What's new

Everyday shaver quest...again. please help.

So, after an unsuccessful foray with Timor, imI back at it.

I'm looking for a mild, but efficient enogh razor for everyday shaving. Tougher whiskers, sensitive skin. I need something that won't rot in a year, but doesn't have to last me a lifetime. And it needs to be widely available in Europe. Now, i guess most suggestions will be either merkur or muhle, so if there's anyone who owns both, please compare and add pros and cons. I would like it to be budget friendly, so for max 50-60 bucks id like a durable beast. A 30-40 mark is preferable. If you have generally available razorsbin europe that also fit the billal, and think they are better than muhle or merkur, please say so :) . Id like it to last a decade. And yes, please, let it align the blade perfectly anytime, as i don't want to go through this pain again.

Thanks

Last edited:
What razor are you currently using?

I can't see any razor deteriorating within a year unless you are deliberately trying to adbuse it. Even a zamac razor can last a lifetime when you look after it.

Efficiency / mildness is partly a personal choice and also down to technique. For instance I can happily shave with a Fatip or a Rocca daily. Others say they find these too harsh. The Mamba might be one of the mildest razors around but with the right blade, correct angle I can shave closer with this razor than an ATT R1 in fewer passes.

I have tough beard and extremely sensitive skin - atopic, and probe to psoriasis. 99% of shaving with any razor is an about how you use it. Pretty much any razor I own mild or aggressive can be used daily with the right blade, angle and lightness of touch - some just take more effort and control.

The advantage of the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur 34C is not just their mildness but theur range of shaving angle. This is a key reason why they are recommended to new DE shavers, and often why people trying out razors like the ROCCA, or the Feather ASD2 get frustrated. I think this flexibility is sometimes confused with efficiency. The R41 is a very aggressive razor but also shares this efficiency. It works really well for rough beard and sensitive skin and shouldn't be ruled out necessarily.

An adjustable razor like the Merkur Progress or Parker Variant can be dialed down. This provides extra possibilities for tough beard / sensitive skin, because you can dial up the WTG pass and dial down the XTG7/ATG passes. This means less trauma for the skin and a good level of efficiency for hair cutting.

In terms of European availability, I live in the UK and as a reference for the razors I have bought here is a selection in ascending efficiency. (my personal opinion - YMMV)

1. Razorock Mamba
2. Edwin Jagger DE89
3. RAZOROCK Gamechanger. 68
4. Merkur 34C
5. Executive Shaving Brave heart
6. Muhle Rocca / Fatip Piccolo
7. Muhle R41

Others may disagree with that order.

What you are describing is my current ideal. Gillette Aristocrat Jr. or the Gillette HD 500. Made in England in the 1950's, easily available in Europe.

A 30-40 mark is preferable
You should try the Fatip Testina Gentile or the Fatip Piccolo if that is your budget; all brass and the latest version shaves similar to the Merkur 34C. The Piccolo open comb may be a little more aggressive than the 34C. They are readily available in Europe.

I have a Fatip Grande and Picolo Special edition . It is written that they are brass.

Special edition has both plates and is under 25 euro each. I recommend it, you will have a lot of options to try for many years.

R

romsitsa

Rotbart, the Single ring clone type. It’s midway between the thin and thick cap Single ring and will last forever.

Adam

Id suggest a Fatip Piccolo maybe or a Baili BR 173, the Upgrade head, which is very smooth AND efficient. Tha Baili is available @AliExpress for 6€.

I have both of these razors and would recommend them both for everyday use, though the Fatip might be a little bit aggressive...

