What's new

Excelsior question

I've scored a Gillette Excelsior, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I need a replacement razor for the Made in USA that is split 99% of the way. I don't know my OTs /Ball Ends like I should, though, so I need your help.

This Excelsior is clearly Made in England (I don't have a shipper but I've seen one), I'm dating it ~1920 like the similar-cased Bull Dogs, the Ball End is probably correct (I'm going with the majority of discoveries here), but is the MinUSA correct or were there British Ball Ends for the era?

proxy.php

R

romsitsa

The case was introduced with the civilian Bulldog. All sets containing a Bulldog were called “Bulldog”, so I suspect the Excelsior contained another razor. Usually ball end razors came in “flat” cases with the razor disassembled, so I further suspect the Excelsior contained a Single ring.
The second British factory was opened around 1921, so if the razor was really British made, it should be a no serial razor, imho a Made in England marked Single ring.
Confusing thing is there were Canadaian pocket sets, from around 1918,sent to England that had shippers stating made in England. So it’s hard to determine what exactly “Razor and case made in England” meant.

Adam

What's confusing me are the 5 sets I've seen - 4 ball ends and 1 SR - and that means absolutely nada, especially since only 1 of the ball ends has the 'Made in USA' visible. I'm inclined to go with the majority, but that is not a very scientific method. I do appreciate for help!

I also found one of those recently in the UK. Same configuration, except for the razor is MiC.
I have a seen a few MiC sold in UK in sets from the same era, including Pocket ones.

Top Bottom