What's new

Evolving Technique

Well, today I managed to integrate the most changes into my shaving routine to date. I had to shave at the sink, which is never good for me- I almost always shave in the shower, as I have found that helps adequately open the pores and prevent excess weepers and irritation. I had a hot date and was pressed for time, so I had to forego the shower/shave.
I began by turning on the hot water in the shower to try to get some heat/steam going in the bathroom and open my pores.
Next, I wet my beard and worked in some hair conditioner to try to soften it, and rinsed. Next, I used some AOS Pre-Shave Oil from a sampler I got in a gift set, working that in and leaving it on.
Then I applied Body Shop Maca Root Cream directly to my beard, and used the brush to lather it up after application. I have found that I prefer this method, because it prevents me from getting excess water into my shave cream tub.
The shave was done with my Merkur 37G and a Feather blade. I got closer than I EVER have at a sink shave, but did get about 6-8 smallish weepers. I broke out my new Alum bar after the shave, wet it in cold water, and passed it over my entire beard, paying close attention to the weepers. It was my first time using Alum, and I LOVE the way it closes the weepers so quickly!! All my buddies will be getting a bar in with their holiday gifts.
Finally, I applied some Nivea ASB.
I felt really great after this shave, and got excellent results! My shaving chore became a relaxing moment in a hectic day. I know that when I integrate all of these steps into my shower/shave routine, the final results will be even better.
This procedure is largely a product of all the information I have gotten here on BNB over the past month, and I really appreciate what it has done for my shave.
I look forward to learning more on the journey.
Any tips?

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing just fine. It has been my experience that weepers are usually the result of too much pressure on the razor and an issue with blade angle.

Congratulations!

Alum is great for closing pores but lately I've found it dries my face out too much. Now I only use it on my rare (for the moment!) nicks... YMMV

Today I integrated all of the above into my typical shower shave for the first time. As a result, I honestly am wearing the best shave of my life, and loving it. I took your advice and worked on using less pressure/force on the razor, and I am just amazed at the difference. No need for alum today- the few tiny weepers I got made it completely unnecessary, since they rapidly closed on their own. I am eager to see if I can actually get a zero weeper shave combined with this degree of closeness. You guys are amazing, and this site rocks!!

Top Bottom