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Look no further than a Gillette Tech. They have survived since WWII (and some before) and they are unmatched in their simplicity & endurance as well as quality for a daily shaver. They can be bought all day long for under $20 on Ebay or other vendors. ;)

Look no further than a Gillette Tech. They have survived since WWII (and some before) and they are unmatched in their simplicity & endurance as well as quality for a daily shaver. They can be bought all day long for under $20 on Ebay or other vendors. ;)
The Tech is what you need.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a mild, but efficient enogh razor for everyday shaving. Tougher whiskers, sensitive skin. I need something that won't rot in a year, but doesn't have to last me a lifetime. And it needs to be widely available in Europe. Now, i guess most suggestions will be either merkur or muhle, so if there's anyone who owns both, please compare and add pros and cons. I would like it to be budget friendly, so for max 50-60 bucks id like a durable beast. A 30-40 mark is preferable. If you have generally available razorsbin europe that also fit the billal, and think they are better than muhle or merkur, please say so :) . Id like it to last a decade. And yes, please, let it align the blade perfectly anytime, as i don't want to go through this pain again.

Thanks

Thanks

Do you prefer new or vintage? What type of handle do you prefer (length, weight, girth)? Beard type? Sensitive skin? What blades do you prefer in your current razor?

Preferably new.
Tougher beard, sensitive skin. Whiskers somewhat parallel to skin. Handle doesn't matter too much, liked them all, for blades mostly personna reds.
But i do like somewhat steeper angle.

Preferably new.
Tougher beard, sensitive skin. Whiskers somewhat parallel to skin. Handle doesn't matter too much, liked them all, for blades mostly personna reds.
But i do like somewhat steeper angle.

So I would suggest the Muhle R41. In my experience it works well at a steeper angle. A single pass is equal to two passes with my other razors. It is very smooth but requires a gentle touch and slow passes. Blade alignment is not an issue. The head is zamac but with a brass pin and handle. The chrome finish is heavy and well done. Be aware, some find they can't use it daily. I am one of them. I use it on Sunday for a close shave then use a milder razor the rest of the week. Starting the week with the R41 seems to make for better shaves the rest of the week.

If Russia is European enough for you, then consider to get a Saiver through ebay. A new Saiver will cost less than 10 EUR delivered. Despite the price it is a good razor. This razor is meant to be loaded with two blades but I always load it with only one blade like this: cap -> blade separator -> blade -> base plate -> handle. So I skip the blade between the cap and the blade separator. This razor is having no problem with alignment and it is made out of an aircraft grade aluminum composition, so it will not rot.

For a truly European alternative, consider the Merkur bakelite razor. Yes, it is very light weight but still shaving well.

You have tons of great suggestions in this thread, ranging from mild all the way to quite aggressive!

You best bet may be to pick a few to try, then establish what makes you happiest!!

Like you, I have a tough (white) beard and sensitive skin (blue eyes, ruddy complexion). I have found that the two most important factors to a good shave are proper technique (a light touch and the proper shave angle), and a sharp blade.

I have shaved with a variety of razors from the very mild VDH/Weishi TTO to the every efficient Muhle R41 Grade. Some would call the R41 aggressive, but with proper technique, I have no issue with it. Perhaps, my favorite razor is the Parker 24C open comb. It might take a few shaves to figure out the correct shave angle. You are better off shaving off the cap rather than the comb. It is a very efficient razor, but not all that aggressive. I also have a Parker Variant and have used it on settings ranging from "0" to "5+". It does not matter which razor you use as long as your technique is good.

Since you have a tough beard, I advise staying away from blades like Derby Extra, VDH, Merkur and Shark at the low end of the sharpness scale. Any of the Gillette, 7 O'Clock, 7 AM, Astra and Persona blades should be sharp enough. You might find Feather blades to be too rough on the first shave.

Another factor is using a high quality shave soap or cream that provides excellent slickness, excellent cushion and excellent post shave moisturizing and conditioning.

Razorock mamba 70 is on sale now on Italian barber website. It should tick off all boxes in your need Plus a few more !

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I say try the Merkur 34c solid bar or the Parker 24 Open Comb razor. Both are on the mild side but will get the job done.
Everyone will have their own opinion on what is mild or aggressive.

Top Bottom