What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

SGWB: Look at it this way: We are trying to improve our technique, using the number of shaves as an indication of improvement.
I'm stealing this sentence ;-) It sums it up perfectly.

I started DE shaving around the same year as you, using a white "fishing line" synthetic brush and Palmolive cream in a tube. I shaved every other day back then and changed my blade at the first shave of the month. When I started shaving daily, I kept the same one blade a month system for 40 years.

A few years ago I discovered this thread and found I was pitching my blades too early. They should be changed when they need it, not on a schedule.

Current blades are 30 shaves on a German Wilkinson, mostly on one edge (hard to tell, I didn't mark the razor and the doors look enough alike I'm not sure I've only used one), a Gillette Rubie with 21 shaves on the first edge, a Polsilver with 20 shaves on the first edge, and a Dorco Prime with 20 on the first edge. The latter is a surprise, I didn't really expect it to last that much longer than an ST 301.

The Wilkie gave me a wonderful shave this morning, I barely can feel stubble now at 10:20. Have never gotten a shave that close with the Polsilver, have had it in an SA and a Fatboy so far, neither giving me a really nice shave. Finally stopped getting weepers with it around 15 shaves, so it's not dull, just not doing a great job for me.

At this rate, they should all give me 40 or more shaves, probably 50 or more by the feel. They are being helped along greatly by my homemade shaving soap which gives me great lather, but I shaved with Williams the other day it it worked just as well.

I won't be buying razor blades any time soon.

I got no responses to my post on the last page, so let me ask: is anyone here actually monitoring the state of the blade edge with a magnifier or microscope? Anyone discovered any simple way to strop, with before and after pics? Helloooo?

I got no responses to my post on the last page, so let me ask: is anyone here actually monitoring the state of the blade edge with a magnifier or microscope? Anyone discovered any simple way to strop, with before and after pics? Helloooo?

Personally I am not. I just pay attention to what it looks like and the rest is how close and comfortable the shave is. If you are planning to do this as an experiment and document the results I think that will have value to the community. I look forward to seeing the findings.

I plan too, my brother is a professor of Geology and has a scanning electron microscope. Someday I'll make a trip down with a fresh and a worn out blade and I'll take a look. I don't think an optical microscope will work very well, the depth of focus is too small.

Hi Sugarlump. :001_smile
Some pictures of my Kai DE

Here is new

Here # 4

Here # 34

It is now perfect and continues her cruise...!
@Theleme added the above (eight posts before your original post).

We're looking forward to further pics as he continues his journey (hint hint Theleme:wink2:).

Hi Sugarlump. :001_smile

@Theleme added the above (eight posts before your original post).

We're looking forward to further pics as he continues his journey (hint hint Theleme:wink2:).

yes Cal ! I will continue to make pictures of my Kai DE each10 shaves and post it here.
When I'll take a new blade, I'll use this protocol:
- A pic at # 0
- Then a pic at # 10, # 20, etc. and a pic before and after handstrop.

(Excuse my language once again, but I am French and google is my friend... but not a very god translater! :001_unsur)

... I will continue to make pictures of my Kai DE each10 shaves and post it here. ...
Thank you Theleme. :thumbup1:

As your #34 pic was 11 days ago, should we expect another one soon? :001_unsur :001_smile

Your English is good, and probably about a million times better than my French. :laugh:

Thank you Theleme. :thumbup1:

As your #34 pic was 11 days ago, should we expect another one soon? :001_unsur :001_smile

Your English is good, and probably about a million times better than my French. :laugh:
I'm only at # 36 on this DE Kai because I have other blades going on on other SE razors: ACs in a General and Injector in Schicks.
To manage my rotation of blades, I organized with simple paper pockets hand made in 30 seconds each.
20170505_144428343.jpg
20170505_144845994.jpg

Green for DE Blade, Pink for AC blades, Blue for injector (original or AC recut)

Yes, god idea Cal The simple life : I'll do that later > one razor, one blade... for one year ! but i must improve my technics before :001_302:

[QUOTE = "1Cal, poste: 9015556, membre: 106012"] :rire: Maintenant , ce serait quelque chose! En supposant que vous raser tous les jours ... 365 rasages sur une lame. : Ouch1:[/CITATION]
It's even stronger than that ... I do two shaves a day: head and beard:a43::001_rolle

I hit 78 today with my feather. After taking a small break to test another blade, I'm back at it. Prior to 75, I was tempted to throw in the towel. But now, realizing I'm close to the Century mark.... I'm recharged to press on!

To manage my rotation of blades, I organized with simple paper pockets hand made in 30 seconds each.
Your idea is a good one, but of i did it that way, i would only have 4 pockets (1 DE, 1 injector, 1 AC and 1 AutoStrop). I do the same thing as @1Cal - I only have one blade of each type being used at once. When I switch razors, I transfer the old blade to the new razor.

Your idea is a good one, but of i did it that way, i would only have 4 pockets (1 DE, 1 injector, 1 AC and 1 AutoStrop). I do the same thing as @1Cal - I only have one blade of each type being used at once. When I switch razors, I transfer the old blade to the new razor.
I make cross-shifts between blades and razors to avoid the trouble of shaving each day as the day before: Every morning I tell myself what blade for which razor ?
That's why I have many blades going on.
- And I also have a blade test: when I'm disappointed by a blade # 30 for example, the next day I take the same blade between # 0 and # 6 or 7. it allows me to notice immediately if it was my Blade that was bad the day before or if it was me who was ! :07:

I'm just celebrating my One Hundred and Onety-Oneth Shave on the magic Polsilver Super Iridium. :punk:
upload_2017-5-23_1-10-5.png

111 Shaves on a blade (previous record 31). My technique is definitely improving thanks to the advice of all you fellas, thank you.:001_smile And the daily blade clean and flip appear to be helping a lot (thanks @rabidus, you're a flipping genius:thumbup1:).

The best thing about all this, is that the blade feels just as smooth and nearly as sharp as it did on shave one! :w00t:

Top Bottom