What's new

Everyday Stainless Razor Test

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razors.jpg
Ongoing accolades of moderately-priced mild stainless steel razors prompted me run a comparison to my favorite Rockwell 6S. Purchasing through our generous members on our BST forum allowed me stay within budget while keeping quality high. Very subjective, and YMMV, but here’s what I found:
  • Testing Procedure: Minimum of 3 shaves with each razor, using new Astra Superior Stainless blades, each time using with-the-grain and against-the-grain passes. Products included Proraso green preshave, Cella red and Tabac soaps, Zenith boar, Nivea Cooling Post-Shave Balm.
  • Rankings:
    1. Rockwell 6S: This good friend remains the standard by which all other razors will be compared. Smooth, efficient, non-irritating, long-lasting shaves. Bank vault-like construction. Lovely.
    2. Feather AS-D2: Love the design, matte finish, feel and weight. It delivers an incredibly comfortable shave, albeit at a slight risk of weepers. In this case only, I expanded the blade choice to include Feather’s own blade. It was a perfect match. Luxurious.
    3. RazoRock Game Changer .68: RazoRock’s CNC machining is wonderful, and of their 3, this was the best combination of style, comfort and performance. It delivered the longest-lasting shaves; often my face remained BBS smooth even at the end of the workday. Wow.
    4. RazoRock Lupo .72: Milder than the Game Changer, but mildness at a price. As my technique improved, the Game Changer delivered longer-lasting shaves, while all other aspects of the shave were the same. Gentle.
    5. RazoRock Mamba .70: Many have perfected the technique this razor requires, but I simply could not. Meh.
Prior to this test, I used significant pressure with my Rockwell 6S, simply because the #3 plate is so forgiving. However, that same pressure yielded a bloody mess with the competition. Differences in blade gap, exposure and optimum angles taught me the art of using less pressure to achieve closer shaves. In the end, this change in technique ultimately allowed me to permanently increase to the #5 plate on the Rockwell 6S, delivering even better daily shaves.

The Mamba will be gifted to someone with better technique than I. But the Feather AS-D2, Game Changer and Lupo earned a place in my razor rotation.

Interesting indeed. I have never used the Mamba, but I have the Gamechanger 0.68 and 0.84 closed comb versions, the Lupo DC (0.72 open comb and 0.95 closed comb) and the Rockwell 6s. The closer, longer lasting shaves were delivered by the Lupo, either side, hands down. A tad more than Rockwell's @6.

I own all those razors except the Mamba .70 Although I do own an original Mamba.

For me it goes:

Feather AS D2
Game changer .68
Original Mamba
Rockwell s2
Lupo .72

I absolutely love the feather. Beautiful razor and smooth close shaves every time.

I like the game changer almost as much but the way blades load is a bit quirky.

The Rockwell gives great shaves. But for me shaving with it isn't quite as enjoyable because I find the head kind of bulky and unwieldy.

The Lupo shaves fine for me but for some reason I sometimes get nicks and weepers with it. And that's very rare for me.

The original Mamba is great but a touch too mild for me. It's the mildest razor i own.

In simply speaking Razorock razors....
Lupo .72
Closest shave with long lasting BBS, with still being fairly comfortable

Game Changer .84p
Need more time but in-between the Lupo and .68p for comfort and efficiency.

Game Changer .68p
Extremely comfortable and very easy to use with absolutely no real thought. Great efficiency, fantastic shave really.

Original Mamba (.53)
Super safe and mild not the easiest to find angle* least efficiency but has been in rotation for years!

*A steep angle shaver personally.
IMG_20210518_145855.jpg

Very useful comparison! For me the Feather wins easily, with the GC .68 and Mamba .70 tied for second. I'm surprised you didn't like the Mamba. For me, it handles a lot like the Feather. But of course, faces and beards differ. I don't have the Rockwell or Lupo, so nothing to say there.

Love the Mamba 70! Have all the Game Changers but they don’t feel as comfortable to me. Also have the Lupos but they have too much blade feel (except for the aluminum Lupo head which is excellent). Reading everyone’s feedback helps determine which razors will work best for me. The Mamba 70, aluminum Lupo and Tatara Masamune are the best razors I’ve tried. Similar slim heads that clamp the blade tight for chatter free, comfortable and safe shaves. Of the three Tatara shaves the closest.

It's interesting to see your results. I don't know if I would classify the Feather as moderately priced but there are certainly much higher priced razors out there these days.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I appreciating everyone’s feedback. It’s interesting how differently we rank these razors. Whether it’s shaving techniques, skin sensitivity, or some other variables, our different results shows why it’s important to test drive different razors, rather than rely on others’ reviews.

Love the Mamba 70! Have all the Game Changers but they don’t feel as comfortable to me. Also have the Lupos but they have too much blade feel (except for the aluminum Lupo head which is excellent). Reading everyone’s feedback helps determine which razors will work best for me. The Mamba 70, aluminum Lupo and Tatara Masamune are the best razors I’ve tried. Similar slim heads that clamp the blade tight for chatter free, comfortable and safe shaves. Of the three Tatara shaves the closest.
Completely agree that the Lupo has blade feel. Remember the first time it touched my neck, was like wow okay! Still works for me, as I get the best BBS without irritation. The Game Changers are also excellent.

I said this about six months ago… “Love the Mamba 70! Have all the Game Changers but they don’t feel as comfortable to me. Also have the Lupos but they have too much blade feel (except for the aluminum Lupo head which is excellent).”

Still love the Mamba 70 but love the Lupo 72 just as much or maybe even more! It was a matter of lightening my touch. Game Changer still doesn’t work for me.

Top Bottom