What's new

Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution.

Tried out my Claymore today for the first time and wow what a shave it was.

For me it felt very efficent as it gave a close shave on the WTG pass compared to my other razors. At certain points on my face I could jump straight to the ATG pass after. It really shined on my chin, which is a hard spot for me to shave often, the razor just removed the growth there without any effort.

I have to learn to dial it in a bit more, but the design made it simple to find a good angle. An interesting obersvation for me was that it had a bit more blade feel compared to what I'm used too, even with the feather proguard blade. But this could also be due to the fact that I'm trying to dial it in. On the right and left side of my face I got a little red from it, but this disappeared almost instantly after I was done shaving.

I'm uncertain if this was due to the blade or the angle, since the proguard felt perhaps a little rough due to the protection they got by design. I'm curious to see how a feather professional or a kai functions in the razor.

I noticed 3 spots that started to bleed. Two of these was close to my chin, and one particular issue for me here is that I often get a pimple from that. But this wasn't the case with the Claymore. I ended up using my Shick L1 for some light touch up here and there and I felt nothing from the shave with the Claymore at those spots.

My neck, as usual however, is the main challenge as it is with all my razors. So I hope that an adjustment of the angle here will give me a much closer shave the next time.

For me the razor felt like a more efficent Shick L1, in the sense that it was efficent yet smooth. And it certainly shaved different than my Supply V2 with a 3 dots plate. Just to compare it a bit to other razors that I have.

The design of the handle felt like it had purpose when I had to switch from pointing the razor up or down. The weight was very ideal and helped to prevent me from using pressure. Which always is a benefit in my book. The only challenge at times was to get more used to only using parts of the blade on certain points of my face. Due to AC blade size. But I'm certain this will come with time.

The extra fees related to customs was certainly worth it when the razor functions this way. And I sort of wonder why I didnt get this sooner. To each their own of course, but the extra cost for the AC blades are certainly worth it for me, if the razor keeps delivering the same results as now. With the added benefits that I can buy feather AC blades from webstores in Norway, rather than buying and getting them shipped from other countries. Which I have to do with GEM and injector razor blades.
Proguard blades are really designed for artist club straight razors, to take away the risk of a bad slice or cut. For SE safety razors like the Claymore I don’t see any need to use a guarded blade - the blade is guarded by the safety bar. I don’t know if a Proguard blade would cause irritation, but it surely must reduce the efficiency a little.

Just a guess but I wonder if the small amount of irritation you got was due to too much pressure. The Claymore is a good deal heavier than the other razors you referenced, so maybe you just need to concentrate on using a lighter touch, as well as getting used to the angle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Tried out my Claymore today for the first time and wow what a shave it was.

For me it felt very efficent as it gave a close shave on the WTG pass compared to my other razors. At certain points on my face I could jump straight to the ATG pass after. It really shined on my chin, which is a hard spot for me to shave often, the razor just removed the growth there without any effort.

I have to learn to dial it in a bit more, but the design made it simple to find a good angle. An interesting obersvation for me was that it had a bit more blade feel compared to what I'm used too, even with the feather proguard blade. But this could also be due to the fact that I'm trying to dial it in. On the right and left side of my face I got a little red from it, but this disappeared almost instantly after I was done shaving.

I'm uncertain if this was due to the blade or the angle, since the proguard felt perhaps a little rough due to the protection they got by design. I'm curious to see how a feather professional or a kai functions in the razor.

I noticed 3 spots that started to bleed. Two of these was close to my chin, and one particular issue for me here is that I often get a pimple from that. But this wasn't the case with the Claymore. I ended up using my Shick L1 for some light touch up here and there and I felt nothing from the shave with the Claymore at those spots.

My neck, as usual however, is the main challenge as it is with all my razors. So I hope that an adjustment of the angle here will give me a much closer shave the next time.

For me the razor felt like a more efficent Shick L1, in the sense that it was efficent yet smooth. And it certainly shaved different than my Supply V2 with a 3 dots plate. Just to compare it a bit to other razors that I have.

