What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

I used a Lord Racer for the One-Blade-in-February challenge, riding it for 27 shaves, then three shave in March for a total of 30 shaves. Not the most I've gotten, but remarkable for this lower-tier blade. While I never got any irritation, the closeness of the shaves--even at the early stages of the challenge--was lacking.

Today I used a Nacet with 16 shaves on it and it performed better than any shave I got with the Racer.

38th use of the IP today, paired with a Piccolo Mk2.

Four day growth, but I would have been DFS+ with 2 passes. As I had time, and needed to relax, a 3rd pass got me to smooth.

The blade is functioning well. Maybe my technique is now functioning better.

Will be 12 on the Crystal next time out. Just breaking in still. I have high hopes for it.

Astra SP (9)

I seem to be in the buttery stage on the first edge. One side of the top cap has an engraving, so it is easy to keep track.

I've been using a shallower angle than I thought possible. I hold the handle at about 45 degrees. Most of the sound disappears. If the whiskers weren't disappearing, I'd think the blade wasn't touching the skin.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Joining the club. Have mined this thread since 2020 for tips and tricks. With help from some pedantic Scot, I had a breakthrough last night. Yes, it was the same advice an earnest Yorkshireman tried imparting years ago, but it clicked last night and my comfort increased.

Last night, Gillette Nacet (7).

thombrogan

The Yorkshireman suggested I try minimal prep back in November 2020. Or is he a Rotherhamian or Sheffielder? Minimal prep was the suggestion.

Last night’s advice was a steeper angle and lighter pressure than I was using (was pushing the razor cap into my skin until the stubble — and skin :eek6: — met the blade).

Minimal prep
Reduced pressure
Steeper angle

I think a steeper angle is how you’re able to use a Micromatic Clog Pruf without throwing it in a storm drain?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Yorkshireman suggested I try minimal prep back in November 2020. Or is he a Rotherhamian or Sheffielder? Minimal prep was the suggestion.

Last night’s advice was a steeper angle and lighter pressure than I was using (was pushing the razor cap into my skin until the stubble — and skin :eek6: — met the blade).

Minimal prep
Reduced pressure
Steeper angle

I think a steeper angle is how you’re able to use a Micromatic Clog Pruf without throwing it in a storm drain?

Interesting to hear how it was interpreted, although it wasn't exactly what I was suggesting...

Minimal prep Don't over prep. It softens and fluffs up the skin as well as softening the hair.
Reduced pressure NO pressure
Steeper angle Neutral angle (although Cal is a fan of steeper angles)

thombrogan

Hi, Al!

Your suggestion was minimal prep. The remaining melange came from elsewhere (my interpretation of what you told me plus things I read from Cal and rudyt).

Steeper, for me, for this case, was/is neutral. Any steeper and it tugged on my chin.

Reduced pressure was reducing the pressure from a cap being pressed into my face to just pressure of the edge against the whiskers. I think that’s what people mean by “no pressure” when they expect the edge to actually cut. I can and will be wrong, though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hi, Al!

Your suggestion was minimal prep. The remaining melange came from elsewhere (my interpretation of what you told me plus things I read from Cal and rudyt).

Steeper, for me, for this case, was/is neutral. Any steeper and it tugged on my chin.

Reduced pressure was reducing the pressure from a cap being pressed into my face to just pressure of the edge against the whiskers. I think that’s what people mean by “no pressure” when they expect the edge to actually cut. I can and will be wrong, though.

Yeah, some if it might have been relative to whatever you were doing at the last shave. As long as it leads you to your best shaves, that's all that matters, mate :thumbup:

thombrogan

This Nacet-labeled blade; sold to me by Cosmic Marketplace and Amazon; is wonderfully effective at a nigh-neutral angle (with the positive exposure of the Fatip Grande mkII, that’s the zone of perpetual blade feel) and fairly good fairly steep on my neck and most of my face, but then became very tugging on my chin (whiskers densest there for me). Lifted it up so the slightest amount of cap was noticed on my skin (chin skin?) and the tugging and whiskers went away.

Too much tugging = too much pressure... and of course bunching up the skin in front of the blade by riding the cap doesn't help too much either.

You’re not wrong. I was trying to let the luxurious feeling of the comb lead the way and the tugging interrupted that bliss.

Seeing what next time brings.

thombrogan

@GaryTha , I’m offer you both my apologies and my unused puck of William’s Mug Soap. My comment was made in jest.

You may we’ll be the last of the frequently posting shallow/minimal pressure shavers in this club. @psfred is one, too, as were @jamesspo and @bosseb , but they post much less often as of late.

With sincere regret

Top Bottom