What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Binned the NOS Schick Super Chromium with 30 shaves on it, but not because the blade was shot. It still had shaves in it. Just not interested in carrying further. Focus instead will go to a NOS Gillette Platinum Plus, which currently has five shaves on it.

Amazing blade, though, the Schick.

20th shave today with Gillette Silver Blue. For shave 19 I used a Parker open comb yesterday and thought that I'd reached the end of the GSB. But today I used the Rockwell with plate 4 and it's a DFS. So I'm not going to toss the GSB yet.

20th shave today with Gillette Silver Blue. For shave 19 I used a Parker open comb yesterday and thought that I'd reached the end of the GSB. But today I used the Rockwell with plate 4 and it's a DFS. So I'm not going to toss the GSB yet.

Great job getting to 20! You may be in the buttery stage by now that can last a long time.

In the peace lies the power! I´m on 76 shaves! Let the blade recover !!!

with kind regards King-Joe

Last edited:
Also: is it okay to do more than one blade at a time, as in alternating blades weekly, etc?
This is an approach that I've been following for a few years now and I think that it has helped me to not only extend blade life, but also to detect when a blade may be going off. At one time, I've juggled as many as five different blades. It could have been overwhelming, but that's the benefit of shaving using a tracked orderly rotation (as we discussed in the "Rotation or Dedication?" thread). I'm able to keep track of which razor/blade combo I use, when I use it, and how many times I use it.

I'm currently rotating through three blades: an Astra SP (91st shave, today), a Merkur Super Platinum (20), and another Astra SP (3). I had thought that the Merkur was unusably dull after 10 shaves and started on the second Astra, but returned to it after receiving a razor (an RR GC .84-P) that has a nice balance of aggressiveness and efficiency. I shaved on consecutive days with that razor using the well-used and new Astra SPs, respectively, and found that the older blade felt sharper while the new blade felt harsh.

As many of us have experienced, switching from mild to more aggressive razors can sometimes rejuvenate a dulling blade. Therefore, I wondered what the seemingly dull Merkur might be like in the GC .84-P. In a nutshell, I managed to get 10 more shaves out of it. I've now switched it to a Slim set to 9 to see if I can extend its life again. (I'm not hopeful.)

Meanwhile, I paired the new Astra with a milder RR Old Type and it has now provided two very comfortable shaves. Seems to give credence to the increasing razor aggressivity theory (i.e. start a blade in a mild razor and progressively move it to more aggressive razors over time).

I think the Astra SP is the most popular blade for Excalibur Club members. Many shavers get above 50 shaves. More experienced shavers get close to 100 or a bit above. It seems like everyone but me likes variety in blades.

I think the secret is in the shaving break when the blade can recover. This is not possible with a daily shave with the same blade !!!

with kind regards King-Joe

I had the 6th shave on a Gillette Wilkinson Sword. I was careful to use a light touch for the first five shaves and avoid drawing any blood for the first phase. I also rode a tiny bit more of the top plate. The initial roughness lasted until the 5th shave. Now the blade has turned smooth.

Although it's a great blade, this is the last WS blade I'll use. Come Jan 1, I'll only use Astra SPs.

I think the Astra SP is the most popular blade for Excalibur Club members. Many shavers get above 50 shaves. More experienced shavers get close to 100 or a bit above. It seems like everyone but me likes variety in blades.
The Gillette Silver Blues and Bolzanos are the only blades that got me past 100+ shaves. PolSilver SIs, Wizamets, Wilkies, Feathers and the yellow pack Gillettes are good for 80+ for me.

Today was my eighth shave on a Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Close to BBS with no fanfare.

Yesterday, I got a single tug of the type that would have caused me to bin the blade in the past. I think I hit a spot with no soap on it. In most cases, it's worthwhile to push one or two shaves past the first thoughts of binning a blade.

Astra SP must just perform differently in a straight bar than they do in a slant. I had only shave 7 on one today and it is done. I really sing think I can get one more out of it. Whereas I can get at least 10+ from a Voskhod. I’m going to have to study some more on this.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Astra SP must just perform differently in a straight bar than they do in a slant. I had only shave 7 on one today and it is done. I really sing think I can get one more out of it. Whereas I can get at least 10+ from a Voskhod. I’m going to have to study some more on this.

