What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Eddison with 10 shaves got retired yesterday. Excellent blade with good longevity and sharpness till the end. And then it suddenly drops and I got a sensitive skin feel from it. Not ensuring results per shave by the way, but just a very nice smooth blade.

Currently working on a PermaSharp going on 10 shaves tomorrow. Harsh during neck passes but other than that a good blade. I still think I will rewrite it after tomorrow.

So far I have found that patting the blade dry rather than wiping preserves the edge better (duh…but new to me) as well as slick lather with short shaving strokes.

This year will be about dialling on lathering consistency for blade preservation. Amping up on scientific lathering!!

Do you have multiple razors? Which ones are working best with that blade right now?
Very cool, man!
90% of my shaves are with a Gillette early post war Tech, skinny ball handle. For some reason I get more efficient shaves with this mild razor. I have another tech from the same era, fat handle, and my shaves are not quite as good with it (balance? weight? or??). Every once in awhile I will use my Gillette New LC. It is almost as good as the Tech, but not quite. The New and Fat handle shave about the same. But the New is more enjoyable to shave with.

I just finished shave 244, and the blade is still working for me!

90% of my shaves are with a Gillette early post war Tech, skinny ball handle. For some reason I get more efficient shaves with this mild razor. I have another tech from the same era, fat handle, and my shaves are not quite as good with it (balance? weight? or??). Every once in awhile I will use my Gillette New LC. It is almost as good as the Tech, but not quite. The New and Fat handle shave about the same. But the New is more enjoyable to shave with.

I just finished shave 244, and the blade is still working for me!
I also really enjoy putting a Feather in a Tech. It's very comfortable, but also very effective. The tech has a lot better close-to-edge blade support than many other razors, esp the DE89,R89, Merkur types, whick lack support from the bottom.

I also really enjoy putting a Feather in a Tech. It's very comfortable, but also very effective. The tech has a lot better close-to-edge blade support than many other razors, esp the DE89,R89, Merkur types, whick lack support from the bottom.
I am opening Vintage April with my FBT - I might try a Feather. Thanks.

Meanwhile I am taking a Gillette 365 into double digits almost. Super comfortable and sharp blade.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks for the shoutout @Guido75 !!

Yep, I hit 500 on it, and it's still going to give me more, I think.

Wow, quite the accomplishment! I tried some Nacets a couple of years back before I was using the Tech and changed my technique. The most I got was 34 shaves with a Super Speed. Some of them tended to chip.
I just got shave 250 on my Feather, and still getting close shaves.

Top Bottom