brought about a first rate BBS finish.

For a first time out it was a very enjoyable shave with just 3-4 weepers and that I attribute to just getting the razor down and accustomed to the shave angle that it requires for my particular technique. The shave angle is easy to get and maintain with a bit of blade feel but, nothing like the Claymore V2 which has reveal and exposure galore. The Evolution is much more toned down in that aspect and actually gives a smoother and softer feel on the skin. Yet it still cut the whiskers effectively without any of the potential harshness that the Claymore V2 had exhibited especially with any of the Feather blades installed. This feels closer to an IKON MR-SE than it does to the Claymore V2, only slightly smoother and a bit more forgiving if memory serves me well. The razor has some heft but, does feel well balanced and showed better than average maneuverability (I’ve been forever ruined with the nimbleness of the Vector) though the extra weight helped in keeping pressure to a minimum. The grip and feel is excellent rivaling some of the best out there in the handle knurling department. Handle attachment to the top cap stud is smooth and nearly effortless.

All in all it was a very good first outing with the Claymore Evolution sans the minor issue with the top cap not being grade A machined. For the price though and overall quality of the kit, it’s a wash.

A couple more shaves with the Feather then on to a Schick Proline…..

*Edit: On a side note. I did try a Feather Super, Kai Captain, Kai Pink & Kai ProTouch Guarded and no luck. At least in this Claymore they do not fit over the blade holding studs. Just to let you know if you’re not a Feather AC blade fan, the only other maker that will fit is the Schick Proline.

A46C82BB-B015-4FFF-8F33-DAE80FA3B7F6.jpeg

Early morning shave and #2 with the Claymore Evolution. Used the same Feather Pro that cut down 2 days growth yesterday and prepped up for just barely a days worth. Stubble was light that’s how close the shave was but, just enough there today to get two passes in, basically an ATG pass with an extended buff and straggler pick ups to finish off. The Evo & Feather did it well with a smooth feel without any incident. This razor really excels in the ATG pass and just made short work of the stubble present. Back to a smooth BBS state with no weepers or irritation to speak of.

I’d like to mention that there is the slightest of play between the top cap & base plate when first getting them together that I failed to mention in my first shave report. Barely noticeable but, it is there. I simply just hold the cap and base together while putting a bit of pressure to keep the blade aligned within the head while tightening down the handle and securing the whole unit. Nothing crazy say like, the IKON “El Jefe” but, just wanted to note the tiny discrepancy.

The top cap still did not release any negative feel or create any cause for concern as the minor top cap edge variance gave no inkling of imminent danger during the shave. Nice, smooth and efficient……

3C73BD77-18CC-4035-AF50-FBDBD899744E.jpeg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Early morning shave and #2 with the Claymore Evolution. Used the same Feather Pro that cut down 2 days growth yesterday and prepped up for just barely a days worth. Stubble was light that’s how close the shave was but, just enough there today to get two passes in, basically an ATG pass with an extended buff and straggler pick ups to finish off. The Evo & Feather did it well with a smooth feel without any incident. This razor really excels in the ATG pass and just made short work of the stubble present. Back to a smooth BBS state with no weepers or irritation to speak of.

I’d like to mention that there is the slightest of play between the top cap & base plate when first getting them together that I failed to mention in my first shave report. Barely noticeable but, it is there. I simply just hold the cap and base together while putting a bit of pressure to keep the blade aligned within the head while tightening down the handle and securing the whole unit. Nothing crazy say like, the IKON “El Jefe” but, just wanted to note the tiny discrepancy.

The top cap still did not release any negative feel or create any cause for concern as the minor top cap edge variance gave no inkling of imminent danger during the shave. Nice, smooth and efficient……

View attachment 1326926
Looks like a good way to start your day Gus 👍

There are a lot of complaints coming in the EU shaving forums. Exactly what GlazedBoker wrote, many blades don't fit. But they are willing to change the faulty part.

Late shave yesterday evening and had no time to post last night with the storm that hit here in the Garden State.

Anyways, shave #3 was nothing extraordinary or mindblowing. Just a real nice solid 3 pass shave without incident. The Feather Po behaves quite nicely in the Evo with no harsh feeling nor giving one the tendency that it can potentially bite. It's smooth and easy on the skin and deceptively efficient.

Next shave I'll be moving onto the Schick Proline just to see if it shaves as efficiently as the Pro as I know that the Proline is considered to be one of the smoothest feeling AC blades in the business....