Reviews on slant razors are mixed.

I often use a diagonal stroke, but I haven't stuck with it exclusively for a blade's lifetime to see the effect.

@psfred and @ruckin are slant experts.

Reviews on slant razors are mixed.

I often use a diagonal stroke, but I haven't stuck with it exclusively for a blade's lifetime to see the effect.

@psfred and @ruckin are slant experts.

Hopefully one of them can weigh in on blade longevity in a slant.

On the other hand, I couldn’t get more than 7 from an Astra SP in a straight bar (23c, WCS CC) either. It may just just be me or my beard.

Hopefully one of them can weigh in on blade longevity in a slant.

On the other hand, I couldn’t get more than 7 from an Astra SP in a straight bar (23c, WCS CC) either. It may just just be me or my beard.

I think I recall you are a head shaver. For comparison, those who head shave count a head shave and a face shave as three shaves. Some people use two blades each day so they can track each one.

If you have a tough beard, seven shaves, including a head shave, might be good.

I think I recall you are a head shaver. For comparison, those who head shave count a head shave and a face shave as three shaves. Some people use two blades each day so they can track each one.

If you have a tough beard, seven shaves, including a head shave, might be good.

Yes I head shave but only occasionally use a DE for my head. I generally use carts. The 7 shaves is just on my face. I really wanted to take the Astra out to at least 10 but it will be replaced in the morning before I shave. Voskhods and Rapira PL’s can go at least 10 each, so I do have blades that will last, but I have about 150 or so Astras still to go through.

Either way, I still have at least 4 years worth of blades and plenty of time. [emoji16]

Yes I head shave but only occasionally use a DE for my head. I generally use carts. The 7 shaves is just on my face. I really wanted to take the Astra out to at least 10 but it will be replaced in the morning before I shave. Voskhods and Rapira PL’s can go at least 10 each, so I do have blades that will last, but I have about 150 or so Astras still to go through.

Either way, I still have at least 4 years worth of blades and plenty of time. [emoji16]

What was wrong with the 7th shave?

What was wrong with the 7th shave?

It was extremely rough and I ended up with writers on my neck which I never have. Nothing was changed in my routine and this is how Astras have always done from the beginning.

They usually start going down at about 5 and are gone by 7. The only thing I haven’t tried with them is my pre shave oil but it doesn’t get used with the others either. I only use it if I miss a day. It does help with plowing through 2 days growth.

I even tried riding the cap a little more and it still wouldn’t smooth out.

It was extremely rough and I ended up with writers on my neck which I never have. Nothing was changed in my routine and this is how Astras have always done from the beginning.

They usually start going down at about 5 and are gone by 7. The only thing I haven’t tried with them is my pre shave oil but it doesn’t get used with the others either. I only use it if I miss a day. It does help with plowing through 2 days growth.

I even tried riding the cap a little more and it still wouldn’t smooth out.

The Excalibur Club way is to never quit after a bad shave. Get two or three bad shaves in a row before quitting. Chances are it's your technique.

There are only a few things to check.
  • 1. Are you riding the top cap?
  • 2. Are you using a light touch?
  • 3. Are you paying attention?
Theoretically, the platinum finish wears off Astra SP's in about five shaves. The blade may feel a little rough for the next five shaves or so. However, it's about as sharp as it was at the start. If people cut themselves during these five shaves, they figure the blade has a nick. It's usually not the case.

I'm not suggesting you get five more bloody and uncomfortable shaves, but if you can get five more acceptable shaves, you may bloop into the buttery phase. This can sometimes take you another 80 shaves.

If you have an option, I suggest using a milder razor until it doesn't shave well anymore.

You can also try flipping the blade after each shave. I think each corner, top and bottom, will need to take turns in the lower right corner for a slant.

Last edited:
Im currently on use number 15 with a super max blue diamond, and im super impressed. Almost as good longevity as the 7 oclock yellows for half the price.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom