What's new

Everyman Jack Sandalwood Shave Gel.

Today I shaved with a Mach 3 and Everyman Jack Sandalwood Shave Gel. I really wanted to push this shave gel so I used my most aggressive razor I was familiar with. The description of Amazon made it sound like this is a product similar to canned shave gel, whereas I found the consistency very different. It's thin, runny liquid, in between hair gel and Vitalis in consistency. It is clear and you can lather it with a brush, but it makes an effervescent foam that then fades back into a translucent layer. I used about a quarter sized amount and a damp synthetic brush and face lathered. The lather is mostly there to help distribute and work in the product, and then it goes away. Then it's more like shaving with a clear shave gel like Rise, a product I picked up years ago at a dollar store.

I am unfamiliar with Everyman Jack's sandalwood scent contained in this product. It smells similar to Hawaiian sandalwood and is very sweet, with perhaps some coumarin or vanilla, and very sensual, almost intoxicating. To be honest I much prefer the smell of Australian sandalwood, with its drier quality, and less sweetness. But it's still a rich sandalwood scent and would probably appeal to alot of men. I just think it smells more like an evening fragrance than a casual fragrance. The scent of this product is so heavy and clingy that it can interfere with fragrances you choose to wear, and it will resist washing off with ordinary water.

The shave gel is incredibly slick but has zero cushion. It did a good job, resulting in a close shave and only left my skin with a little irritation in a few places, but I'm not too thrilled by this style of shave product. Still, I can't deny it is effective and it left my skin very conditioned. In fact the slickness would not wash off my skin. So I did something I rarely do- I used an alcohol based aftershave, with seemingly no ill effects. The silicone and emollients in this product really keep the alcohol from penetrating deep into your skin, and it just evaporates.

If I used this product again, I would probably opt to use it similar to Cremo, and not use a brush. I don't think it works as well with a brush. It's really designed to spread around in a super slick layer and only lather a little, just enough so you can see it being worked into your skin.

My last concern would be the slickness. It's so slick you need to have a razor with good grip, because even your hands will become somewhat slick (mine still are). Most DE razors just have adequate grip with conventional soap-based shave creams, so I could see that as a concern. The Mach 3 has great grippiness with its silicone rubber and I didn't have a problem.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is a product that I have not heard much about.

I have not tried the Every Man Jack shave gel, but did try the non-lathering shave cream. I used it once and then dumped it. A lot of these products are designed to be extremely slick, but have little cushion. Thus, they work better with multi-blade cartridge razors than they do with single blade razors (SE, DE, straights). They are sold in the same outlets that promote cartridge razors. For those who value slickness more than cushion, it might be a suitable product.

I have not tried the Every Man Jack shave gel, but did try the non-lathering shave cream. I used it once and then dumped it. A lot of these products are designed to be extremely slick, but have little cushion. Thus, they work better with multi-blade cartridge razors than they do with single blade razors (SE, DE, straights). They are sold in the same outlets that promote cartridge razors. For those who value slickness more than cushion, it might be a suitable product.

I don't think it's that simple. Cartridges vary alot in how the pivoting mechanism works, how much flex and give there are in the blades, and that effects how much pressure is placed against the skin and the sort of strokes that work best. The Sensor and Bic Hybrid 2, for instance, are both twin blade cartridges, but I'm finding the Sensor can be used more or less the same as any single blade razor with the same short-stroke, no pressure mentality, whereas the Bic Hybrid 2 might require a slightly different mindset. And the Mach 3 is a different beast altogether, having a completely different pivot mechanism.

I've also had great shaves with similar non-lathering products and a single-edge blade. Particularly with a mild razor like the Bic Sensitive. I could see it working fine with a lightweight DE razor like a Tech.

Top Bottom