4FF4A7D7-1.jpg

Finally got to try the Schick Proline & Claymore Evolution in tonight’s shave. Short version is that it was an extremely smooth and very comfortable 3 pass shave that yielded a near BBS finish all around (around the Adam’s Apple and just right under the chin a few stragglers were detected after I had cleaned up). Face, jawline and everywhere else on my neck was whisker free. Two tiny weepers along the left side of the sideburn but, no irritation or discomfort whatsoever. Blade feel was very minimal but, the whiskers were being substantially reduced with each pass. Definitely a smoother feeling shave than with the Feather and I actually stopped once just to make sure that the blade was still in the razor. Really a stunningly smooth yet efficient shave with the Proline. It’s a shame that a few that purchased this razor can’t use the Schick in the Claymore Evo. It really is an excellent combo in my estimation. Few more shaves to really dial it in.

Great shaves to all….

CFC60BBF-EB2B-4279-93A2-02F856DC3992.jpeg

Finally got to try the Schick Proline & Claymore Evolution in tonight’s shave. Short version is that it was an extremely smooth and very comfortable 3 pass shave that yielded a near BBS finish all around (around the Adam’s Apple and just right under the chin a few stragglers were detected after I had cleaned up). Face, jawline and everywhere else on my neck was whisker free. Two tiny weepers along the left side of the sideburn but, no irritation or discomfort whatsoever. Blade feel was very minimal but, the whiskers were being substantially reduced with each pass. Definitely a smoother feeling shave than with the Feather and I actually stopped once just to make sure that the blade was still in the razor. Really a stunningly smooth yet efficient shave with the Proline. It’s a shame that a few that purchased this razor can’t use the Schick in the Claymore Evo. It really is an excellent combo in my estimation. Few more shaves to really dial it in.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1329442
i had one of the ones that would,nt accept the prolines and a bit of work with a needle file on the posts sorted that out hope that helps anyone with problems.

With 3 days growth the Claymore Evo and Schick Proline made real easy work for this mornings shave. A really smooth and effortless shave that was completed in 3 passes with a couple of extra strokes to clean up around the Adam’s Apple area. A BBS finish all around without any mishaps or irritation to be felt or mentioned. Perhaps the best feeling shave in terms of ease of feel, smoothness and great comfort. Great shave, period……

9F238F9E-04D8-4E7C-B9BB-9BF087EC5B99.jpeg

i had one of the ones that would,nt accept the prolines and a bit of work with a needle file on the posts sorted that out hope that helps anyone with problems.
Wait... $150 for a razor and you need to use a file on it to get it to accept certain blades? That is a hard pass and the Mfg'r should recall all the ones that are bad and re-work or replace them at his cost!! Just one's opinion...

I got the executive shaving claymore evolution last week. 1st shave was with a schick proline. Have to say I was very pleased with the shave. Only other SE razor I have is a vector. I found the schick proline fit on the posts but was a little tight to remove post shave. The shave was smooth and I liked the amount of blade feel.

A solid shave with really good face feel that was smooth and nicely efficient. Again paired with a Schick Proline and it made real short work of a days growth. No irritation, nics, cuts or weepers to mention. Haven’t shaved with it in a while but, the angle was as easy to get and felt second nature. Good razor, honestly….

Great shaves to all….
9C667615-C1A0-4760-B99F-0CD41D1E8534.jpeg

Hey B&Bers - it's been quite some time since I've been active in the forum. Last post was in 2015 apparently. I've been away from all the excitement of new razors being released, but I've still been quietly shaving with the lifetime's worth of equipment and products I had previously acquired. I've somewhat been peeking at some of new AC razors being released but not giving them much thought until recently. Well for some reason, I'm again interested in what's new in wet shaving.

I picked up a Claymore from a very nice seller on the BST recently and I have to say that I'm quite pleased with this razor! The AC razors that have worked best for me in the past have been the original Cobra and the Enoch which are generally considered "aggressive." I've had a couple of shaves with a Feather Pro on the Claymore and while the shave didn't feel as smooth as I was hoping, the results were wonderful! I don't really consider this to be such an aggressive razor, but it's really a nice piece of kit! I need to try some different blades that fit, but my initial impressions are really positive. Fit and finish is outstanding and I've had no issues fitting the Feather Pro as I've read other have had.

I'm finding that most of these newer AC razors do not fit the Dorco blades which is disappointing as that blade has worked very well for me, but ce la vie. The flip side of that is that many are fitting the Schick P-30 proline blade which is a new to me blade that I've been hearing rave reviews about.

I'm still wanting to pick up a Vector out of curiosity more than anything, but until I can find a SS one for sale I've got plenty of AC trial and errors ahead of me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This is an older thread but I'm assuming all the initial Claymore Evo users have had the blade issues addressed. I got mine from Executive Shaving Co in the middle of February and it will handle the Feather offerings, the Schick Proline P-30 and the various Kai AC blades. I love mine... so simple to use. The learning curve was short, not a protracted long journey.

Top Bottom