Yep. 3 shaves ago, I hit 100!
Yay!
proxy.php

Razor - Single-Ring Old
Blade - GSB (96)
Soap - Speick stick
Brush - 24 mm SynBad w Blue Lagoon handle
Aftershave - Floïd Vigoroso

It was better than a few of the previous shaves. I suspect it may be because of how the Old clamps the full width of the blade.

Current Astra SP is at 18 shaves and counting. Switch razor and blade combo Saturday to my Slim with another SP that is at 16 shaves now. (I rotate combos weekly on a Saturday to Friday schedule)

This week: 67 Black Handle Super Speed
Next week: 63 Slim
Week after: 58 Flare Tip Super Speed

The Flare Tip is currently a GSB, the others a Astra SP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shave #95 on a Polsilver SI today. Just showing stubble at midnight after a 6:30 am shave, too.

Tied with a German Wilkinson Sword for longevity, and it has more shaves in it yet.

Today was GSB (48). New for today was swapping out my kind and gentle Super Speed returning to my 1957 Ball End Tech. I had not used the Tech since shave (17) on this GSB blade run. I expected to feel dull blade chatter but I was thrilled with a great shave! Well into the upper range of DFS quality, not quite BBS, but good enough to make me happy again. I've not had this experience previously with my Tech late in a blade run. My Tech doesn't typically feel "tight" enough so dull blades don't feel good at all. After this blade retires, it will become a shim for my Tech. I'll also try the shim in the Slim, just to see what happens. To convert the old blade to a shim, I'll sand or file off the edge bevels. It will be close to full size. My GSB record is 52. I can see this blade outlasting 52. Happy Thanksgiving!

Yep. 3 shaves ago, I hit 100!

Celebrated by using my declaration brush and trying Nuavia for the first time.

Shave went very smoothly. I know the blade will go farther!

Here's the shave...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
:a14: Congratulations Good Sir! That is indeed a milestone.

razor - Canadian X2 Ball-end Tech
blades - GSB (99)
soap - TOBS Eton College
brush - Simpson Special 1 Best Badger
post - alum block, cold water rinse, Mennen Skin Bracer

proxy.php

Okay, everybody scooch in together:
GSB 100 SOTD Nov-25-2018.JPG

SOTD Nov 25, 2018
rasor: L4 Gillette Slim, set to 9
blade: Gillette Silver Blue (100)
soap: Proraso Red
brush: APShaveCo 24 mm SynBad set in Blue Lagoon handle

It was a nice BBS, with absolutely no irritation or razor burn. No feedback to speak of, either from the alum or the AS.

The blade survived without the cracked part breaking off, but I made a point of not using the Fendrihan Mk I All-Stainless razor after the crack appeared.

Tomorrow I get to crack open that pack of Personnas that I got a few weeks (months?) ago.

Shave # 40

Razor
: Merkur 23C
Blade: Personna Red
Preshave: Neutrogena Skin clearing Shave cream
Lather
: Arko Shave stick
Brush: Boar
Postshave: Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave

I'm thinking this is the end of the road for this blade after this shave. It's super smooth but it just doesn't seem to be cutting quite as well anymore. It's just taking too much work to get a good shave now. Super smooth though and it would be almost impossible to cut myself on it now. I had to end up using my Gillette Guard to finish up the shave so 40 is it. Not bad for a first trial out especially as I only started DE shaving about 5 months ago. This is the only blade I've used except for the Ying jili blade I used for my first 3 shaves that came with the razor. I may just pop it back in now with my increased skills and see how it feels now. :001_302:

Woo-hoo! I got to use a brand-new blade, three nights ago.
A Personna barber blade (for lack of a better name), purchased at Sally Beauty.
PersonnaBarberDEblades.jpeg

"Made in USA, assembled in Mexico"
I have never used any flavour of Personna blade before, so this will be interesting.

Shave #1, in a British Aristocrat Junior:
Very close shave in far fewer strokes than a century blade, for sure. No dragging, but two weepers and more alum/AS feedback than I've become accustomed to.

Shave #2, in a Canadian Pre-War Tech:
About the same, except about 5-6 weepers.

Shave #3, in a Gillette Slim set to 4:
Yay! No weepers tonight. Still a fair amount of sting from the alum and AS.

Hey, I know the feeling! My little sink has even less of a shoulder than that!
Oh, I have more room than that in my den to the right, partially covered by the dark brown towel.
This was just an easier setting to clean up for the photo-op. :D

Last edited:
New record yesterday, shave #96 on a Polsilver SI. Nice and smooth, very close. I expect to get at least 100 shaves on this blade -- good thing I have 150 more!

Nice going on those Century Club shaves, gents!

@John Rose that is impressively bold going back to the Slim on setting #9 for the 100th shave! I'll have to revisit the Slim!

Today was GSB (56) going steady strong in my Ball End Tech. I can't get BBS, and haven't for a while however I can easily achieve DFS quality with zero nicks which makes for a great start to the day. My previous longest run was 52 with another GSB so we are in record territory.

The clear lesson this blade run has taught me is to persist with the light touch which delivers a closer shave than more pressure. I'm tempted to add pressure as blades age but it's counterproductive (worse shave quality). The light touch is always cleaner (of nicks or irritation). Light touch !

I hit #96 on a Polsilver SI on Wednesday, a record for me (and the blade, but it's the first one I've used). Shave quality is declining a bit compared to a new one, but perfectly adequate for work where no one cares.

Will get past 100 with it, I think, as the first edge still has some life left. Will need to clean a couple blades, they tend to load up with soap scum due to my very hard water, and shave poorly when it gets too thick.

Shave # 6

Razor
: Merkur 23C
Blade: Ying Jili
Preshave: Neutrogena Skin clearing Shave cream
Lather
: Arko Shave stick
Brush: Boar
Postshave: Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave

I decided to revive the first blade I've ever used when I took up DE shaving just 4 months back. At the time I had multiple weepers every time I used the ying Jili blade that came with my Weishi razor. I used it only 5 times before deciding to use a Personna Red blade. After getting the Personna Red to 40 shaves I thought I'd go back and see if my improved skills would give me a better shave now with the Ying Jili blade. It ended up being a great shave. Just one small cut which closed really quick. The blade felt great and I got somewhere between a BBS and DFS shave. It's true, When your skills improve almost any blade will give you a great shave. :001_302: Let's see how far I can push this blade.

I figured it was time I posted here, as it's been a really, really, long time! Great to see everyone's success with blade longevity. I don't even keep track of how many shaves these days, but it's always a lot. I think I started with my current Feather in the early spring, so it's 100+ for sure. It's starting to take a few extra strokes to get things done, so I'll probably grab a new one here in the next week :). Soldier on gents (and ladies).

Top Bottom