The design of the handle felt like it had purpose when I had to switch from pointing the razor up or down. The weight was very ideal and helped to prevent me from using pressure. Which always is a benefit in my book. The only challenge at times was to get more used to only using parts of the blade on certain points of my face. Due to AC blade size. But I'm certain this will come with time.

The extra fees related to customs was certainly worth it when the razor functions this way. And I sort of wonder why I didnt get this sooner. To each their own of course, but the extra cost for the AC blades are certainly worth it for me, if the razor keeps delivering the same results as now. With the added benefits that I can buy feather AC blades from webstores in Norway, rather than buying and getting them shipped from other countries. Which I have to do with GEM and injector razor blades.
I had similar results right from the beginning too. I had red cheeks too the very first time but that was it. I'm still a bit unsure what that's about. The longer or wider blade length (50mm) took a couple shaves to adapt to. I had a few nicks on some bumps because I didn't know where the blade was... add to that, I was coming from cartridge shaving where pressure didn't matter as much.

But all said, the Claymore Evo is just a perfect fit for me. I've really only seen one person on B&B who hasn't enjoyed it. It's sort of nice having a tool that works so well for me. I've been using it exclusively since Feb. 18th. As I've mentioned several times, we've become close friends.

Edit 1.: I tried most of the AC blades and though it doesn't make any sense.... the guarded blades work better for me, both from Feather and Kai Captain. They last longer and are smoother. Again, I realize, this is counter intuitive. The Schick Proline blades which so many people like just didn't work for me. They were rough from the beginning and didn't improve. Add to that, they were done by the third shave. I get 6 from the guarded blades.

I will use up all the other blades eventually. Perhaps, because my technique has improved, I'll have different results the next time around.

Did a night shave after work today using the Claymore and a feather pro. Compared to the proguard I noticed that the pro got closer on the first pass, which was not really a surprise. Other than that I didn't find that much difference on the blades. Perhaps the pro was a bit milder, due to the fact that it did not have the "rails" that the proguard uses.

I was a tiny bit concerned about the fact that I had a big mosquito bite on my cheek, but I got no cuts on it. So the razor proves once again that it is friendly on that front.

Could have aimed for a closer shave on some spots, but I attribute this to fatigue and the fact that I often aim for a fast shave during the weekdays. And went the easy route by doing touch ups with my injector.

I did nick myself, but honestly, some parts of my face is so prone to it. But once it dried I can't see any sign on my face that I had one to begin with. Though fatigue could be to blame for this as well for this shave.

What I did notice was this however: Compared to the proguard, the pro didn't leave any redness on the areas I mentioned before. So I'm curious if the same thing happens during my next shave with the proguard. Since I'll admit that I was testing another type of prep during my proguard shave, which I started to test with my injector before I got the Claymore.

But so far, I think I could settle for either of these two blades. Cant wait to give some captain kai blades a try.

A really good shave this morning. Not that other previous shaves with the EVO weren’t good because, they were just as good if not better. The Claymore EVO just delivers consistently good shaves that are easy on the skin and yet vicious on the whiskers. Feels robust yet nicely balanced and a smoothness with comfort that gives it excellent shave pedigree for any type of skin & user. I can’t say enough on how good this razor performs and the makers ability to create a razor that is comfortable and still be efficient in removing whiskers. Excellent razor and design from Alpha.

FC4B3651-4E47-45C3-9A1E-C05116D907F7.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
A really good shave this morning. Not that other previous shaves with the EVO weren’t good because, they were just as good if not better. The Claymore EVO just delivers consistently good shaves that are easy on the skin and yet vicious on the whiskers. Feels robust yet nicely balanced and a smoothness with comfort that gives it excellent shave pedigree for any type of skin & user. I can’t say enough on how good this razor performs and the makers ability to create a razor that is comfortable and still be efficient in removing whiskers. Excellent razor and design from Alpha.

View attachment 1544163
I've really been enjoying my Claymore Evolution. :001_smile

Picked up a polished Evo when Alpha had their 50% off site wide sale a couple weeks back and it came in yesterday. My first Evo was of the matte finish and it performed as good as any other SE I’ve used in the AC format. Unfortunately, I’ve only been able to experience the Evo with just two particular blades. The Feather Pro & the Schick Prolines as my razor was one of the early ones from the first release that would not accept all of the blades. I never sent it back as I felt it wasn’t necessary as the Evo with its shortcomings still delivered fabulous shaves.

