What's new

Everyday Shaving

Hi folks, I hope you are all doing fine. It's been a while since I have posted but today I thought I would say hello again.

For the last roughly 18 months I have just been getting on with the business of shaving and trying to ensure I enjoyed it and enjoyed a good quality shave.

I made a resolution to work my way through my stock of both hardware and software, and to not buy anything new that I didn't really need ( that was difficult [emoji6])

I learned my sweet spot for a blade was 10 shaves, however changing from shift work to Monday to Friday hours lent itself to a 7 shave plan. My blade of choice is a Rapira Platinum Lux closely followed by a Gillette SB.

As for Razors, like brushes I've only used 2. Most of the time I use a black Standard Razor with a 50s style Superspeed every now and again.

I have a brush for softer soaps and creams, this is very nice soft badger I received as a PIF here some time ago, my other brush is a Scissor & Co silvertip which has a bit more backbone and copes with hard soaps no problem.

The most fun has been working through my soaps and creams, however this was the most challenging as I vowed to Titanic each one and not move on till it was finished. I cannot remember everything I've used but I went through a stick of Arko, puck of modern vintage Williams, tubes of Nivea, Palmolive, Lo Toja and a lovely tub of TOBS Barbershop.

My journey is not over yet as like so many here I've got a small mountain shaving gear waiting to be used.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post but my Dad passed away a couple of days ago and I've been reflecting on life since then and I realised shaving still is something that I get a great deal enjoyment from and I had let my interactions here on the forum slide which I'm disappointed with.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and thank you for being here, it's helped a lot getting a few words down.

Billy.

proxy.php

Thank you for your post Billy. :thumbup1:

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your Dad. And remember you're not alone, us bunch are always here for you. :biggrin1:

Hey Boaz, I'm sorry to hear about your father. My mom passed away 10 years ago and unfortunately I know how tough it is. There are some good things to come out of it, though, one of which is that it helps you to understand the things that are important in life and what's not important. From your post it's clear that you're doing some reflecting, and I think that's a good & healthy thing to do. Hang in there, and thanks for writing this nice post -- I am a new DE shaver who has built up a big arsenal of product and I recently made a similar vow as you to use it all up before I buy anything new. Wise words!

Hi Billy, welcome back to B&B

By nature I'm a bit of a hoarder, so I too have amassed quite a large amount of soaps, creams and aftershaves.
Nothing will go to waste, and I'm exercising some gentlemanly restraint of my own -
My soaps are all keepers, except for a puck of unbranded Chinese soap, but I'll wait until I either use one up before buying anything new- unless I see something for a crazy low price on eBay.
Living in Spain, Bea, La Toja and Lea are all available in supermarkets, so these are my go to soaps.

My Proraso Red, White & Green croaps are keepers, but only get used occasionally
When the Monsavon Bol A Raser is gone, it won't be missed

Proraso Red, White, Blue & Green are my luxury creams which I use occasionally to treat myself
La Toja, Lea, Nivea and Williams Expert Ice Blue are all available locally, so they're my go to creams
Bea, Bond, Estoril, Goldex, Gillette Regular, Lider and Old Spice Fresh Lime, Musk & Original are surplus to requirement - when they're gone, they won't be missed

Most aftershaves last a very long time because I only use them as an occasional treat or when I go out, but when they're gone I'll decide whether to restock or try something different
My go to aftershaves are Floid Vigaroso, La Toja, Varon Dandy and Williams Expert Aqua Velva - they get restocked when empty

Sorry to hear about your Dad

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's good to see you back around, Billy. I was just thinking about the other day when I ran across something about the I Miss Christmas exchange we enjoyed.

I offer my deepest condolences on the loss of your father. I do not yet know what that is like.

I look forward to seeing more of you and hearing how things are going. Cheers.

Boas,

Sorry to hear about your dad. It is always good to reflect on what is important in our lives.

