What's new

Excess Lather

Ever wonder if there's any use for that almost full bowl of perfectly good lather remaining after a great shave, as you rinse it down the drain?

I had just whipped up a blend of creams to see if I could improve on my Cremogena, and hit upon a fantastic blend. I had already shaved earlier in the day, and it seemed to be a waste to just dump it, so I let it sit in a covered bowl overnite. It breaks down overnite, water separating out, but it also whips back up with a vengeance with a lightly damp brush. I don't leave it in the kitchen next to the block of cheese, or next to the laundry bin of musty gym socks, nor out on the sidewalk, so I'm not overly concerned with creating some overnite nasty fungal overgrowth. I also don't plan on storing it on the shelf for days or weeks, either. Just overnite - and it whipped up maybe even fluffier than the original previous days' lather.

For the spendy prices some pay for their favorite suds, it seems foolish to just discard a goodly quantity remaining after the morning shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ever wonder if there's any use for that almost full bowl of perfectly good lather remaining after a great shave, as you rinse it down the drain?

I had just whipped up a blend of creams to see if I could improve on my Cremogena, and hit upon a fantastic blend. I had already shaved earlier in the day, and it seemed to be a waste to just dump it, so I let it sit in a covered bowl overnite. It breaks down overnite, water separating out, but it also whips back up with a vengeance with a lightly damp brush. I don't leave it in the kitchen next to the block of cheese, or next to the laundry bin of musty gym socks, nor out on the sidewalk, so I'm not overly concerned with creating some overnite nasty fungal overgrowth. I also don't plan on storing it on the shelf for days or weeks, either. Just overnite - and it whipped up maybe even fluffier than the original previous days' lather.

For the spendy prices some pay for their favorite suds, it seems foolish to just discard a goodly quantity remaining after the morning shave.
Same here but not to husband the excess but I got really tired of cleaning the damn bowl. My rice bowl is dark blue and the dried scum looks rather artsy.

I'm exclusively a face-latherer, so I usually don't have large excesses of lather at the end of a shave. However, I have a mug containing a puck of Williams that I sometimes squeeze the remaining lather into.

Once in a while, you get some really interesting fragrance combos.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I normally shower after shaving so rub any excess lather into my face, scalp, and body and leave for a few minutes before showering. After all it contains a load of great skin conditioning elements. As an even better alternative, rub it into the body of your wife or partner. Works for me, and us. 👍

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Some really interesting ideas on this thread....never occurred to me to save the excess lather for later....or to use it in ummm, unconventional ways.

If youre using a bowl, you could always just squeeze the excess lather out of your brush and put it back in the bowl. It will dry out by your next shave but you could always rehydrate it and use it again.
I dont because you are looking at saving tenths or hundreths of a penny in each shave but if you really want to, you can do it.

I’m always shocked when I see these photos of lather in bowls that could be used for a dozen people. This is why I don’t post photos of my lather. I seem to use a minuscule amount of soap compared.
idk

I have 6 pass per shave, head and face, so I always seem to over load pretty much any soap. I can say though that my lathers always seem to be better this way than when I try to load just enough to get the job done.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

No one has mentioned the latest bizarre trend in housecleaning yet?

Before:
toi-1.jpg

After:
toi-2.jpg

For body wash it is ok as a reuse but in general for shampoo it is not since it makes hair open and soft for cutting. A conditioner might fix that.
hmmmm never thought of doing the entire shower/sauna with it (no nice gf available nor an air bed for that tempting slip n slide). Still it is turning pennies.... maybe easier to cut a smaller piece with the butter knife

I've been trying to figure that out as well. Except I've been attacking the problem from the other side. I have a full beard, so I'm just shaving my cheekbones and throat up to one finger past the Adams apple. That's not really a lot of lather needed, even lathering again after each change of direction (WTG to AGT to whatever). So I've been trying to "run out"? during shaving.

I face lather, squeeze the excess into a bowl, and bowl lather with it some weekends. No particular reason, just like messing with the bowl every so often. Works fine.

Those who have loads of lather left, probably have soft water. Just load for less time.
I've hard water and even with chubby 3, have enough for 2 or 3 passes. I then squeeze the brush and use this on my face, using fingers to feel what stubble is left. No lather left.

if anything - i squeeze out the brush and wash my face, also feeling for stubble and as a first step of brush cleaning.

if anything - i squeeze out the brush and wash my face, also feeling for stubble and as a first step of brush cleaning.

Yeah. I squeeze out the excess, apply it to my face and leave it on during cleanup. I figure the ingredients add moisturizing properties to my face.

Top Bottom