Well, as you can see from the pic below, I installed a Feather Pro Super (one of my favorite if not most favorite blade in the AC format) and it was a superb, superb shave. For those that don’t know and those that do, I don’t mind a bit of blade feel in my shave and have come accustomed to blade forward designed razors. The Asylum V1 was an exceptionally blade forward design that really needed one to dot their i’s and cross their t’s in using it as well as another favorite of mine the Ikon El Jefe. When used with proper technique & care, there weren’t many razors in all of shave kingdom that could equal that feel and performance.

Here, the Claymore Evo does not come close to those two legendary razors in feel but, in performance it’s lockstep with those aforementioned two with a much easier feel on the skin and nearly as smooth performing as if a Proline were installed. Only other razor that I think comes close if not surpassing it is the Vector from Blackland. Though the Vector is more nimble in hand and such an easy razor to maneuver anywhere on one’s face, the Claymore Evo is no slouch. It does feel more robust and substantial yet, there is an excellent balance with the razor in hand. I think that my Brass General is just a tiny bit smoother than the Evo but, it’s not by much. And the Brass General is my favorite AC styled razor of all time and is in my top 3 favorites regardless of blade format. The Claymore Evo is in good company. Easier than either of the Rx & El Jefe and right there with the Vector & Brass General in efficiency with combined smoothness.

Just a fantastic performing razor with a Feather Pro Super installed. Great shaves to all…

26F87B9F-B5F5-442A-AE23-5229CD23C041.jpeg

Last edited:
Claymore Evo paired with a Schick Proline. Then, brought in Lisa’s Florida Freeze for a proper cool down with Chiseled Face Cryogen to seal the deal. I’ll be upfront about the Claymore Evolution, this is one of the more underrated AC styled razors on the market. Smooth operator that still carries a deceptively efficient shaver with not a lot of blade feel. Kudos to Alpha for melding both worlds of the shave horizon by giving potential shavers a no compromise shaver that delivers on both fronts Of the spectrum. Smooth and yet efficient that is not an easy task to accomplish. The Vector by Blackland still gives the more efficient performing shave with a nimbleness to it that is practically unmatched in the AC SE world but, it can also give you a quick bite as there is a bit more blade reveal with the Vector over the Claymore Evo. The Evo has a friendlier feel about it and can still handle the whiskers with comfortable ease.

I’d still take the Vector over the Evo if I needed an all out give me the best shave I need right now. Still, the Claymore Evolution isn’t that far behind and it gives great value vs performance ratio. It can arguably be an easy everyday shaver without blinking an eye. I know it could work for me.

43442243-10C2-4BAE-A592-DBCA17278563.jpeg

I had my first shave with the Claymore Evo. It was quite good. While I bet I am using less than half the blade most of the time, the rigidity of the AC blade is nice. That gives a feeling of confidence, even though this was my first outing with it, it was comfortable and I didn't hesitate.

That chunky handle looks terrific, but it doesn't need to be that heavy. I used a Razorock titanium Halo handle and that felt better to me. Are others using a lighter handle?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That chunky handle looks terrific, but it doesn't need to be that heavy. I used a Razorock titanium Halo handle and that felt better to me. Are others using a lighter handle?
I'm using a Timeless Ti Crown handle with mine.... as I often do. I don't like heavy handles... Some people love them, but not me.

I'm trying a Ti Crown tomorrow :)

I just noticed, the post on my Claymore Evo is longer than the hole in the Ti Crown, so I need to add a washer. No problem at all, but just interesting that the post is relatively long.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One of my M5 nylon washers fits perfectly in the milled out recess in the Claymore Evo base plate so I didn't even notice the post was too long for the female threaded hole in the Ti Crown handle.

I'm a few shaves in and trying to tune the Claymore Evo. I assume like most SEs, it should be used shallow. Any other tips to get the most out of this razor?

Top Bottom