I enjoyed reading your post. Like you I really enjoy shaving and just use 2 razors, a 34C 99% of the time and a Tech on occasion. When I first came back to DE shaving I tried a lot of blades, creams, and soaps and have not had to buy anything for a few years now (and probably for a few years to come) Trying to whittle away at them one soap at a time, usually 6 days a week and change it up on Sunday just to give it some variety. Currently plugging away at a tub of Cella for the past few months, great stuff but I can say that about most products I use. I have found I get pretty good results with most anything. Stay in touch and great post.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. I lost mine in 2013, and it's hard... I think about, and miss him every day! It will get easier over time though.

Thanks for the great post. I enjoyed reading it!

Hi Billy,

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have this quirky hobby of ours, as it can give us a little peaceful sanctuary.

Hey Billy. Condolences to you and your family. It is a tough time, losing loved ones.
Great to see you back here, I bob in and out every so often, just to have a peep around. Also I'ge got a simular story with regards to using up my supplies, have not bought anything for over a year (I think) and just cracking on using up my soaps. Still got that Cella to finish, seems never ending.

Thank you for your post Billy. :thumbup1:

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your Dad. And remember you're not alone, us bunch are always here for you. :biggrin1:

Thank you very much, that is much appreciated.

Hey Boaz, I'm sorry to hear about your father. My mom passed away 10 years ago and unfortunately I know how tough it is. There are some good things to come out of it, though, one of which is that it helps you to understand the things that are important in life and what's not important. From your post it's clear that you're doing some reflecting, and I think that's a good & healthy thing to do. Hang in there, and thanks for writing this nice post -- I am a new DE shaver who has built up a big arsenal of product and I recently made a similar vow as you to use it all up before I buy anything new. Wise words!

Thank you, I am doing some reflecting and it's been a bit tough. I'll come out the other side a better person.

Good luck with your shaving journey b

Hi Billy, welcome back to B&B

By nature I'm a bit of a hoarder, so I too have amassed quite a large amount of soaps, creams and aftershaves.
Nothing will go to waste, and I'm exercising some gentlemanly restraint of my own -
My soaps are all keepers, except for a puck of unbranded Chinese soap, but I'll wait until I either use one up before buying anything new- unless I see something for a crazy low price on eBay.
Living in Spain, Bea, La Toja and Lea are all available in supermarkets, so these are my go to soaps.

My Proraso Red, White & Green croaps are keepers, but only get used occasionally
When the Monsavon Bol A Raser is gone, it won't be missed

Proraso Red, White, Blue & Green are my luxury creams which I use occasionally to treat myself
La Toja, Lea, Nivea and Williams Expert Ice Blue are all available locally, so they're my go to creams
Bea, Bond, Estoril, Goldex, Gillette Regular, Lider and Old Spice Fresh Lime, Musk & Original are surplus to requirement - when they're gone, they won't be missed

Most aftershaves last a very long time because I only use them as an occasional treat or when I go out, but when they're gone I'll decide whether to restock or try something different
My go to aftershaves are Floid Vigaroso, La Toja, Varon Dandy and Williams Expert Aqua Velva - they get restocked when empty

Sorry to hear about your Dad

Thank you very much, I am in Spain at the moment, my wife went to the supermarket and surprised me with the big tube of La Toja so I thought it would be a good idea to give a a whirl while I'm here.

It's good to see you back around, Billy. I was just thinking about the other day when I ran across something about the I Miss Christmas exchange we enjoyed.

I offer my deepest condolences on the loss of your father. I do not yet know what that is like.

I look forward to seeing more of you and hearing how things are going. Cheers.

Thank you very much for the kind words, I hope to get back into the swing of the forum it really is a good place to be.

This always makes me smile:

proxy.php

Boas,

Sorry to hear about your dad. It is always good to reflect on what is important in our lives.

I enjoyed reading your post. Like you I really enjoy shaving and just use 2 razors, a 34C 99% of the time and a Tech on occasion. When I first came back to DE shaving I tried a lot of blades, creams, and soaps and have not had to buy anything for a few years now (and probably for a few years to come) Trying to whittle away at them one soap at a time, usually 6 days a week and change it up on Sunday just to give it some variety. Currently plugging away at a tub of Cella for the past few months, great stuff but I can say that about most products I use. I have found I get pretty good results with most anything. Stay in touch and great post.

Thank you, good luck with the Cella it will take time but it's good fun!

Top Bottom